DO MOMOIRO CLOVER Z GILRS HAVE A BOYFRIEND?
  • March 2017
    10 Reputation
    DO GIRLS HAVE A BOYFRIEND??
    THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ROUNDING MY HEAD SINCE 2 WEEKS AGO..
    REGARDS¡¡¡

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    hm... Do you know what Japanese idols are like?

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    Some idols do, some idols don't
    Some of those who do are able to hide that fact successfully
    Other don't and get fired due to the no-boyfriend rule
    Some simply don't have the time for romantic interests
    Anyway a pretty active 20+ girl will rarely be a nun all the time.

Everything else will be left to your imagination.
    And even that is part of the game :)

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    "Some of those who do are able to hide that fact successfully"

and of course we know that they have and know that they are able to hide it succesfully)

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    But may be there are no such idols that have a boyfriend and are able to hide it successfully

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    And there are only idols that had boyfriends but they were not able to hide it successfully

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    Best example are Aya Matsuura and Keita Tachibana
    They met when they were appx. 14/15

And married ten years later when they weren't idols anymore :)

And were successful hiding it basically
    Despite everyone knowing it :)

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    Anyhow for Momoclo there haven't even been rumors yet
    So they're good! :)
    (and Stardust is protecting them as much as possible I think)

• March 2017
    372 Reputation
    I seem to remember Kawakami (their manager) say that Momoclo don't have any conditions in their contracts that concern their personal lives. In other words, they can't be fired for having a boyfriend. Or girlfriend. Or two of each, for that matter.

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    May be, but this doesn't concern the views of idol fans on it
    I remember a little scandal when Aarin was filmed together with a schoolmate accompanying her

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    Probably not. Though I don't think management would be too thrilled either.
    Because not all fans would be as tolerant.
    But that's what I meant with "protecting them"
    The no males stuff is still part of idol kayfabe, so discretion is the key word here

• March 2017
    372 Reputation
    ebizori said:

Momoiro Clover Z aren't typical idols, and their fans aren't typical idol fans. They haven't been for years, but the fact that they're in their early 20s now (in fact Reni will be 24 in three months) removes any hope that they can appeal to fans who need their idols to be middle or high school age virgins.

If they're to be successful, they need to own up to the fact that they're adults now, and seek to appeal to an audience that is interested in them as adults. Which they're doing, so they should be fine.

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    I wouldn't be too sure about male Momoclo fans not being typical in that regard.
    And in many respects Momoclo are a typical idol group. We often just want to believe that they aren't :)
    And those fans started their following when they were young. And the oshi-syndrome won't go away that easily

• March 2017
    372 Reputation

And in many respects Momoclo are a typical idol group.

If you say so. I can't think of many. They're even moving away from the complex dance choreography idols typically rely on during live performances. These days, at least half the songs on a Momoclo live DVD are choreography-free.

• MM305

March 2017
    436 Reputation

ebizori said:

Momoiro Clover Z aren't typical idols, and their fans aren't typical idol fans. They haven't been for years, but the fact that they're in their early 20s now (in fact Reni will be 24 in three months) removes any hope that they can appeal to fans who need their idols to be middle or high school age virgins.

If they're to be successful, they need to own up to the fact that they're adults now, and seek to appeal to an audience that is interested in them as adults. Which they're doing, so they should be fine.

To me though, the fact that they still possess that young look and attitude, they'll will NEVER be viewed as serious adults! Meaning that folks would approach them in a more caring than they would with any serious adults (it's like talking to a baby/kid, except they wouldn't give them any baby talks). Even Lenne Hardt refer to these adults as "little girls"!

It's like what I said in my "Who do you think is the Most Beautiful/Prettiest MCZ Member?" thread (where Mattthecat mentioned that he doesn't think they are beautiful in a "conventional" sense): There are ladies like Perfume (the girl group) that posses that stunning/mature look that'll make males you feel more "sexually" attracted to them, then there's MCZ who possess that young/pretty/kawaii look (as most idol groups do) that makes you feel like they are the cutest things on planet Earth and would want to hug them!

• March 2017
    3399 Reputation
    There are quite a few idol groups who don't really have great dance routines
    Momoclo still do the whole idol route: Singing, dancing, acting, variety, even a bit of photo sessions on Hustle Press
    They have the color scheme and the roleplaying.
    And they're there to entertain and make you smile. That's the core of being an idol

The thing that still differentiates them the most is the fact that they don't cater to the erotic appeal.
    Which is certainly an important difference

But I think we're going away from the original question at the moment :)
    I believe there are still enough male fans who would be p....d off if it became known that their favorite member had a boyfriend

• March 2017
    904 Reputation
    The question has been asked on Tsurube. The girls said they never really had plans on getting a romantic partner during their career. They admitted that dating is allowed but they just never considered it.
    Of course, I think when they do get boyfriends/girlfriends, they'll just have to find a proper way of announcing it. Otherwise, keep it secret until they get married.

• MM305

March 2017
    436 Reputation
    I hope there's a way for them to be in a relationship without it negatively affecting their career/image (that is, if they want to be in one).

I just can't imagine them permanently udateable while pursuing their MCZ career!

• vimoralvimoral

March 2017
    1424 Reputation

I seem to remember Kawakami (their manager) say that Momoclo don't have any conditions in their contracts that concern their personal lives. In other words, they can't be fired for having a boyfriend. Or girlfriend. Or two of each, for that matter.

I remember this interview too

• March 2017
    372 Reputation

There are quite a few idol groups who don't really have great dance routines
    Momoclo still do the whole idol route: Singing, dancing, acting, variety, even a bit of photo sessions on Hustle Press
    They have the color scheme and the roleplaying.
    And they're there to entertain and make you smile. That's the core of being an idol

The thing that still differentiates them the most is the fact that they don't cater to the erotic appeal.
    Which is certainly an important difference

Most of these things aren't specific to Japanese idols, they're specific to pop stars in general. Western pop stars do the same things. Variety/comedy talk shows, light acting, singing, dancing, voice work, photo sessions for magazines are all pop star things.

The five things I can think of off the top of my head, that make groups like Momusu and AKB different from western pop stars (these are the things western articles tend to lead with, when they're trying to explain the difference between Japanese idols and western pop stars) are:
    1. the no boyfriend rule
    2. the unusual, erotic photobooks and DVDs they sell directly to fans (western pop stars do erotic stuff too, but they don't sell them directly, they do them as an image building mechanism, for free, for magazines...and while they may have more nudity because nudity is less tabu in the west, they're still not quite as overtly sexual as the idol DVDs)
    3. the "expiration date" when they reach their early 20s, with a new generation of young girls being rolled in
    4. the handshake events, and all the other unusual things they do to sell multiple copies of the same product
    5. the virtually male-only audience

Momoclo don't have any of that. If anything, they're less gimmicky and niche than even modern western pop stars. They're like a 70s, 80s or 90s all female pop act, aimed at the widest possible audience (both genders, and all ages).

As for the color scheme, that's from a TV show (Gorenjai). Did any other idol group do it before Momoclo?

• ebizoriebizori

March 2017
    2293 Reputation
    It seems HP groups used color scheme before Momoclo