Not exactly goods, but something interesting...
  • May 2017
    96 Reputation
    So I like to collect original Japanese TV show and movie scripts, usually of tokusatsu or anime. So recently at an auction site I regular, I found some listings for some Beppin San scripts, and I won 2 of them! I haven't found much information about script collecting online, at least as it pertains to Japanese stuff (which seems easier to get a hold of than American stuff). For big time movies in America, it's cheaper to go for reproductions, but I like to have the real stuff that was actually used on set. Sometimes there are some very cool and interesting things inside of these! Some have the lyrics to theme songs, drawings of characters, maps of the filming locations or studio, contact info for staff, scene layouts, etc. Of course they all have character lines. It's really cool when I find one all written up with personal handwriting from whichever cast or crew member used the script! Unfortunately these 2 are pretty standard fare, and don't have any personal writings inside. My bet is that they were either unused or simply used by a crew member who had little reason to do much with them. Still, you may find some of these things interesting. Anyhow, I'll share some pics with the little bit of knowledge I have about them.

Here are the front covers. I have volumes 5-6. Since the episodes are so short, each volume contains 6 episodes, so these are the scripts for Eps. 25-36:

And the spines:

Spoiler:

The back covers:

Spoiler:

So you may have noticed something strange on the front covers, a little spot with something blacked out. So scripts are usually numbered, and those numbers are assigned to cast and crew. Well, apparently no one wants to be caught giving away or selling their scripts to the secondary market, so they scribble out the script numbers. here's a closeup:

Spoiler:

In the front pages, there's a comprehensive list of crew and cast, along with their agencies. Kanako's character is Ryoko Tada. Can you spot Kanako's name, 百田夏菜子? At the bottom of the page, it even shows which episodes the cast appear in. As you can see, Kanako isn't in Ep. 29:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Next up is a page that shows scenes for each episode. Here's episode 25's scenes. Again, can you find Kanako?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And finally we have a page from the script itself. The first pic turned out a bit blurry. Sorry about that. One last time, can you spot Kanako? You'll have to find the kanji for her character, Ryoko:

Spoiler:

Spoiler: