Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura(坂崎幸之助のももいろフォーク村)
  • honkey5honkey5

March 2015
    304 Reputation
    Im torn with this episode.

I dont wanna see it since im partial to momokachan and from what you guys describe, it gets really uncomfortable to watch. On the other hand i´m curious to hear the songs since the Yuki Saito song is one of my all time favorite school-related songs ever. I wonder how A-rin manages that one

• March 2015
    77 Reputation
    ^^ Me too. It's a bit heartbreaking because it's a very listless performance but her voice is still gorgeous as ever.

Aarin is fantastic. I loved her.

• March 2015
    372 Reputation
    asan said:

There was a lot of bad judgement in this episode, mostly by Kikuchi P.

I'm really not confident in my Japanese this time, but afterwards he seems to have blogged that Momoka should man up and go with the flow.

For the oblivious people: Momoka knew neither that there'd be a birthday thing nor that she'd sing that first song, and it completely ruined her day, because she likes to be at her best. Shiori again got a song outside her range.

Why? She sings that song on a live album (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/KIXM-182 ), and she does very well (precisely because the song goes great with her voice).

I think she just lost her voice. It happens, especially since this may have been recorded after they got bused around all over the place promoting Maku ga Agaru.

As for Momoka, yeah, I agree, things didn't work out so well, but surprising her and seeing what happens is a running gag, and it's usually pretty funny. It turned out to be a bad idea to make her uncomfortable right when she's supposed to sing. Singing is what she seems most passionate about, so she got upset. I'm sure they'll try to be more careful from now on. Plus, she's 20 now, and she's un-fireable (all five of them are), so she should just stand up for herself and tell them to knock it off.

But I don't think you could expect the manager to know she would react this strongly. After all, it was a minor little surprise compared to being blindfolded and taken to a bridge with a bungee jumping platform on it, or getting a surprise birthday cake in front of 50,000 people at the National Stadium.

And once it happened, I don't think pulling her off stage would've made things better. It would've just added to the disappointment, and made her feel like she failed everyone. This way, she got the opportunity to get it together and finish up the show, which she did.

• March 2015
    372 Reputation
    Bin82501 said:

^^ That's really disappointing. I genuinely feel bad for Momoka because I get it. This is her opportunity to really express herself but not to be cruel, she kinda signed up for things like this.

Yes, she signed up for it, and she's been taking it all in stride for seven years. But now it's time for her (and all five of them) to start taking more control of their careers. They're not little kids anymore, and, unlike most other idols (in groups like AKB, Momusu etc.), they can't just be replaced.

If she wants to stick with the setlist when it comes to singing, she should get it. That's only fair. No serious singer should be put on the spot like that. And she's a pretty good singer, who has obviously put a lot of effort into that part of her work recently. While I don't think the manager was trying to trip her up on purpose, it worked out that way, so the manager made a mistake and should admit it.

• InvaderInvader

March 2015
    1737 Reputation
    After Jessica was kicked out of Girls Generation I don't think anyone is un-fireable when it comes to idols. Even when we know they won't replace them I don't think the girls are in a position to make demands.

Management might treat them better than other idols but there's still a feeling of "I know better" when it comes to making decisions. The girls are still a long way from having any control over their careers.

• March 2015
    77 Reputation
    ^^ Yep. They'll never have creative control especially if they can't negotiate their contracts individually. Like you alluded, they may have a bit of a voice/respect as far as maybe the creative direction (Read: video concepts, styling etc) but at the end of the day, the label/management tells them what to do and probably what to say (or not say). That's that. It's take it or leave it. It's nothing personal. It's business and unfortunately in the idol business, they're all cogs in the machine-- replaceable. With that being said, they all should be thinking about their careers as individuals not because there's a real threat but because they operate in an unstable and highly demanding industry. I mean it still boggles my mind how much they work--the biggest acts in the States don't work like Momoclo and many of them are international sensations.

• asan

March 2015
    462 Reputation
    Invader said:

After Jessica was kicked out of Girls Generation I don't think anyone is un-fireable when it comes to idols.

I don't think you should compare Japan to Korea when it comes to how women are treated (in entertainment).

• InvaderInvader

March 2015
    1737 Reputation
    asan said:

Invader said:

After Jessica was kicked out of Girls Generation I don't think anyone is un-fireable when it comes to idols.

I don't think you should compare Japan to Korea when it comes to how women are treated (in entertainment).

