General Discussion
  • November 2016
    372 Reputation
    ebizori said:

BABYMETAL is not the format of this show

Yes, they're way too cool and relevant.

• November 2016
    264 Reputation
    I prefer them having their own show as well. I get that Kouhaku is very much a prestige thing, but personally as a fan I'd much rather see the girls do a whole show with guests and stuff, than performing a two song medley.

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation

ebizori said:

BABYMETAL is not the format of this show

Yes, they're way too cool and relevant.

Aren't those the 2 components into getting invited? What does that has to do with BABYMETAL being invited to the Kouhaku show?

• November 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Correct me if I'm wrong but NHK and especially the Kouhaku are very conservative.
    Cool and relevant are not really criteria.
    It's a family affair with an emphasis on light entertainment and enka. Not heavy metal :)

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    Despite them being part of the metal genre, BABYMETAL certainly has family likeauduience (of course, not as much as MCZ does).

• November 2016
    472 Reputation
    Just checking, will any of our media gurus be able to record the TVJapan segment of MCZ in NY? I think first broadcast is 25th at 9:15pm JST.

http://tvjapan.net/pro_list/#PM03

• November 2016
    306 Reputation
    personally i think babymetal is that perfect safe "edgy" act a show like this would want give it a couple years babymetal will get an invite

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    Going back to MCZ, it's really surprising that they went for aiming to be at the show every chance that they could, to stop it after only 3 shows.

I wonder if Kawakami made the decision on his own or if this was made because the girls lost interest? If it's the latter, then how did they lose interest?

• November 2016
    3398 Reputation
    It wasn't their decision to stop if you care to remember.
    They weren't invited last year, and kwkm was so p....d about it that after some heavy pouting exclaimed
    "Hey, if you don't want us we don't want you either!"
    It was a bit like kindergarden but it turned out okay with their own New Year's Eve show
    And of course NHK won't invite them ever again. Lol

And I doubt that the girls have much say if any when it comes to decisions like that

• November 2016
    264 Reputation
    I doubt the girls had that much influence. While I'm sure management listens to their input to some extent, I don't think they would skip out on a major TV show just because the girls didn't feel like it. Most likely they weren't invited that year (due to not having released anything particular musicwise - it was the year of Maku ga Agaru), and kwkm took the chance to make their own thing. Since it went so well last year it makes sense for them to do it again.

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    Poor guy must have felt insulted about not receiving the invitation to give that kind of feedback! He really expected them to be an annual invite just because of MCZ popularity alone.

I don't blame him (or anyone) for feeling that way, but it does strike me that he was really willing to stop going after hearing how much the girls saw this as a dream objective (whether that was their own thoughts or Kawakami words in their mouths) because of one rejection.

But from the sound of all of you sounding ecstatic about the New Year show (which I have zero knowledge about), I gotta give Kawakami credit for finding a way to not disappoint the mononofus!

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    And a quick question about Kouhaku: doesn't Japanese musician T.M. Revolution host this show (or at least, he used to)?

• November 2016
    306 Reputation
    11/23 was the 8th anniversary of momoclo being formed. a-rin has a nice write up on her blog congratulations!

• November 2016
    372 Reputation
    I'm not sure how seriously to take the whole "Momoclo graduated" thing. In fact I'm pretty sure that they would've done it, if they were invited this year.

MM305 said:

And a quick question about Kouhaku: doesn't Japanese musician T.M. Revolution host this show (or at least, he used to)?

His name is Nishikawa Takanori, and he's not on the list either.

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    I know that's his real name, but I wanted to go with his stage name.

And I'm not asking if he performed on the show, but if he has hosted the show?

• November 2016
    3398 Reputation
    He performed five times but never hosted
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohaku_Uta_Gassen#Results

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    Oh! But wait, this page didn't included Momoiro Clover Z among the "Notable acts in Japanese Entertainment on Kōhaku".

I mean, are they not a notable act in Japan?

• November 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Feel free to join the wiki and correct that mistake :)

• November 2016
    306 Reputation
    " a minimum of five appearances on Kōhaku to his/her/its credit "

• MM305

November 2016
    435 Reputation
    Yet they included E-Girls (3), Golden Bomber (4), and Sandaime J Soul Brothers (4).