What's your guys opinion on Ayaka Sasaki's singing voice?
  • MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    This may sound like a stupid question since I am in a website that's about Momoiro Clover Z (heck, I consider her my favorite member), but I really need to know what you guys really make of it.

What do you guys make of her singing voice? Plus, how would you defend anyone who finds her voice "whiny and annoying"?

• January 2016
    446 Reputation
    I think she's the second best singer in Momoclo, behind Momoka.

• January 2016
    38 Reputation
    perfection

tell them to get better opinions

• ebizoriebizori

January 2016
    2806 Reputation
    excuse me, but listening to her singing on Momoiro Countdown 2015 I can not call her "second best singer in Momoclo". It's a pity, but she sang worst

• January 2016
    322 Reputation
    I can say for sure that I wish she could try out singing at a lower pitch cause that's how she speaks naturally and I prefer her speaking voice. But she's the "classic cute idol" of the group so she has to keep up that image for people who do like that. I think it took a lot of guts to even get her hair cut for fear of disappointing her fans.
    So to answer the question, I'm okay with her singing voice, but I wish she would experiment with it more.

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    @nemurenatta Even though I prefer her long hair, she still looks venice with her new hairstyle, especially in this event:

• ebizoriebizori

January 2016
    2806 Reputation
    I'm okay with her singing voice too. but sometimes she makes so many vocal mistakes. it is unacceptable for even "pink-style idol". Kanako, Shiori and Reni are not strong singers too, but I don't remember they sang so weak.

• January 2016
    446 Reputation
    ebizori said:

excuse me, but listening to her singing on Momoiro Countdown 2015 I can not call her "second best singer in Momoclo". It's a pity, but she sang worst

Maybe you shouldn't judge it based on just one show.

• January 2016
    4652 Reputation
    I actually think that Ahrin is better than the other three most of the time.
    If a real need arises to defend anything I'd say that it's not important whether they are good singers or not.
    They're idols. They sing, dance, act, model and entertain.
    Their job is to make people smile.
    And that they can do a lot better than most high class singers
    Hyadain once declared idols to be modern day Geishas :)

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation

If a real need arises to defend anything I'd say that it's not important whether they are good singers or not.
    They're idols. They sing, dance, act, model and entertain.
    Their job is to make people smile.

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    While you are correct about that, there are hundreds of idols in Japan, yet this group is one of the most popular and one of the best right now, so it can't just be because of there ability to look cute or make people smile that made them successful!

EDIT: I had write two of this because I do not know how to write underneath without it being part of the quote.

• ebizoriebizori

January 2016
    2806 Reputation
    I actually think that Kanako's vocal is better than her. And of cause they are idols and Aarin is admirable idol, it is not discussed)) I like the most Shiori in the group, although I think she has the weakest vocal in five.

• January 2016
    4652 Reputation
    MM305 said:

While you are correct about that, it's their great singing and dancing that mainly factor in why I recently became a fan of them. Heck, there are hundreds of idols in Japan, yet this group is one of the most popular and one of the best right now, so it can't just be because of there ability to look cute or make people smile that made them successful!

EDIT: I had write two of this because I do not know how to write underneath without it being part of the quote.

When you click on "Quote" in the left-hand box of the post you want to respond to a new window will appear at the bottom.
    There you just have to write below the tag

Momoclo's success is a combination of many things (their singing probably being the least important factor. Lol)
    Ebichu is a LOT stronger singing-wise on an individual level.
    Yumi Ishikawa's choreography certainly has played a huge part in their popularity. There are so many moves that are memorable (Ikuze, Saraba, Roudou Sanka, Chai Maxx etc.)
    The fact that Stardust dismissed the erotic aspects thereby making the group acceptable even to the non-idol crowd
    Instead going full-steam on the nutsy characters which brought in that massive mononofu potential.
    And probably a bit of luck and good timing (or kwkm's brilliance) to do this at a time when there was a need for it (HP on the decline and AKB just girls in masses)
    It's all of this combined that made me become a fan

• January 2016
    481 Reputation
    If someone finds her or anyone else's voice annoying (and they probably will, since as a whole they're pretty weak singers), you can't defend them. It's a matter of preference, and you can't make someone like something they've decided they don't. If they like the music, they may eventually get over it and learn to tolerate the voice(s) or even come to enjoy them, but otherwise there's not much you can do to convince them that she's not actually as bad as she may sound. It's a losing battle and ultimately you'll probably just annoy the other person even more by insisting that they listen to more and change their mind.

