Kawakami-san's book "Momokuro Ryuu"
  • July 2014
    644 Reputation
    Some things I've learned so far while (slowly) reading his book that I didn't know, while being a relatively new Mononofu.

Kanako and Shiori's contracts were almost up when they were added to the group by Kawakami-san.
    Kanako and Shiori both wrote dance as one of their specialties, but later it was learned that they weren't necessarily good at dancing, just that they liked dancing.
    Reni had been taking tap dancing lessons for about 3 years when she was added to the group.
    Momoclo had 9 people once.
    Shiori was going to leave the group, but Kawakami-san slyly "conned" her into staying.
    Their first performances were all lip-synched.
    The ideas for their catchphrase "Ima Aeru Idol" and their opening theme "Overture" were borrowed from AKB48.

• July 2014
    644 Reputation
    The photos included in the book are from the photo shoot during their Ustream 24 hour broadcast of this year.
    Furuya-san has been a manager of Momoclo since 2009. She's more of a location manager.
    The original name Momoiro Clover was thought up by Kanako's mother.
    When it came time to decide on self-introduction and catch phrases, Kawakami-san picked "Weekend Heroine" and "Tea Field Cinderella."
    Shiori remembers Fujishita-san had enjoyed saying "Hachi hachi hachi hachi dekoppachi," but doesn't remember how she ended up with "Everyone's little sister."
    The name of the fan club Angel Eyes is a tribute to a Stardust Promotion announcement event and trainee unit that was active from '98-2000.

• July 2014
    79 Reputation
    ^wow thanks for sharing this, seems like this book is a nice treat for fans

• July 2014
    644 Reputation
    Kawakami-san has been using the same van to shuttle the girls around since 2007. He bought it when he was the manager of Sawajiri Erika.
    During their 2009 Yamada Denki electronics store tour, there were only 4 staff members (2 being Kawakami-san and Furuya-san).
    Those staff members refer to the tour as the "ETC Tour." During that time, traveling on the expressways cost 1000 yen on weekends regardless of distance traveled if using an ETC card.
    When they went to Fukuoka for the 2009 tour, they sent the girls by highway bus in case there was an accident involving the vans.

• InvaderInvader

July 2014
    1774 Reputation

The name of the fan club Angel Eyes is a tribute to a Stardust Promotion announcement event and trainee unit that was active from '98-2000.

Fun fact that I read somewhere is that Kojima Haruna from AKB48 used to be on that unit.

Thank you for all the information. I wish they would make their story into a documentary instead of a book, at least with images I could pretend I understand what they're saying :))

• OM617OM617

July 2014
    176 Reputation
    Do you have a link where we can get the book?

• July 2014
    567 Reputation

• AzureusAzureus

July 2014
    1484 Reputation
    That book will ship to me next week including with Momoclo new single. I will post some scans when it arrive.

• OM617OM617

July 2014
    176 Reputation
    (Oops, wrong thread to post this comment)

• July 2014
    644 Reputation
    Which Blu-ray? Kokuritsu?

• OM617OM617

July 2014
    176 Reputation
    Wrong thread...

Now I can say I just bought the book.

• July 2014
    644 Reputation
    After releasing Kaitou Shoujo, they changed labels from Universal to King Records because Kawakami-san felt Universal was too restricting with what they were allowed to do.
    It was after Idol Unit Summer Festival 2010 that Kawakami-san seriously reflected on their lip-synching and decided that they have to properly sing and dance. S/mileage left an impression on him.
    Reni thought about quitting after their performance on May 30, 2010 Music Japan idol special broadcast. It's because they had such a large viewing audience, and she was so happy that when they returned to their normal small venues, it was a big shock.
    When they had their first Momoiro Christmas Live in 2010, Kawakami-san was worried they wouldn't be able to fill the venue's 1,500+ seats, but tickets sold out in 30 minutes.
    When considered making a variety TV program, Kawakami-san didn't want the girls to be in a show that showed them failing on purpose in order to make the viewers laugh. ("落として"笑う構成)

I'm up to where Akari decided to leave, and it's going to turn me into a big ball of emotion.