I know Korea is waaaaay worse when it comes to how they treat their idols, pretty much every girl on a japanese group is getting a better deal than those on korean groups (except for the couple of big ones). I was referring to how even being a very important member on a trully successful group doesn't grant you immunity. Momoclo girls have no real power, if they want to kick one of them because she's causing trouble, they'll do it.

I'm not saying anything like that is going to happen, but I also don't consider Momoclo some sort of magical thing that doesn't struggle like other groups. Management proved they're human too. I just hope they don't overwork them now that they're out of school, so they can keep enjoying the idol life. I don't want them to become tired and jaded.

• March 2015
    372 Reputation
    Momoclo is not a typical idol group. Their whole image is built on these five girls (well, six) starting from scratch and earning everything they've got. It's much easier for fans to empathize with that, than with someone getting selected at an audition, and being handed their fame and success by default.

So I think they're pretty much irreplaceable. If any of them did get fired, most fans wouldn't behave like typical idol fans. They would get turned off by it. They wouldn't just accept the replacement.

P.S. I don't know enough about Girls Generation to know how to respond to that comparison, sorry. I know Momoclo is different from other Japanese idol groups though.
    Bin82501 said:

^^ Yep. They'll never have creative control.

I don't want them to have creative control. I don't think any fans want that (at least not if they really think about what that means). I think the middle aged men (and women) currently picking the songs and setting the general direction of the group are doing a great job, and I doubt five young girls have the taste or sophistication to do that job anywhere near as well. Even just based on some of the movies and songs they've mentioned they like, in the past, I would probably hate what they'd become if they got creative control over the music and image of MCZ.

But this isn't about creative control, this is about Momoka getting some respect, by not getting put in a position to fail, just because someone in management thought that would be more interesting than having her actually prepared and kill. Especially since you could clearly see how seriously she was taking it, and how proud she was of getting some very difficult songs right, in the first six episodes.

It's one thing to leave creative control up to people better qualified than you, and another to feel like the people in charge are working against you. And, I would imagine, that's exactly how this must've felt.

By the way, Sakazaki Kounosuke also can't be too happy with the mess that was this last episode. I seriously doubt he'll put up with anyone deviating from the setlist again.

• InvaderInvader

March 2015
    1737 Reputation
    ^ Yeah I get what you're saying about Momoclo being special. The thing is, the more I get into different japanese idols, the more I think they're not that special. I mean that in the way they were chosen and such, not the girls themselves which are special to me, but I also understand that other people will have other idols who are special to them.

At the end of the day Momoclo were chosen, they went through a casting process. It's true that girls who enter AKB are entering an already successful group but they also have to work hard so I respect them for that too.

To me the way Momoclo was formed have little to do with their success because a lot of other groups went through similar things. They make a casting of girls and some leave, some new come and then debut and go on with the original members. Sometimes people leave like Akarin and aren't replaced. What makes Momoclo special to me are the girls, the concepts, the concerts, the music... that's what sets them apart (but I understand that's my taste, other idols groups are just as legitimate as Momoclo)

As for creative control, I don't think they need that because of the reasons stansfield123 mentioned, they don't seem to have very good taste :)) I was talking about control in general, basically not being able to say no to something they might not be comfortable with, or not having their opinions heard in the matter.

Sorry this is all a bit off-topic but I like this kind of conversation because is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

• asan

March 2015
    462 Reputation
    Sakazaki apologized to Momoka on air. No one else even typed it.

MomoClo is a team effort. I doubt the girls want more responsibility.

• March 2015
    77 Reputation
    That's good, I suppose.

Creative control is definitely the wrong term. Apologies. I meant power in the same way Invader means control. That'll probably never happen because of the industry.

As far as 'respecting' Momoka, obviously, it wasn't the best idea to throw Momoka a curve ball but regardless of the circumstance, she is expected to perform with the enthusiasm and intensity that is associated with the Momoclo brand. After, that's what she's paid to do. Advertisers, promoters, label execs, managers, producers etc truthfully don't care that much about Ariyasu Momoka or her feelings. They care about her doing her job and doing what she is told to do. More importantly, they care about a yearly return on their investment in Momoka and the Momoclo brand. It's a business---sales and ratings matter the most.

With regards to creative control specifically, maybe it wouldn't be the best decision to let them decide the creative direction of Momoclo but what's wrong with them actually developing their careers as individuals? What about having the ability and the support to pursue other creative interests? Creative control isn't simply determining style and song choice but it's also tied with artistic self-determination. If Kanako shows interest in directing, why shouldn't she be given opportunities to direct or at least shadow a director? They're young women, after all.

