What's your guys opinion on Ayaka Sasaki's singing voice?
  • InvaderInvader

March 2016
    1737 Reputation
    MM305 said:

What do you mean about Momoclo's "annoying" style in your second paragraph?

I meant "annoying" style as in chipmuncky voices, too much energy an little control. That's something that makes a lot of people like Momoclo, but also why some people could never get into them.

I remember on another forum someone was asked "why don't you like momoclo?" and the answer was something like "because I don't like being yelled at". And even though they've got better, I can't argue with that. Heck, I got into them for how bad yet hilarious their singing was on Girls Factory (when they wore the rodou sanka outfits).

I think their voices are much more torelable once you love the girls, but for a lot of people who don't know them, their voices is what keeps them away.

• MM305

March 2016
    436 Reputation
    Invader said:

MM305 said:

What do you mean about Momoclo's "annoying" style in your second paragraph?

I meant "annoying" style as in chipmuncky voices, too much energy an little control. That's something that makes a lot of people like Momoclo, but also why some people could never get into them.

I remember on another forum someone was asked "why don't you like momoclo?" and the answer was something like "because I don't like being yelled at". And even though they've got better, I can't argue with that. Heck, I got into them for how bad yet hilarious their singing was on Girls Factory (when they wore the rodou sanka outfits).

I think their voices are much more torelable once you love the girls, but for a lot of people who don't know them, their voices is what keeps them away.

My arguement here would be that this syle, generally applies to (almost) all idol singers!! Momoclo is not the only group that I know that can and has annoyed/shocked/surprised people because of their chipmunky voices. I've seen reaction vidoes and comments from people who were annoyed/shocked/surprised to hear high-pitch singing from Perfume, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, and even freaking BABYMETAL (even though a lot of their fans will tell you that Su-Metal voice is unlike any other idol singer).

Not that I blame anyone for feeling that way, but my point is that Momoclo is certainly NOT the only idol group that annoys a lot people through their high-pitch singing.

• March 2016
    3398 Reputation
    True enough and I think it applies to a lot of idol groups. But it's certainly more extreme than other groups (though not as extreme as Syachihoko or Dempa). And I believe it was intended that way. The aggressiveness was/is part of their success. But it's not everyone's style. And that's okay.

Btw would you be kind enough to tell me why you have to quote a whole post when that post you are replying to is DIRECTLY above yours?

• MM305

March 2016
    436 Reputation
    Just became a a habit of mine, probably because a lot of people quote here!!

By the way, what do you mean by "extreme"?

• March 2016
    3398 Reputation
    See? It just makes more pleasant because reading without having to scroll down stuff you just read a second ago :)

The loudest F1 engine I ever heard was the 1970s Matra V12. It really hurt physically when one of those cars went by
    Spoiler:

When Syachihoko members start talking (all at once) they do come close in volume while the Dempas rival it when it comes to the high pitch :)

All that is intentional as well. But I can understand people not being too fond of it.
    I often hear "they do have high voices, don't they..."
    They do of course but a lot has to do with the anime style I guess
    I myself sometimes think "okay, a bit less would be fine as well" but then I'm not into anime...

• InvaderInvader

March 2016
    1737 Reputation

When Syachihoko members start talking (all at once) they do come close in volume while the Dempas rival it when it comes to the high pitch :)

That reminds me of the first time Syachi woke up Momoclo on the 24h Ustream, all of them screaming at the same time was too much for my poor ears. I can't even imagine what it must feel like if they scream at you in real life.

• MM305

March 2016
    436 Reputation
    Wonder what Momoclo's staff were thinking about during the girls reaction of the NHK Kohaku Uta Gassen announcement (other than "congratualations!!" of course):

This reaction must have been one of those guilty pleasures for fans and the staff!!

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation

See? It just makes more pleasant because reading without having to scroll down stuff you just read a second ago :)

The loudest F1 engine I ever heard was the 1970s Matra V12. It really hurt physically when one of those cars went by

Spoiler:

All that is intentional as well. But I can understand people not being too fond of it.
    I often hear "they do have high voices, don't they..."
    They do of course but a lot has to do with the anime style I guess
    I myself sometimes think "okay, a bit less would be fine as well" but then I'm not into anime...

How did you (and Invader) got to a point where you actually now like the chimpmunky voices from idols (or didn't find it as annoying as you first did)?

