General Discussion
  • eyelesseyeless

March 2014
    2256 Reputation

syaoran_kun has put a ts version of the 3BJunior Live digest on the HO tracker
    Needless to say that my mp4 encode will follow for the bandwidth impaired :)

He has also uploaded a re-broadcast of four Momoclo Dan xBOT episodes there

This time, I can't wait for your encode, I need to watch this ASAP :)

• March 2014
    3398 Reputation
    And it's worth not to wait !
    Haven't watched in its entirety but unfortunately the Tenkasu Trio seems to be missing. Guess I have to wait till the BluRay arrives...

asan said:

Thanks. It has a Momokaoshi who couldn't believe her eyes.

Hahaha. Yes, I noticed her too. I think this evening made her year. At least :)

• March 2014
    14 Reputation
    I wanna talk something 'serious' a bit.

I'm disheartened to see some "idol fans" ropped momoclo recently... many cite the reason being the shift of image and music change to being more "high concept"

what are you thoughts on these? do you think there was a change in the fanbase since.. gounn? or maybe 5thD?

• March 2014
    5201 Reputation

• zombrex

March 2014
    42 Reputation

I'm disheartened to see some "idol fans" ropped momoclo recently... many cite the reason being the shift of image and music change to being more "high concept"

what are you thoughts on these? do you think there was a change in the fanbase since.. gounn? or maybe 5thD?

I don't think the fan base has changed, MCZ fans are a very hardcore dedicated group.
    Its only natural for there to be arguments over what albums and singles are better and worse.
    If they didn't mix up the musical styles people would complain they are getting stale and boring, its impossible to please everyone.
    MCZ is in a great position since they have a large roster of staple songs to sing at concerts that fans want to hear every single time.
    Personally I love both albums and have actually listened to 5D more than Battle and Romance. Your could argue Gounn was a little weak but by no means bad on the other hand I thought both songs on the Christmas single were fantastic. But its all personal preference, I cannot blame people for wanting Hyadain back since he composed their most iconic songs but I do think its wrong to say the newer material is bad.

Another aspect is MCZ is no longer the underdog and has a massive marketing and TV presence, when a group goes "mainstream" its not uncommon for some fans to turn on them for whatever bizarre reasons.

• eyelesseyeless

March 2014
    2256 Reputation

Personally, I don't have any problem with Momoclo's change in image and music. I've said this since 5th Dimension out, like it or not, the girls grow, most of the girls are on the end of their teen, they can't release Kaitou Shoujo or Pinky Jones forever. IMO, this is their biggest challenge, especially for female idols, how to grow without losing their fanbase, of course it will shift, some old fans will leave them, and they'll get new fans. Past groups, will either disbanded, or regenerate. It's interesting for me to see how Momoclo will go.

I my self, never expect Battle and Romance 2, Battle and Romance 3, etc. If I wanna hear another crazy Hyadain song, I'll just listen to Takoyaki Raibow's Naniwa no Haniwa and I can still enjoy Momoclo's evolution.

Let's hear others opinion :)

• March 2014
    3398 Reputation
    My feelings exactly.
    They're Momoclo, not Hyadain's Girls
    And they sold out National Stadium a few weeks ago
    So whatever fans they lost they gained twofold in return.

I like Hyadain's songs but I think it was the right thing to venture into another direction.
    The girls have changed so much physically and mentally over the past years that their music HAS to change with them
    Maybe they can become the female SMAP and survive into maturity :)
    Had they stayed with a given formula that would have been out of the question

Add:
    My biggest fear (and maybe that's what the "critics" mean) is that they become too big, and do too much, and lose their spontaneity and weirdness that made them so successful.
    I don't see that so far but it may be the biggest challenge they're facing yet

• March 2014
    65 Reputation
    I grow weary of all the pining for Hyadain. I like him, but I feel that his music has grown rather stale. Before 5D even came out I was already hoping they wouldn't rely too heavily on him in the future, and I've been extremely happy with their music after Momokuro Tei Ichimon. I also think Hyadain gets way too much credit for their sound. Kaitou Shoujo is iconic because it's their theme song and it features the ebizori jump, but musically they've done better. Pinky Jones was their very next single. It was the first song I ever heard by them and it grabbed me instantly, and this of course is Narasaki. I like it better than most Hyadain songs. Mugen no Ai is a masterpiece of course, but Mirai Bowl had a lot of cooks; Z Densetsu is another introduction song; Coco Natsu, Santa-san, and Momoclo no Nippon Banzai are fun live but otherwise overrated; Wani to Shampoo and Nippon Egao Hyakkei are great. But when I think iconic, I think Hashire, Kaitou Shoujo, Pinky Jones, Chai Maxx, Roudou Sanka, Mugen no Ai, Otome Sensou, Saraba. There has always been much more to Momokuro than Hyadain.

