[SINGLE]13th Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina
  • ColeenaColeena

January 2015
    174 Reputation

Who did the animation for the video? The style is similar to Kill La Kill. I really liked it.

Not sure if this is confirmed officially anywhere (credits should be in the CD, which isn't out yet), but everyone is pretty sure it's Sushio (lol at his username, Sushiorin).

He's done a ton of Momoclo fanart, I highly recommend checking it out. By the way, does anyone have a source for these? I only saw that Tumblr post and a few random images floating around.

• January 2015
    5201 Reputation
    Sushio's work
    http://natalie.mu/music/news/71472
    Otome Sensou Costume
    Spoiler:

• January 2015
    644 Reputation
    That tumblr says Sushio is the character creator of Kill La Kill, so that makes me happy. (I love Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill.)

• January 2015
    262 Reputation
    good video. song still peters out near the end. chorus still rules.

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation
    I'm starting to be convinced about the jarring end after repeating the song over and over. ;)) The video is directed by the same person who did Gounn, there's a little bit of Gounn vibe in the live action part.
    Coleena said:

He's done a ton of Momoclo fanart, I highly recommend checking it out. By the way, does anyone have a source for these? I only saw that Tumblr post and a few random images floating around.

Those pics are from his twipple account, looks like he started drawing momoclo from around august 2011, a promoted fanboy :)

• January 2015
    5201 Reputation

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation
    woah!
    that doubles with the reference to the giant spider stage in KISS' live concerts

• InvaderInvader

January 2015
    1737 Reputation
    The PV is fantastic. And the song makes more sense once you see the video and get the story.

My favourite moment is Momoka going from drawing to real person.

• InvaderInvader

January 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Made gifs for the animation part (Momoclo) trying new things so I made them as best as I could:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

http://invadermcz.tumblr.com/

• January 2015
    93 Reputation
    So this is probably my new favorite PV. It's so full of references and little details that it's impossible to catch it all in one viewing with the fast pace of it. I feel like I notice something new with every repeat viewing.
    Now we just need to wait to see it live. I usually prefer to watch live performances of Momoclo rather than PV's, but they're gonna need a damn good dance act to one-up this video!
    Like people have already said, the song does end pretty meekly. While I think that somehow it kinda works in the PV, I have a hard time seeing how it will work in a live. Oh, well. Wait and see... ;)

Also, what's with the creepy gorilla-thing looking up Shiori's skirt? :))

• January 2015
    77 Reputation
    The video is so cool.

• January 2015
    91 Reputation
    I looooooooooved the video! *O*
    I'ts so freaking awesome and epic!!!
    The song is even better on the full version.
    I can't describe how proud I am right now *-* Well done girls! Now let's conquer the whole world <3

• January 2015
    66 Reputation
    I add my humble and probably pointless notes of approval to the already maturing enthusiastic reaction.

The song is certainly well placed in a long (but recently compromised) course of bold re-combinations of otherwise obvious source material, from lyrics to orchestrations to visuals.

The latter in particular, were probably at risk of ending up with very bland results.
    Certainly the "post-Gainax" Sushio style cannot really bring any intrinsical novelty today, because he has been using similar formulas since 「 フリクリ」. The post-modern, playful use of Hokusai etc. is nothing new either.

Nonetheless, the result here is spectacular. The animation perfectly completes and contrasts, at the same time, some paradoxical lyrics (「色の無いこの世界」...That's amazing).
    Even the most obvious quotations like the initial, deformed "torii" sequence, ending with the 「極楽門」 (if I read correctly) and the flight scene, are used with great effect.

Also, there is already (even before GOUNN) an established series of doors, gates, portals references (see 「そして今少女は扉 etc.」), that could have resulted in simple repetitions.
    Those are instead intelligently placed here, showing that a careful study was done of previous material and imagery, so important in the history of MCZ.
    [Thinking also of Sushio, 「Z女戦争」 comes to mind, for similar considerations]

The musical text itself, despite its foreign origin, seems very appropriate for the eclectic intention of the work and
    the structure so detached from the typical song form, especially in the end, is also absolutely welcome.

Arrangement is intense but even subtle at times, and the high register employed (something in common with the much criticized "Birth 0 Birth", which incidentally I like) is also a valid tool for emphasizing some contrasts (no need to be always "powerful").