• June 2016
    242 Reputation
    I guess it's just a matter of 'getting used to it'. Similarly, I thought Ebichu's aiai's speaking voice was quite ridiculous when I first heard it but now I've heard it more often it's less jarring. The same, incidentally, goes for enjoying stuff like extreme metal 'grunting', for example. Just by having heard it more often, it becomes more pleasant (or less unpleasant, depending on your musical preferences). This whole thing is driven by what's called the 'familiarity principle'.

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    I find it interesting that we all find these idols "interesting" enough though, to continue hearing and watching them despite not being pleased at first!

• June 2016
    242 Reputation
    For me at least it's not so much a problem if I don't like 1 out of 5 in the case of Momoclo, 1 out of 8 in the case of Ebichu from the first listen. For both groups, the songs in general are musically pretty interesting, which helps. Watching those girls giving it their all, doing silly things and having a blast both on stage and off, I can't help but smile. I guess that in the end, that is what most of all makes Momoclo and Ebichu special to me. They never fail to make my day.

You'll probably have your own reasons for supporting them, different from mine. Final point that I'd like to make is that sticking with a group is not so much something unique to the genre. If I had a penny for every band that I stuck with despite their music not being perfect, I would be a rich man. The first time I heard a Metallica song, I hated it. Doesn't stop me from listening to them.

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    What does "sticking with a group" mean?

And your Metallica analogy is what I'm trying to ask, because most people would just reject and stay away from listening/watching to these idols after first experience. The only way those people would have a chance to listen to experience them again would be if someone approached to them with it or if their ear was forced into it (by social media/popular culture/someone/etc).

How did you (and those people) ended up giving them a second chance?

• June 2016
    242 Reputation
    I guess by 'sticking with a group' I mean becoming a proper fan of them, not just superficially listening to their music, but enjoying learning about the members of the band and whatnot. I realize that's not the way most people appreciate music, but it is the way I do. Quite possibly, it is also the way of most people on this board. The people who are really big-time into artists self-select into membership, of course.

Moving on, the only way people are going to get into a certain group or band is if they want to. There has to be a fundamental level of interest of investing time/money to listen to a group or band. Again as I've said before, I think that's true for any music, whether it's a rock band, jazz ensemble, or idol group.

Therefore, I wouldn't call it a second chance at all, simply because you're not going to love any one band after just one listen. It takes time. So, Ahrin's mediocre singing, or Metallica's off-putting hard hitting was not enough to put off my interest in the group of five energetic girls that were fun to watch and listen to, or the group that masterfully combined heavy music with melody respectively.

Therefore, I think the question you should be asking would rather be: 'what gave you that fundamental level of interest to get into Momoclo?' The answer to that question can be read in my previous post. Of course, I can't speak for anyone but myself.

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    My answer would be that it kind've reminds me of how I got first got hooked into BABYMETAL, but this time, it's with girls who are around my age group. Although, there music didn't had that addiction vibe that BM did when I first listened to them, even though I loved some of them at first listen. But it took several listens for me to love their other music.

Heck, to this day, I still wonder how I ended up really liking Otome Sensou after feeling so underwhelmed about it at first. Though to confess, I would only listened to it while watching the music video, because the girls looked really charming in that video despite being at a younger age (ESPECIALLY Ayaka).

God I hate admitting that the girls' charm plays a part with my obssession with them.

• ebizoriebizori

June 2016
    2293 Reputation
    It can be different. I hated MCZ when I saw them first time (performed Moonlight Densetsu, they make it awfully), but I loved EbiChu for the first sight, when I saw their performance on MCZ's live, I loved BellringGH from first PV and many other favorite idol groups too. but sometimes it takes time for love appears (like with Yurumerumo or Hauptharmonie for me)

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    Which Moonlight Densetsu performance was it? And how did you ended up liking MCZ after that?

• ebizoriebizori

June 2016
    2293 Reputation
    from Sailor Moon Crystal concert, I got interested in their images not music first, i did'nt know about idols and thought their color-coded system is something unique)) and I was attracted much at once by Shiorin, first month I saw MCZ only because of her)

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    Was it this performance you were talking about?

• ebizoriebizori

June 2016
    2293 Reputation
    yes

• MM305

June 2016
    436 Reputation
    Figures since even MCZ fans themselves felt the same way, but they certainly did better in their other performances of this song (at least in my opinion).