Edit: And DNA Rhapsody of course

I see chatter about Momokuro not being as good live anymore and this is nonsense. They can certainly stumble during TV appearances, and I think this may be because they don't have time to warm up. On Music Station, for instance, one minute they're being interviewed and the next they are performing. The main difference in their live shows is they are doing 4 hour stadium shows instead of 2 hour theater/arena shows. That means more ballads and a lot more ground to cover to get close to fans. I've been to literally hundreds of concerts in my life, and you can never replicate the intimacy of a small venue in a giant stadium. Having said that, I was at Peach for the Stars last year and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

It seems that a lot of idol fans are more interested in cute girls being cute than in the music. I've seen hardcore AKB fans complain about boring live shows, stale songs, performer line-ups for the next single, etc., with all the excitement seemingly reserved for photo books and elections and such. I understand how all this can be appealing but it has little to do with music. So if idol fans are complaining, let them, because if Momokuro is going to achieve their goals, they are going to have to leave many of them behind.

• March 2014
    5201 Reputation
    There's something I want to say about Momoclo's songs.
    They have tried the music of various genres recently.
    I think this is a good idea.
    But, the Japanese famous singers write their recent songs.
    I know that it isn't everything, but I think that the idea is wrong.

・Saraba - Hotei
    ・Itsuka Kimiga - miwa
    ・Naichaisou - Hirose
    ・Hagane no Ishi - Takamisawa
    ・Naitemo Iindayo - Nakajima

They are star singer in Japan.
    They are full of high name recognition and experience.
    I don't think that kwkm and others can assert a contrary opinion to them.
    I have heard that Momoclo's songs were chosen in competition.
    They were chosen in competition?
    Spoiler:
    私立恵比寿中学『オーマイゴースト?~わたしが悪霊になっても~』Famien version

私立恵比寿中学『エビ中一週間』エッビエビにしてやんよEbichuu Isshuukan Ebiebi ni shite yan yo

These songs are written by Hyadain for Momoclo, and were not chosen in competition.
    I don't want to hear only the song of Hyadain or NARASAKI.
    It seems that they held competition to choose the track of BAR, and chose songs out of about 300 songs.
    I think that they should held it if they don't held competition impartially.

I don't have a conservative opinion.
    Momoclo should change along with growth.
    They appeared on various events(not their concerts) last year.
    Do you remember the song which they performed in those events?
    Most of those are "Hashire", "Rodo", "Mugen no Ai" and "Saraba".
    5D? GOUNN? Why? (GOUNN was released in last Nov.)
    That is because it is an album song?
    Even though about 150,000 CDs were sold...?
    Momoclo is the idol group which specialized in a concert.
    The audiences of these events are not necessarily Momoclo's fans.
    Therefore, they need to show those audiences impressive performance. Thus they succeeded.
    kwkm and others understand the songs satisfying the audiences, so chose those songs.
    I have no intention to criticize 5D and GOUNN. I love those songs and concepts.
    I think that they should show audiences those songs in many events if they change along with growth.

• eyelesseyeless

March 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    If I remember correctly, they performed GOUNN on Music Station Super Live and Kouhaku Uta Gassen :)

I just know Oh My Ghost and Ebichu Isshuukan are actually made for Momoclo, those songs are so Ebichu. Even Ebichu's new songs aren't made by Hyadain anymore, except I'm Your Manager.

• March 2014
    14 Reputation
    thanks for your thoughts guys. i was just curious of what everyone, well, the mainly momoclo fans, think... i'm gonna be honest that while i appreciate the hyadain-era, most of it, i think their efforts since 5thD, image and music wise, made me like them more. i love the concepts and unique things they've been doing. GOUNN is very high on my list too when it comes to momoclo songs.

i had an encounter over at twitter, someone saying "oh, momoclo is trying too hard to be high-concept" citing that momoclo wasn't as "good" as they were before. it really bothered me, because, yes, they are trying hard, and they are succeeding in my opinion, no other idol group looks, sounds, or feels like momoclo. to me momoclo is still good, in a different way. i guess its just personal taste and bias clashing, but still, that got me worried if some of the idol fans out there thing momoclo is becoming too weird, too alienating.

MrAchiKochi brings up a good point, that a lot of idol fans seem to get excited about the things not related to performances, or the music.
    that just saddens me.

sorry for the rant, haha

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation
    Good points well made! I think also that the term 'idol fans' doesn't just refer to momoclo fans and the kind of people who might be having these complaints aren't necessarily dedicated momoclo fans in the same way many fans are. I think all the excellent points you guys made are probably agreed upon by most fans like us who support momoclo for what they are, what they have been and what they are going to be.

