[SINGLE]17th BLAST!
  • August 2017
    3399 Reputation

• ebizoriebizori

August 2017
    2293 Reputation
    Сhorus of Yum-Yum! is similar to chorus of Korya Medeetena (Ebichu)

• ebizoriebizori

August 2017
    2293 Reputation
    In general, I like this single more than the previous one. First of all because of Kyoukai no Pendulum. BLAST is pretty good. Another two haven't caught me

• August 2017
    964 Reputation
    Momoiro Clover Z × Weekly Shonen Magazine Collaboration

• vimoralvimoral

August 2017
    1424 Reputation
    Oricon Daily Ranking 03/08
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2017-08-03/

1. 6,949 BOYS AND MEN
    2. 6,855 Momoiro Clover Z
    3. 6,506 HKT48

1st 22,109
    2nd 11,853
    3rd 6,855

• kissakissa

August 2017
    12 Reputation
    Ordering this with Reni's concert blu-ray when it's released. I'm refraining of listening to this before it arrives as always :)

• mavmav

August 2017
    171 Reputation
    Due to real world matters, it's been a while since I've last caught up on Momoclo's progresses

However, after getting the BLAST! MV notification in my Youtube, I've reignited my passion for these girls.

This song is insanely catchy. I thought it was just pretty good at first, but now I'm basically looping it nonstop.

I love that they went with the multiple shifts in music style that they were so famous for at first. You get the pop, the rap, the fast, the slow all in one package.

Hopefully the sales can pick up again, as I really do feel BLAST! is being underrated.

• MM305

August 2017
    436 Reputation
    Have you listened to the other 4 songs from the single CD? What's your opinion on it?

• mavmav

August 2017
    171 Reputation
    MM305 said:

Have you listened to the other 4 songs from the single CD? What's your opinion on it?

1. YUM YUM. Reminiscent of JUMP!!!!! or Twinkle Wink, though I think it's slightly less catchy. Chorus is nice, and I really dig Momoka's voice in this one.

2. Survival of the fittest. Inclusion of an interlude is an interesting choice....on the 2nd track of a single no less. Not much to comment here

3. As mentioned above, I absolutely love this song....The verses have an old school hiphop vibe to it, and the brass section is great. Also, Shiorin killed her rap/monologue part. The chorus is super catchy and I love their falsettos. The 2nd part of the chorus also has a really uplifting vibe to it (probably courtesy of the trumpets). Kanako solo with the band drums is nice as well. Even the dance moves are great...they're simple but aesthetically pleasing, and fit well with the beat and overall tone of the song. For me, this song is joining my small list of 10/10 Momoclo songs (alongside greats like Kuroi Shuumatsu, Hai to Daiyamondo, Mouretsu, Pink Zora)

4. This song is like the quintessential Japanese pop/rock song- prominent vocals with layering, clean sounding backrow guitars, muted drums, and a blend of assorted arrangments in the background. I can easily imagine this song being performed by SCANDLE or other pop/rock groups. It doesn't particualarly stand out or anything, but definitely of high quality and a solid song to add to any Jrock playlist. I guess I'm a bit biased since Japanese pop/rock is one of my favorite genres. I would love it more if the bridge was a bit longer

5. First of all, it's hard to hate organs or background chorals, and the title is kickass. That said, I think the repetitiveness is a bit much. I can see why people would like it though, and it seems to be a perfect song for karaoke, or as an opening to anime's that invlove fighting (think mecha or fantasy themed). A good way to look at it is a darker, more metal DNA. The arrangement also feels very reminiscent of the band Mayday.

