Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura(坂崎幸之助のももいろフォーク村)
  • December 2015
    372 Reputation
    Got home a couple of hours ago, decided to re-watch the Christmas show. I think I'm just gonna give in at this point, forget about Dylan and Seeger and Johnny Cash and the like, and just embrace Simon and Garfunkel as the only folk act that matters.

• January 2016
    5201 Reputation
    January 28
    [TV] Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura
    ・Hirose Komi
    ・Kondo Fusanosuke
    ・Tsubokura Yuko
    ・Paul Gilbert
    ・WaT

• January 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Interesting line-up!

• January 2016
    66 Reputation
    momomofu said:

January 28
    [TV] Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura
    ・Tsubokura Yuko

Thank you for your always informative notes.
    Am I wrong if I assume that you intended
    坪倉唯子 (TSUBOKURA Yuiko)?

The website seems to report her name and, as an old anime-fan, I already feel very nostalgic...

• January 2016
    5201 Reputation
    Tsubokura Yuko
    Tsubokura Yuiko
    I am sorry that I mistook her name's spelling.

• January 2016
    5201 Reputation
    January 28
    [TV] Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura NEXT #16
    01, Boku no Kimochi(WaT) / Momoclo and WaT
    02, Koyoi Live no Moto de / Momoclo and WaT
    03, Naichaisou Fuyu/ Momoclo and Hirose Komi
    04, Ai ga Areba Daijobu(Hirose Komi) / Kanako and Hirose Komi
    05, Romance no Kamisama(Hirose Komi) / Shiori and Hirose Komi
    06, Odoru Ponpokorin(Chibi Maruko chan theme song) / Momoclo, Tsubokura Yuiko and Kondo Fusanosuke
    07, Good-by Morning(Utoku Keiko and Kondo Fusanosuke) / Reni and Kondo Fusanosuke
    08, THE ROSE(Amanda McBroom) / Momoka and Tsubokura Yuiko
    09, Shogenaideyo Baby(B.B.QUEENS) / Momoclo and Kondo Fusanosuke
    10, Naitemo Iindayo / Momoclo and Tsubokura Yuiko
    11, Rock 'n' roll wa Nariyamanai(Shinsei Kamatte chan) / A-rin, Tsubokura Yuiko, Kondo Fusanosuke and Paul Gilbert
    12, Moretsu Uchu Kokyokyoku Dai Nana Gakusho "Mugen no Ai" / Momoclo and Paul Gilbert
    13, To Be With You(Mr. Big) / Momoka and Paul Gilbert
    14, Hey Jude(THE BEATLES) / Momoclo, Kondo Fusanosuke and Paul Gilbert / GO! GO! GUITAR GIRL Z
    15, 5cm(WaT) / Momotamai, WaT and Paul Gilbert
    16, 24/7 ~Mou Ichido~(WaT) / Shiori, WaT and Paul Gilbert
    17, Hajimari no Toki(WaT) / WaT

Chibi Kanako chan
    Spoiler:

• January 2016
    3398 Reputation
    And ici_jp has already delivered!
    So my mp4 will be uploaded tomorrow :)

• January 2016
    372 Reputation

And ici_jp has already delivered!
    So my mp4 will be uploaded tomorrow :)

Yay...right on time for my day off.

• January 2016
    5201 Reputation

13, To Be With You(Mr. Big) / Momoka and Paul Gilbert

14, Hey Jude(THE BEATLES) / Momoclo, Kondo Fusanosuke and Paul Gilbert / GO! GO! GUITAR GIRL Z

• asan

January 2016
    462 Reputation
    momomofu said:

I had to skip through this because even Tsubokura doesn't know the first thing about English pronunciation. It's like they imitate the vowels from a Bette Midler recording and completely ignore the stuff in between. I know they mean well and try hard, but right now it still comes across as disrespect. Should watch with Japanese people next time, that always switches my brain ^^

• January 2016
    3398 Reputation
    It's probably a totally different perception in Japan but I agree that it's hard to listen to.
    "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" was another number where I twitched several times thinking "No, this song deserves better"
    I know it's easy to say but it would be better to have Japanese lyrics made for these songs
    But again that's looking at it from a Western (and anglicized) standpoint

And here it is:
    http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=96492

image image
    Spoiler:
    image image
    image image
    image image

• January 2016
    372 Reputation
    asan said:

I had to skip through this because even Tsubokura doesn't know the first thing about English pronunciation.

Fun fact about Bette Middler, who made "The Rose" famous: she grew up in Aiea, Honolulu...a majority Asian neighborhood in Hawaii.

I bet you'd have a much harder time understanding the English she grew up surrounded by (and probably even spoke, at some point during her childhood, even though she is white), than how Momoclo pronounce it. And I know she wouldn't have a problem with Japanese accents.