Just remember, it's all about the music! :)>- ...and the choreography... and the costumes... and the outfits... and the girls! ......But definitely NOT about the elections! :-q

• Nantok

March 2014
    589 Reputation
    It's inevitable that some people won't like a change in image or musical style. And on the other hand if they kept everything the same complaints about the group becoming stale would emerge. You can't keep everyone on board, it's normal that over time some fans leave and new ones are gained. That being said, I think many fans both love "old" and "new" Momoclo.

Personally I like almost all of the songs on 5D, and after having watched Peach for the Stars multiple times I can wholeheartedly declare that they have proven to be an excellent addition to Momoclo's setlists.

• March 2014
    65 Reputation
    momomofu said:

But, the Japanese famous singers write their recent songs.
    I know that it isn't everything, but I think that the idea is wrong.

・Saraba - Hotei
    ・Itsuka Kimiga - miwa
    ・Naichaisou - Hirose

It's hard to tell how significant of a trend this is. Itsuka kimi ga was a B-side and miwa had a long association with them. The Hirose and Takamisawa songs were for the Momokuri CD – unless you are a hardcore fan you probably don't know the CD exists. They had performed with both of them in the past. Nakajima's song will only be the second single since 5D, and GOUNN was written by Shihori, who was pretty much unknown (like hibachifinal, I am a big fan of the song).

momomofu said:

Do you remember the song which they performed in those events?
    Most of those are "Hashire", "Rodo", "Mugen no Ai" and "Saraba".

Kasou Dystopia was used as Mezamashi's theme song and they introduced it live. Unless you're a Momokuro fan, you might know Ikuze! and Saraba and that's about it. Fans might say, "Why that song again?" but there are a lot of people hearing them for the first time.

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation

It's hard to tell how significant of a trend this is. Itsuka kimi ga was a B-side and miwa had a long association with them. The Hirose and Takamisawa songs were for the Momokuri CD – unless you are a hardcore fan you probably don't know the CD exists.

I really, honestly and truthfully didn't think there was any other kind of momoclo fan. I was like, wait, what? why would i NOT know about it?! But you are right that the Momokuri 2013 CD isn't that well known... Do these casual fans really exist? I find it hard to comprehend.

And while it might not be that significant, it's a trend nonetheless and usually trends have some significance, depends whether or not it's long lasting significance.

• March 2014
    65 Reputation
    ^
    To elaborate, miwa, Hirose Kohmi, Takamisawa, and Kousestu Minami all performed with Momokuro and all were involved in subsequent releases. Think of them more as Momokuro alumni. I think momomofu was hinting that Momokuro may be trying to reach a broader audience by seeking out famous people. There is certainly some of that at work, but the Momokuri CD would have no impact on that.

Momokuro switches gears a lot and trends aren't necessarily what they appear. When the Neo-Stargate and BIRTH Ø BIRTH videos dropped we thought dubstep signified something more than it did. Ian Parton, Marty Friedman, and OK Go are all Western music figures but what significant trend does it point to? Overall I see: they like famous guitarists, they like folk music and veteran pop stars and indie rockers, they like the occasional Westerner, they like sitar more than your typical pop group. In the end it all adds up to Momokuro.

• March 2014
    366 Reputation
    i'm not "idol fans", and i don't listen to idol music before momoclo. but for me, momoclo's music is far above compared to another idols. having famous people (who had their own style) and indie guys wrote for them is one of their advantage.
    they made a right choice, neither clinging to their old concept nor having hyadain to write most of their songs. sorry to say, but for me, hyadain is overrated. what's the point of "being different from another idol groups" if they keep produce a similar music and similar concept? it's not being different, just being wacky. I should hear hyadain's material for anime if i want hyadain's wackiness. Mittsu Kazoete Daishuugou (which sounded familiar to Coco☆Natsu) and Waga na wa Shogakusei is a good song if you want some.

aside from hyadain, momoclo also have yokoyama masaru (Chai Maxx, D' no Junjou, DNA, Sora no Curtain, Joukyuu, Tabi ~Toki no Nagare~, JUMP!!!). his music is more diverse than hyadain, but he also has his own touch, like a similarity between Chai Maxx and Joukyuu, or between Sora no Curtain and JUMP!!!. his songs for momoclo are great, but if he write too many for momoclo, it'll be boring.

in the end, if they stick too much with same composer, their music would be bland and boring, labelled by public as like Mattthecat said before, Hyadain's girls.