And, of course, the answer is "because they're idols and they don't have to sing well to be entertaining and worth listening to" is the answer to any condescending questions about why someone like her is a singer or is popular or whatever. When people start getting mean about stuff, they're definitely not worth your time.

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    @Mattthecat Even if singing was not the main priority for them, their singing is tolerable enough for me to become a fan (as well as the dancing)!

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    Lurkette said:

And, of course, the answer is "because they're idols and they don't have to sing well to be entertaining and worth listening to" is the answer to any condescending questions about why someone like her is a singer or is popular or whatever.

Probably so in the idol business in Japan, but being that there are hundreds of idols in Japan, there's got to be a reason why this group is considered one of the best right now! Again maybe for some fans of momoclo, other factors played a role in their love for them, but for me it was primarily their singing and dancing!

• January 2016
    481 Reputation
    Their singing is definitely not the reason for their popularity, lol. AKB didn't become popular through exceptional vocals, either. Nobody listens to idols to hear good singing. If they did, the most popular groups would be on the bottom.

• ebizoriebizori

January 2016
    2806 Reputation
    for me MCZ was a first idol-group. I don't know about existence of idols before. Now I love EbiChu more than MCZ, and listen many other wonderful idol-groups but Momoiro Clover is a first love forever) for their performances and remarkable selection of songs first

and about dancing, for example, I think H!P groups perform more complex dances than MCZ

• January 2016
    4652 Reputation
    Complex yes. The group choreo of Momusu is astonishing at times and great to look at.
    It's something that Momoclo (or Stardust in general) has never even tried.
    And probably for the better. Lol

But original? Something that people keep in mind?
    I think in that regard Momoclo or Syachi beat anyone else (with the exception of Dempa) by a landslide

• MM305

January 2016
    643 Reputation
    Lurkette said:

Their singing is definitely not the reason for their popularity, lol. AKB didn't become popular through exceptional vocals, either. Nobody listens to idols to hear good singing. If they did, the most popular groups would be on the bottom.

You know what this kind've reminds me of? It reminds me why the most popular and successful popular boy bands/girl groups/solo idol singers from the West recieves a lot of criticism and hatred from millions of people (Examples are One Direction, Fifth Harmony, and JB). These artists were designed primarily to make girls fall in love with them and be love(or maybe even sex) icons for females around the world. And they get a lot of success and awards for doing that type of stuff, but yet, recieve some of the most disrespectful criticism I ever saw or read from any other music act that I know of for "not being good singers/dancera. But in Japan, their idols seemed to recieve a lot of love and respect for doing ALMOST the exact same thing (at least, from what I have seen, because I don't often see a lot of hatred/criticism for the idols in Japan as /I see from the idols outside of Japn.) I know for some groups (like Momoclo), it's actually more just about bringing happiness than being love icons, but it's still a very similar role: Don't matter much about the singing or dancing, but more on just being cute/sexy to make people happy).

Maybe embracing thse type of artists is more of a cultural thing in Japan than in the West!

• January 2016
    39 Reputation
    I do find A-rin's voice to be too cutesy at times, but I think that's an affected voice, her idol character's voice. There are times when she sings in a more natural sounding voice, and it's much fuller, deeper and richer. I enjoy that voice very much. I'm afraid I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

Kanako's nasally voice is the one I tolerate more than enjoy. Sorry Leader.