What is up with that gesture?
  • ThomasThomas

January 2013
    12 Reputation
    Hello,

from time to time the girls do this gesture:

What does it supposed to mean?
    Spoiler:
    It looks as if they would promote their . . . cat ;-)

Does it represent a kanji?

• erimeaerimea

January 2013
    74 Reputation
    ^

Its called "komanechi" :D made popular by takeshi kitano a japanese comedian. It seems that it came from nadia comaneci (gymnast/olympian) cuz she's well known for that pose. Hope that helps :D

• asan

January 2013
    462 Reputation
    On Momokurochan 26 Aarin said she hated it at first since she wanted to be cute, but now it's part of the fun.

• erimeaerimea

January 2013
    74 Reputation
    ^

I think its cute and wierd at the same time xD i always get the "what are you doing? You're so weird" look whenever i do it so i feel for a-rin :D

• yveliiyvelii

January 2013
    11 Reputation
    At first I was really surprised, so I make some researchs ><
    And thank you, you were right. :p
    Spoiler:

• eyelesseyeless

January 2013
    2265 Reputation
    It's like their statement for "No, we're nothing like any other idol groups" .. so they do that pose /nyahaha

• yveliiyvelii

January 2013
    11 Reputation
    This position is used by other people and idols groups, like the rokkies of the H!P for example^^
    (I talked about it to friends who all told me it was clear for them, and a lot of people do it)

Infortunately I can not find any pictures, but maby Erimea have something for us ? :p

• eyelesseyeless

January 2013
    2265 Reputation
    Lol, nah, don't take it too literally. I didn't say any other idol groups have never done this pose and it's exclusive to Momoclo only.

But I saw a video which Kanako herself said that usually idol group will do a cute pose, while Momoclo is not like that and they do the komanechi

• erimeaerimea

January 2013
    74 Reputation
    Komanechi is too err ... Awkward for an idol to do. Only momoclo is one of the few that can pull it off.

Sorry i dont have any pics that can help. Honestly, i dont follow any other idol groups besides momoclo (and i dont think ill follow anyone besides them) i found out the dance from watching kitano san :D

Ps. his "takeshi's castle" is sooo part of my life <3 love that show!

• yveliiyvelii

January 2013
    11 Reputation
    Ha, me too Erimea I do not follow other idol groups, I'm happy to not being alone. :p
    When I talked about it to my friends, they all reacts like it was logic, and they all told me Momoclo weren't the only idol group to do that. If I told you that Eyeless, it wasn't for saying you are wrong, just for you to know that. ^^

(because, I made a french blog about Momoclo and at first I wrote that it was, again, a signification of their originality, so then my friends told me that a lot of people, and more especially idols, did that)

Anyway, it's fun because now, when we'll find some random komanechi pictures we will put them here. /blee

• January 2013
    300 Reputation
    (Just signed up...)

It wasn't that Nadia Comaneci DID that gesture... Kitano was making fun of the high-legged leotard that she wore. Of course idols don't want to do that, because the whole purpose is to call attention to their private parts...
    But MomoClo is not your average idol group ;)

• January 2013
    5759 Reputation
    笑劇!! ビートたけしvsナディア・コマネチ ~歴史的対談~

Spoiler:

• eyelesseyeless

January 2013
    2265 Reputation
    But probably only Momoclo make it as part of choreography

• yveliiyvelii

January 2013
    11 Reputation
    Waw, you are just awesome guys, thank you for your help !

• January 2013
    5759 Reputation
    I don't have detailed information about other idol groups.
    But I think that Momoclo is using more this gesture than other idol groups.
    Their cheerful character is also loved by many fans.

• erimeaerimea

January 2013
    74 Reputation
    @greyface thanks for the correction! i havent seen ms. nadia in any vids so your explanation makes a lot of sense :D tnx!

@yvelli gimme a big high five!! (^_^)/ \(^_^) also your website is great! it helped me alot when i was at the "getting to know them"-stage back then :)

• January 2013
    39 Reputation
    I've never seen a photo of Nadia Comaneci or any gymnast doing a pose even similar to that. I don't think it's all that comical, but Japan can do what Japan wants. :wink: Here is the famous Nadia pose:
    Now that I look at it, it's very similar to Momoclo's choreo during Saraba, isn't it? :-D

• SeijyaSeijya

January 2013
    10 Reputation
    Nadia Comaneci's wear was high-cut? at the time, so Takeshi Kitano (Beat Takeshi) emphasize the part and made funny gesture. The gag was somehow big hit and became one of Takeshi's best gag. So, still today in Japan people do the gesture bring on laughter by conditioned reflex, Specialy young girls do little indecent(?) pose.

• zen

January 2013
    10 Reputation
    kasai from akb48 did that in public and she keep on saying she cant marry
    anymore(must be embarrassing for her)but momoiro clover do that everytime /rofl