about GOUNN, the only thing i knew about Shihori is "the one who composed Idoling!!!'s "Don't Think. Feel!!!"". after I learned that she wrote songs for games, i asked my friend about Shihori and her reaction is like "wow, i'm surprised that you'd know about Shihori", then learned that she was once a part of SOUND HOLIC (Touhou doujin music circle). Shihori may not mainstream, but she is well-known and quite respected in japanese underground music scheme.
    i love GOUNN so much, it topped my last.fm stats. :D

• April 2014
    5201 Reputation

It's hard to tell how significant of a trend this is. Itsuka kimi ga was a B-side and miwa had a long association with them. The Hirose and Takamisawa songs were for the Momokuri CD – unless you are a hardcore fan you probably don't know the CD exists. They had performed with both of them in the past. Nakajima's song will only be the second single since 5D, and GOUNN was written by Shihori, who was pretty much unknown (like hibachifinal, I am a big fan of the song).

・Saraba - Hotei
    ・Itsuka Kimiga - miwa
    ・Naichaisou - Hirose

I have no intention to criticize them and songs.
    I gave you two examples.(EbiChu's songs)
    eyeless said:

I just know Oh My Ghost and Ebichu Isshuukan are actually made for Momoclo, those songs are so Ebichu.

I also think that those songs are so EbiChu.
    kwkm and others can assert a opinion to them if star singers wrote those songs?
    B-side song and Momokuri CD?
    Yes. Probably, they will use star singers, and will continue such a tendency in future.
    Momoclo had possibility of singing those EbiChu's songs in concerts.
    I fear that it becomes a risky gamble.
    Therefore I think that they should hold competition impartially.

Kasou Dystopia was used as Mezamashi's theme song

Yes.
    However, kwkm and others chose the theme song?
    No, Fuji TV chose it in competition.
    kwkm and others chose setlist, and edit concert and event videos to televise.
    Therefore Mezamashi's theme song and their setlist don't have a similar meaning.

"Why that song again?" but there are a lot of people hearing them for the first time.

We agree on that point.
    momomofu said:

The audiences of these events are not necessarily Momoclo's fans.

It is because "there are a lot of people hearing them for the first time" and "The audiences" have a similar meaning.

For example, why did he choose not GOUUN but Hashire at Nama Sada?
    It is because there are a lot of people hearing them for the first time.
    kwkm and others understand the songs satisfying the viewers, so chose Hashire.
    It may be an extreme example.

Momoclo forbade use of psyllium in the 5D Tour.
    They succeeded in showing the audiences their new style.
    Why don't they continue and show their two-facedness of "Old" and "New" styles?
    I think that their dependence level of an old style is high.
    Because their many old songs are very good songs. I thought that would be the outcome.
    I don't think that they can easily continue and show a new style.
    But I want to see more their two-facedness of "Old" and "New" styles.
    I just wanted to say that.

If this English sentence is wrong,I'm sorry.

• eyelesseyeless

April 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    No worries, I can understand you perfectly :)

I can get your point, that's why they called this evolution, a gradual process. Slowly, they add new styles to their set lists, and not completely replace it. I think with their new singles coming, more new styles are added to their set lists.

About they use star singer to write their song, idk, Saraba IMO is their most successful single, it sold really well physically and digitally, so I think it's not a bad idea. The problem with Momoclo right now is they don't have a super hit song, like Momusu's Love Machine or AKB's Heavy Rotation. Saraba is their closest one.

But then again, I don't live in Japan, so it's all just based on what I know around international community :)

• April 2014
    60 Reputation
    not an easy topic I would say.
    Well, I can only speak as one who knows Momokuro just since Aug. 2013, so when I came to getting to know them 5D and a lot of the new singles were already out.
    Actually I kind of "accidentally" saw them live at GirlsFactory13, since I wasn't really interested in any Idol music at all and still aren't really appart from Momokuro. So, why did I get interested in the first place? I can tell you, it's the live performances together with the fans! After having watched nearly all concerts since then, do I think they have lost some of their magic? No, they haven't.
    Sure they have changed, but I think mainly in adding variety to their setlists and shows. Also one big addition in the last year is "Downtown Momokuro Band"! It enables them to add new dynamic to the songs and enables the girls to evolve in the music.

Also I don't see anything wrong with having "stars" writing their songs, as long as they do feel like Momokuro. Like mentioned before, I didn't know them before most of the newer stuff, so I was unbiased, didn't know about their composers, didn't know anything about their history, didn't know what was old or new or whatever.... All I can say is that they always seemd to have, and still have a kind of magic going on. And that is, in my opinion, that they don't "feel" like acting, they feel like they are just themselves! They obviously enjoy what they do, and that's the important part which also the fans get :)