Happy Birthday Reni!

• OM617OM617

June 2014
    176 Reputation
    Happy 21st Reni-Chan!

• InvaderInvader

June 2014
    1737 Reputation
    Happy Birthday Reni! I can't improve the pics you guys posted =))

• June 2014
    66 Reputation
    I humbly add my bare message, too.

Happy Birthday!

• June 2014
    38 Reputation
    Happy Birthday Electric Girl!

• EmceeZEmceeZ

October 2014
    264 Reputation
    There are some performances where I can't tell if she's lip-synching or not... I'm trying to remember the specific performance where it seemed like she was definitely lip-synching but the others weren't. I love her no matter what! But I'm just curious haha

• asan

October 2014
    462 Reputation
    You think they have a tape with just the music and her voice, while the others sing live?

• InvaderInvader

October 2014
    1737 Reputation
    It's probably that Reni is more stable than the others, so she manages to sing more like a recording. While watching Kokuritsu there were times were it looks like they were all lip-synching but I know it's not the case. They just got better at lives and I guess they also improve the audio track for the blu-ray.

• OM617OM617

October 2014
    176 Reputation
    Some songs do have recorded tracks, but its usually pretty obvious sections where they would otherwise be required to talk over each other quickly or sing during difficult choreography.
    Examples: The messages after Arin says "Kamisama anata ni mieru mirai wa hitotsu dakena no?" in Tsuki to Gingami Hikōsen, "I love you" background vocals of Kimino Ato, "Yes! Yes! We are the Momoiro Clover" of Kaitō Shōjo, "Chapa Chapa" of Pinky Jones, "Hu huh, do it do it" of Saraba, and a few others I probably can't think of.
    People could easily mistake those as performance errors or signs of lip syncing if they have never seen many Momoclo live shows before. I did.

As Invader pointed out, Reni has a much softer and more stable voice than the others. Thats one of the things (to me) that makes her Enka performances so great.

• EmceeZEmceeZ

October 2014
    264 Reputation
    So basically Reni is so amazing live that I mistake it for being recorded. GOOD :D She definitely does have the most stable voice, although everyone has been improving so much over the years!

• October 2014
    904 Reputation
    Watch the girls during ustreams. That's basically the #1 source of the girls singing without the need of editing. And the girls always know how to improve during lives (thanks to their voice trainer). *w*

• mavmav

October 2014
    171 Reputation
    For most of Momoclo's DVD/BD's, they touch up the audio through editing (enrich sound, touch up volume, cut down on noise, etc) This is common industry practice.
    As for lip-syncing, Momoclo haven't done that since late 2010.

Besides the events where they release on Ustream without editing, you can also watch the NHK Hall concert of their 2012 Summer Dive Tour to get a feel of the differences in sound.
    Even in the Kokuritsu BD where they added the live recording CD as a bonus feature, the actual concert itself was still re-edited.
    But as MizukiChan said, they're steadily improving over the years.

Also, you have to take into account that DVD/BD's are edited together using different camera cuts, while the audio is mixed together with the video after this is done. Naturally, there might be some scenes where the cuts and sound are not perfectly edited together and there might be places where the audio de-syncs a little.

• October 2014
    904 Reputation
    mav said:

Besides the events where they release on Ustream without editing, you can also watch the NHK Hall concert of their 2012 Summer Dive Tour to get a feel of the differences in sound.

The NHK hall concert at the beginning of the tour or the BTS video? The BTS video also showed clips from the tour with different sounds. The most obvious would be Reni's "Koi wa Abare Oni Taiko" performance where the sound seemed to have changed throughout the song.

• mocha21mocha21

October 2014
    380 Reputation
    just curious, when did exactly the girls stopped lip synching? my ears aren't sharp enough to really tell which ones are their real singing voices lol

• October 2014
    904 Reputation
    I think they stopped a little after MomoKuri 2010. Or some time in 2011. I remember they had an error when promoting Battle and Romance when the speakers shut down and they had to sing the rest of Orange Note in acapella and the song wasn't sung live until they sang acapella. but SUmmer Dive was full-on singing for sure

• EmceeZEmceeZ

November 2014
    264 Reputation
    mav said:

For most of Momoclo's DVD/BD's, they touch up the audio through editing (enrich sound, touch up volume, cut down on noise, etc) This is common industry practice.

Yep, this is definitely why I thought it sounded different, I've been catching up on all their DVD/BD's!

• mavmav

November 2014
    171 Reputation

The NHK hall concert at the beginning of the tour or the BTS video? The BTS video also showed clips from the tour with different sounds. The most obvious would be Reni's "Koi wa Abare Oni Taiko" performance where the sound seemed to have changed throughout the song.

I was referring to the Hall concert at the tour's beginning, but the BTS video should be the same. I think only the Seibu Dome concert out of the tour had it's audio edited.

mocha21 said:

just curious, when did exactly the girls stopped lip synching? my ears aren't sharp enough to really tell which ones are their real singing voices lol

I think they stopped a little after MomoKuri 2010. Or some time in 2011. I remember they had an error when promoting Battle and Romance when the speakers shut down and they had to sing the rest of Orange Note in acapella and the song wasn't sung live until they sang acapella. but SUmmer Dive was full-on singing for sure

I guess it depends on which level of lip-sync your're talking about. There's full on lip-syncing where the singers don't sing at all and half lip-sync which is where the singers sing along with the backtrack providing sound reinforcement.

Originally Momoclo was to be a dance group and they were trained primarily in dancing, so lip-syncing was to be expected. Notable examples of full lip-syncing would be from their 2010 Music Japan TV and 2010 Tokyo Idol Festival performances. Interestingly, it was at T.I.F where Kawakami saw the performance of idol group S/milage, and decided that singing live was the way to go.

Momokuri 2010 and 2011 Sun-plaza were probably half lip-synced, while 2011 Summer Dive switched over to full Karaoke.

• December 2014
    32 Reputation