TLDR opinion: Compared to The Golden History, it's a better pop single, but it's not quite as "artistic"

• vimoralvimoral

August 2017
    1424 Reputation
    Oricon Daily Ranking 04/08
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2017-08-04/

1. HKT48
    2. BOYS AND MEN
    3. Momoiro Clover Z

1st 22,109
    2nd 11,853
    3rd 6,855
    4th *

Oricon Daily Ranking 05/08
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2017-08-05/

1. 8,476 BOYS AND MEN
    2. 4,035 Momoiro Clover Z
    3. 2,360 SF9

1st 22,109
    2nd 11,853
    3rd 6,855
    4th *
    5th 4,035

• vimoralvimoral

August 2017
    1424 Reputation
    Oricon Daily Ranking 06/08
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2017-08-06/

1. 9,035 BOYS AND MEN
    2. 2,739 Momoiro Clover Z
    3. 2,283 Mr.Children

1st 22,109
    2nd 11,853
    3rd 6,855
    4th *
    5th 4,035
    6th 2,739

• ebizoriebizori

August 2017
    2293 Reputation
    about 55k

• August 2017
    372 Reputation
    I wonder if it would make more sense to just start releasing singles for free. It would be another thing that sets them apart from other groups (I bet it would generate a lot of news coverage), and it doesn't seem like it would cost them that much money (in the grand scheme of things).

• MM305

August 2017
    436 Reputation
    Have ANY artist/band done that in Japan? And wouldn't it hurt there money?

Like, what would be the benefit of having free singles, other than drawing more people to buy the single?

• minee

August 2017
    62 Reputation
    This may be a stupid question but pardon my ignorance, is their sales numbers right now considered as "bad"?

• August 2017
    372 Reputation
    minee said:

This may be a stupid question but pardon my ignorance, is their sales numbers right now considered as "bad"?

Bad is a relative term. It's not bad compared to other acts' sales now (as you can see in previous posts, they were in second place on the week, and they're often in first place), but it's bad compared to what the numbers used to be for a group on Momoclo's level, a couple of decades ago.

And it's certainly bad compared to what the members get paid (three years ago, their salaries were reported to be above half a mill. dollars, each). Not suggesting they don't earn those salaries, but they're not earning them by selling singles, they earn them mainly by selling tickets, merchandise, DVDs, and doing commercials.

That's why they could switch to a different business model more easily than groups that don't sell as many tickets and merchandise (which is everybody: MCZ are by far the record holders among female Japanese acts, for ticket sales...and merchandise is sold mostly to concert goers, I doubt people buy bright pink or rainbow colored clothes to wear them at the office, so they're probably leaders in that category too).

• August 2017
    372 Reputation
    P.S. I'm not suggesting they also stop selling albums. What I'm suggesting is that they stop selling the same music twice (once as a single, once as an album), because it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Seems like it would make a lot more sense to build live events or tours around new releases (where they go around singing the songs live before the studio versions are released), and make extra money from ticket + merch sales. $100 tickets generate a lot more money than $10 singles.

• minee

August 2017
    62 Reputation
    But as far as I know, CD sales have dropped globally compared to before, and people just prefer to buy songs digitally. Personally, I don't like to buy CD's for a couple of reasons, first, I don't have the space for it, second, it gets too expensive, and third, it is just much easier and "safer" to buy a digital single. Besides doesn't Oricon only count physical CD sales? if so these numbers still don't show their real sales.
    And at the end of the day, they aren't just musicians trying to earn a living by selling their songs. They are Idols/brand that sells tons of merch and has other sources of income, just as you said.

• August 2017
    3399 Reputation
    I'm the exact opposite!
    A digital download means nothing to me.
    I'm a haptic person. I want to hold a CD in a box with a cover and a trading card...
    Only then do I have the feeling that I have bought a release.
    But maybe it's because I'm old and still have all my vinyls bought back in the 70s and 80s :)

• August 2017
    264 Reputation
    I'm not really much of a physical person, at least not for singles. I collect their concert blu-rays, because I feel I get more use of them. I don't even own a proper CD player so I would never actually play them, whereas blu-rays actually give me something. But it's fun to collect something, but I would never have space for all the singles if I started doing that, so I'll stick to the blu-rays. I have bought the albums though, and I bought Blast because I was here in Japan when it was released, so it's a fun memory.