So what exactly are you looking for, in your English pronunciation? Hawaiian English, like they speak where Bette Middler was born? BBC English, like they speak in ONE BUILDING in London, England, on the opposite side of the globe? Standard American, like they speak on US television (and in a few big cities in the US mainland)? Canadian English? South African? Australian? Irish? Scottish?

For me, since this is a Japanese show, I'm happy to listen to English with a Japanese accent. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I'd find it odder if they sounded American or British.

• January 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Oh c'mon. Just even vaguely close proper English would do nicely. And I'm sure you know what I mean

But I'm mainly bothered by it because it takes away her concentration from the performance.
    She's thinking so hard what words to say and how that her singing suffers from it.
    You can sometimes feel the irritation when she notices that something was wrong
    Momoka didn't convince me in both her solo songs this time. And both of them had English lyrics.
    She should concentrate on bringing feelings across, not words
    And that's hard if you don't have a grip on exactly what you're singing

• January 2016
    21 Reputation
    Dialect isn't the issue. It's about clarity and coherence. You can have a thick Irish accent and still be clearly understood. If it's difficult to distinguish words and sounds then that's down to a person's pronunciation. For someone who isn't used to Japanese pronunciation, it's really difficult to understand what they're singing. It's because they tried to imitate the recording instead of learning how to pronounce the words first then learn the song. I can't blame them. Speaking and especially singing in another language requires a lot of time and effort that they don't have. Anyway, I appreciate their efforts because despite having trouble understanding what they were singing, they got the feel of the song and their voices sounded beautiful. I loved it. I love Momoka for having the guts to not only tackle two songs in English but tackling such a beloved song again. Go Momoka!

PS. Hey Jude was great! I loved every minute.

• January 2016
    372 Reputation
    Watching the latest episode now. This is the first time I find myself scrolling back on a Reni song (on Folk Mura, at least). Her and Bounosuke-san (lol) sounded great.

Oh c'mon. Just even vaguely close proper English would do nicely. And I'm sure you know what I mean

But I'm mainly bothered by it because it takes away her concentration from the performance.

I didn't listen to the songs, yet. If her singing suffers, then that's valid criticism. But the pronunciation shouldn't be criticized. Sorry, but I don't see any valid reason why someone even just reading katakana English should bother us. She doesn't speak English. So what? She's a singer, she's allowed to cover famous songs without learning an entire foreign language first.

[edit] just heard it...to my untrained ears, the singing sounded fine...and Tsubokura's pronunciation was flawless. You can hear a Japanese accent, but the pronunciation itself is as clear as it gets.

• January 2016
    372 Reputation
    Oh man, they should've hired a small chorus for Mouretsu. It was epic as it was, but can you imagine Paul Gilbert on guitar, with a chorus behind them?

• January 2016
    66 Reputation
    asan said:

I had to skip through this because even Tsubokura doesn't know the first thing about English pronunciation.

Although I could not yet see the show in its proper form, I cannot completely agree with such an unconditional statement.

Indeed some days ago, I was just playing an old CD with some of the early anime songs composed and performed by herself (like "Twilight" or 「 クライシス 〜怒りをこめて走れ〜」) and obviously noted the very "free" approach in shifting back and forth from proper English to 「カタカナ英語」(so to speak, I know it is not really the right expression).

It was probably typical of the period, but in any case it was mainly done for metrics reasons (e.g. 「スクリーン」 vs. "screen" in one of songs quoted above) and I think she otherwise demonstrated a decent English pronouncing several times, all these years...

• ferizuferizu

February 2016
    52 Reputation
    Hi everyone

I've just found out about this show. I like to see Momoclo doing collaboration with other singers who are more experienced than them. I hope they learned a lot from their seniors in entertainment industry.

I also like the opportunity given to them to learn to play guitar. Perhaps we can imagine that one day Momoclo will compose their own song for mononofu just like what Arashi did for their 10th anniversary. [-O<

• ebizoriebizori

February 2016
    2293 Reputation
    ferizu said:

Perhaps we can imagine that one day Momoclo will compose their own song for mononofu just like what Arashi did for their 10th anniversary. [-O<

It is not so impossible. there is the example of an idol-group "Zone". they have learned to play instruments and then began to compose songs themselves

• February 2016
    5201 Reputation
    February 11
    [TV] Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura NEXT #17
    01, Bokura no Ongaku Theme
    02, WE ARE BORN
    03, Hakkin no Yoake
    04, MAHOROVACATION
    05, Katte ni Kimi ni
    06, Bussouge
    07, Sotsugyou(Saito Yuki) / A-rin and Saito Yuki
    08, Eien(Saito Yuki) / Saito Yuki