• March 2015
    372 Reputation
    And example of an idol who seems to have a lot of control of her career is Ueto Aya. I've read about how she was unhappy with the direction her agency was setting for her, fed up with being the "queen of commercials" and with being a (terrible) pop singer, and about how she wanted to become a serious actress, quite a few years ago from an English language journalist who did an off-camera interview with her (I assume that made her more comfortable opening up).

And it seems the people behind the scenes eventually listened. I don't know what she did to get them to listen, but it worked. She pretty much stopped singing (thank God), and she has been focused on progressing as an actress (I was pleasantly surprised when she popped up in Thermae Romae, for instance, which is a lovely movie and a moderate hit on the international festival scene). I think she's still doing a lot of commercials, but that of course can't be helped.

• March 2015
    77 Reputation
    ^^ I'll have to ask my journo friend when she comes to town. I just think it's important for the girls to be given the opportunity to express themselves and grow. I work with a lot of young artists and career development is really dear to me. They're at a really definitive moment in their careers. What they do in their early 20s will have a significant impact on their careers as proper adults artists.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next folk show. It's the highlight of my month. I really love the format and I would love to bring something similar to the States. Maybe we could bring them too lol

• honkey5honkey5

March 2015
    304 Reputation
    Bin82501 said:

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next folk show. It's the highlight of my month. I really love the format and I would love to bring something similar to the States. Maybe we could bring them too lol

id like to see a special bluray/cd bundle with the best songs. The Momokachan version of the Rurouni kenshin anime song, the momo-tamai song off Frozen, A-rin doing that Setsuo Matsuda song... too many great perofrmances. But licensing and royalties to be paid must be a headache to release a proper official product, so who knows..

• honkey5honkey5

March 2015
    304 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

Bin82501 said:

id like to see a special bluray/cd bundle with the best songs. The Momokachan version of the Rurouni kenshin anime song, the momo-tamai song off Frozen, A-rin doing that Setsuo Matsuda song... too many great perofrmances. But licensing and royalties to be paid must be a headache to release a proper official product, so who knows..

Ooops, SEIKO Matsuda

• April 2015
    32 Reputation
    next ep in 2 days, titled サヨナラ アタシは涙を卒業, hope it doesnt turn out to be another tear episode =(

• April 2015
    904 Reputation
    Lol
    It's part of the lyrics for Link Link "Sayonara Atashi wa namida wo sotsugyo"
    It's basically one of the strongest lyrics in the song as well as letting Aarin shine in her solo part *-*

• April 2015
    5201 Reputation
    Sakazaki Kounosuke no Momoiro Folk Mura #7
    01 Seishunfu / Momoclo with Shihori
    02, GOUNN / Momoclo with Shihori
    03, The Sound of Silence(Simon & Garfunkel) / Sakazaki, Kato Izumi
    04, Tegami ~Haikei Jugo no Kimi e~(Angela Aki) / Momoka
    05, Kanade(Sukima Switch) / Shiori with Tokita Shintaro(Sukima Switch)
    06, Sotsugyou(Saito Yuki) / Momoclo with Saito Yuki
    07, May(Saito Yuki) / Kanako with Saito Yuki
    08, Kanashimi yo Konnichiwa(Saito Yuki) / A-rin with Saito Yuki
    09, Doyoubi no Tamanegi(Saito Yuki) / Reni with Saito Yuki
    10, Yume no Naka e(Saito Yuki) / Go Go Guitar Girls
    11, ANNIVERSARY(Matsutoya Yumi) / Momoka
    12, Birthday(Oku Hanako) / Reni
    13, SEASONS(Hamasaki Ayumi) / A-rin
    14, Tanjobi niwa Masshiro na Yuri wo(Fukuyama Masaharu) / Kanako
    15, Genki wo Dashite(Takeuchi Mariya) / Shiori
    16, Haru no Kaze ga Fuiteitara(Yoshida Takuro) / Shiori with Sakazaki
    17, Haru Datta ne(Yoshida Takuro) / Momoclo
    18, Link Link
    Spoiler:

• April 2015
    77 Reputation
    Wow. What immediately sticks out to me is the Sound of Silence cover. I'm a massive fan of 60s rock especially Simon and Garfunkel so that cover excites me. I'm also excited about the other performances too--this is still my favorite Momoclo thing after all but I can't get over seeing the Sound of Silence on the set list. I grew up singing that song in school.