A more serious evaluation can only be done while listening to the entire CD, but here we could really have one the best
    MCZ singles ever.

• January 2015
    91 Reputation
    Wow! Loved yout comments Lynn_Murasaki!

Does anybody here already have the lyrics? I wanna learn the song *-*

• January 2015
    144 Reputation
    Well, I'd say the animated part is quite likely the best thing in any Momoclo PV so far. =D> I felt like it kind of lost focus a while into the live action part, although there's probably a lot of references I'm not really getting. I really feel like both the music and the video need some kind of climactic action before that long outro part; everything about that part still seems really weird to me.

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation
    Let's continue the spot all the references game ;)):

1. Entrances -> Member's well-known standard gimmick
    - Shiorin -> curry rice
    Spoiler:

- A-rin -> cream puff
    Spoiler:

- Momoka -> frog
    Spoiler:

- Reni -> , electricity, doubles with the lighting bolts from KISS' logo
    Spoiler:

2. Main gate -> Gokurakumon (from 2011 summer dive)
    Spoiler:

3. Let's not forget our long lost mascot Momotan
    Spoiler:

4. Red and white mountain -> kouhaku?
    Spoiler:

5. This scene references Reni's ability to perform astral projection back in 2009
    Spoiler:

6. Sushio loves to throw in small rabbits in his works
    Spoiler:

7. Kappareni, from MTV VMAJ 2014 VTR comment
    Spoiler:

8. The whole MV theme is taken from the tale of Minamoto no Yorimitsu and his four retainers (Shitennoh), from a painting by a great ukiyo-e artist Utagawa Kuniyoshi. Giant spider Tsuchigumo in the story parallels KISS' giant spider stage in Monster Tour 2013.
    Spoiler:

9. Shiori's motif came from Sakata no Kintoki a.k.a Kintaro, who fought a giant carp in his youth. Kintaro displays the kanji for gold (金) in his clothes. also a possible shout out to Shiori's running gag of mentioning their lots of gold in tv show.
    Spoiler:

10. Reni's motif came from Usui no Sadamitsu, who made his name slaying a giant snake with chained scythes. Reni's famous hatred of roller coaster is hilariously depicted in the snake riding sequences.
    Spoiler:

11. A-rin's motif came from Watanabe no Tsuna. He is also depicted as a tatefugu wielder in Utagawa Yoshitaki's painting. The writing in A-rin's weapon is "Pichi Pichi" in the animation, and is then changed into "Puni Puni" in the live action. Her summoned beast is oni leader Shuten Douji, their arch enemy in the folktale.
    Spoiler:

12. Momoka's motif came from Urabe no Suetake, a master of bow in "Shumenosuke Urabe no Suetake" tale. Her weapon references her fear of birds, which is a pun on Tori ga yada (hates birds) to Tori ga ya da (Bird arrow).
    Spoiler:

13. Kanako is Minamoto no Yorimitsu, but well the only thing they have in common is the 'leader' status. The brush is a reference to Kokuritsu concert logo and the heart insignia in the back is most likely a throwback to the big heart costume of Mirai Bowl.
    Spoiler:

14. KISS also wants the shout out, oh, of course!
    Spoiler:

15. GOUNN sequence, same director
    Spoiler:

director: Masatsugu Nagazoe (GOUNN)
    animation: Sushio (confirmed)

• January 2015
    262 Reputation
    good grief, man. nice work.

• January 2015
    77 Reputation
    ^^Indeed. Wonderful analysis.

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation
    actually there's still a lot of small details to be added, like the samurai banner that can be traced back to their surprise event in 2010, even Natalie didn't have a report on this. Shiori that always has time for curry rice is a nod to the backstage story at 2011 Zepp Tokyo concert, and maybe tons of other references still linger there. Sushio is such a big fan ;))
    ----
    found the lyrics, since the cd has yet to be released, of course it's unofficial
    Spoiler:

Saa, sa minasan kitte
    Yoni mo ahou na higeki
    Datte, ningen da mono
    Datte, ikite iru nda mon

Ho, ho, hotaru koi
    A, a, acchi muite hoi
    Yosomi shiteru uchi ni
    Shiawasettara nigete yuku

Iro no nai kono sekai nurikaero do hade ni
    Kenran gouka daredatte isshou yumemi hito sa
    Sono jinsei wo irodoru no wa ai to