• July 2014
    212 Reputation

When considered making a variety TV program, Kawakami-san didn't want the girls to be in a show that showed them failing on purpose in order to make the viewers laugh. ("落として"笑う構成)

Poor kanako.
    :))

• July 2014
    644 Reputation
    Out of all the members, Kawakami-san was Akari's manager from the very beginning.
    He hoped she would change her mind, but when he realized she wouldn't, he focused his attention on the other 5 members.
    Some other ideas for their name change were "Momoiro Clover Great" and "Momoiro Clover Kai" (lol Dragonball influenced).
    Kawakami-san didn't want the girls to be the kind of group that only does what they're told. He wants them to think and learn for themselves, so Nanaban Shoubu was one of the results of that.
    The seasonal concerts are based off pro-wrestling seasonal events (of course lol).
    Why Momokuri 2013 was at Seibu Dome and not Saitama Super Arena is because Saitama Super Arena was unavailable for that date. (2011, 2012 were at Saitama Super Arena, as 2014 will be!)

• August 2014
    50 Reputation
    wow this is incredible, thanks so much!

• August 2014
    300 Reputation
    (long time no see)
    The thing that consistently amazes me is that Kawakami can write this whole huge history out, year by year. (Literally, chapters are devoted to each year) and 2012 doesn't have anything specific to say about Hyadain. He writes paragraphs about the (IMO uninteresting) collaboration with Nakashima Miyuki but nothing about the song-writer who made 2012 into what it was. Oh well, just reinforces the feeling that something happened and Maeyamada has been stuffed in the fridge.

• August 2014
    300 Reputation
    Just wanted to add that I liked the 2nd half of the book quite a bit. Where Kawakami & 1 member are interviewed (each member twice, for 10 interviews). Less repetition, more context for what people say. But also not technically original content (not that I had seen the original publication).

Pretty interesting book, and more literal truth than you get than when Mr. Kojima writes about MomoClo but that also means less of a story.

• August 2014
    644 Reputation
    You seemed to breeze through the book. I'm not even done with 2012 and I haven't been reading it since I've been busy.

• August 2014
    39 Reputation
    Greyface said:

(long time no see)
    The thing that consistently amazes me is that Kawakami can write this whole huge history out, year by year. (Literally, chapters are devoted to each year) and 2012 doesn't have anything specific to say about Hyadain. He writes paragraphs about the (IMO uninteresting) collaboration with Nakashima Miyuki but nothing about the song-writer who made 2012 into what it was. Oh well, just reinforces the feeling that something happened and Maeyamada has been stuffed in the fridge.

That's too bad, if kwkm deliberately excluded mention of Hyadain because of any personal falling-out. It will be something he'll regret eventually. If it's true, of course. Not that I'm doubting what you read (or didn't read), but it may have been a mere oversight. I don't think either kwkm or Hyadain have said anything about a falling-out, have they?

But more importantly, you and MCZTamanofu are going to whip up a complete English translation for the rest of us now, right? :D

• September 2014
    300 Reputation
    @MCZTamanofu
    I'm a teacher... so it was summer vacation. I spent like a week at coffee shops reading.

@atmospherium
    I didn't feel any gap where Hyadain should have been. It didn't feel like he was talking around him. It's totally possible that Kawakami just never cared about Hyadain's work. Or that thinking about it now, he doesn't think it was important.
    But personally, I find those things hard to believe because of how much of an impact Hydain made on me.

My problem with working on translations for this book is that I feel bad/insufficient translating members' directly quoted words. I'm always worried that I'm going to give the wrong flavor, or nuance, and people are going to think wrong/different/weird things about the members. And like I said, the interviews were the best part of the book... so, I won't work on the best part?! uhhh, errr... huh...

• Paco

September 2014
    339 Reputation
    Greyface said:

@MCZTamanofu
    It's totally possible that Kawakami just never cared about Hyadain's work. Or that thinking about it now, he doesn't think it was important.
    But personally, I find those things hard to believe because of how much of an impact Hydain made on me.

And don't forget, KWKM had more relation to Hyadain besides Momoclo:

2:13 ...