[Album] 5th Momoiro Clover Z
  • August 10
    3677 Reputation
    I definitely like the video more than the song :)

• August 10
    34 Reputation

minee said:

I get a really strong "Stranger Things" vibe from it. Idk if anyone else has seen the show, but that's the first thing that popped into my brain.

Yeah, that was the first thing that popped into my mind as well when I saw the photos of the kids on Momoclo's PR account yesterday. I guess she's some kind of alien, since there's a UFO visible in the top right hand corner of the cover photo for the single. I wonder if that's gonna tie in with the rest of the songs, and if we're getting music videos for them as well.

If that Marvel-clo promo is any indication, they’re gonna try and make a whole universe out of the videos, which is so Momoclo.

• August 28
    76 Reputation
    A version of Re:Story MV, where we actually get to see a bit more of Momoclo:

Am I the only one disturbed that this "LIVE" version comes with an obvious studio track?

• MM305

September 10
    508 Reputation
    Anyone know when the next single for September will be released?

• manumczmanumcz

September 10
    16 Reputation
    MM305 said:

Anyone know when the next single for September will be released?

As far as i know, it will be released the next sunday/16 in the Kishidan Banpaku 2018 and also seems that it will has a MV :)

• September 11
    326 Reputation
    Was that information posted anywhere? It sounds reasonable, but I just haven't seen it anywhere :)

• manumczmanumcz

September 11
    16 Reputation

Was that information posted anywhere? It sounds reasonable, but I just haven't seen it anywhere :)

There's no information about that in the official page, but I found the information in this fanpage:
    http://momoclozamurai.xxxblog.jp/archives/52435295.html
    Most of the things that they post became true so we have to wait and see :D

• September 13
    326 Reputation
    The new song is out today, and is titled Anta Tobashisugi! And so Momoclo enters punk territory. I can see this song dividing the fans, more so than their last few songs.
    Teaser video:

• MM305

September 13
    508 Reputation
    That's Momoclo for you: Experimenting with new genres/styles, to the point where it can become rather jarring.

I think it worked well here.

• ebizoriebizori

September 13
    2449 Reputation
    To be honest, I have not yet heard anything to annoy or somehow totally can divide the fans. They entered the field where dozens of other idol groups are already (BISH, BiS and so on), but from this passage it seems that they did it rather peculiarly. I'm afraid it's a hit

• minee

September 13
    70 Reputation
    I would like to hear the full version before giving my opinion, but I'm glad they did this. I was thinking it would suit their voices, especially Kanako's, to sing a song like this. I'm hyped to see it live!

• vimoralvimoral

September 13
    1800 Reputation
    The preview sounds very well :)

• ebizoriebizori

September 13
    2449 Reputation
    Heh, so this is a cover to GARLICBOYS's song (some strange for main single song I think)

• September 13
    326 Reputation
    It doesn't seem to be a straight-up cover, because they've changed the lyrics to be about the members. They all get a verse each. Its like a new, punk version of Morifu Dayo. It seems more like a ROCK THE BOAT situation where they've taken the instrumental of a song and made their own lyrics (although this keeps some part of the original lyrics).

The song can be purchased in full here: https://ototoy.jp/find/?q=ももいろクローバーZ &search=検索

• September 13
    399 Reputation
    ebizori said:

Heh, so this is a cover to GARLICBOYS's song

They're calling it a remake, not a cover. The lyrics are somewhat different. Also, GARLICBOYS sing backup, on the track, just like Kiss did.
    ebizori said:

strange for main single song I think

Strange for MCZ. In the past, Momoclo preferred to have an artist write them a single, and then they would cover one of their old hits on the B side (like they did with Kiss, or Kosaka Akiko). I'm guessing GARLICBOYS weren't willing to do that. Or they just wanted this song, who knows.

But other acts, many far bigger than Momoclo, release cover singles regularly.

• September 13
    3677 Reputation
    Momoclo certainly did change their styles and appearances over the years, the word experimental however I would not associate with them
    Ebichu's a bit more experimental, and not speaking of Yurumerumo, BiS(H) and others of course.
    So this is a pleasant (and sorely needed) surprise :)

• September 13
    399 Reputation

Momoclo certainly did change their styles and appearances over the years, the word experimental however I would not associate with them

Momoclo were experimental. A lot of the changes they made to the usual idol way of doing things were either firsts, or at least they were the first to be successful with them.

What successful idol group incorporated a wide variety of, sometimes cutting edge, musical styles into their music, before Momoclo? What successful idol group wore masks on stage, or on the cover of their singles, before Momoclo? What successful idol group put on max effort live shows with gymnastics and wrestling elements, that raised the energy level of the crowd to what you would normally only see at rock concerts? What idol group incorporated horror, religious and sci fi themes into their videos and stage shows? While we're at it, what other successful idol group was aiming to attract a wider audience than just young to middle aged men, before Momoclo?

• September 13
    399 Reputation

Ebichu's a bit more experimental, and not speaking of Yurumerumo, BiS(H) and others of course.

It's important to note that in the 2010-2012 period, Momoclo made a conscious effort to a. not do some of the things that were the hallmark of every successful Japanese female idol act in the late nineties and 2000s, and b. do some very notable things that other successful idols didn't do. In fact, i would call these things they did and didn't do ESSENTIAL to their success. These are the main reason why we know who they are.

Not only that, but they were the FIRST to become successful by breaking with the many conventions that ruled the idol world. They're the ones who experimented, and everyone else learned from that experiment. Other industry decision-makers saw that you can achieve success by going against the conventions, and, as a result, formed all these other groups you listed. And sure, their groups stand in even greater contrast to conventional idols, while Momoclo pulled back and became more conventional.

But, at their essence, the word I would use to describe these other groups is unconventional, rather than experimental. It was Momoclo who took that first giant leap towards what is today considered the anti-idol movement, not anyone else. They were the experiment, and everyone else is simply applying the many lessons of that experiment, to create a vibrant scene...a scene Momoclo, or even the whole of Stardust, by themselves, couldn't have created, obviously. Once you open the floodgates by showing people that a lot of the rules can be safely ignored, they will create things you couldn't have imagined. So I'm not trying to take away credit from anyone, just giving Momoclo (and kwkm, and everyone else behind the scenes) the credit they are due for being the first to break a whole bunch of these decades old rules.

• September 13
    3677 Reputation
    I don't question Momoclo's achievements towards being extremely inventive and unconventional and bringing idoldom towards the world outside the wota culture, but we were talking musically here
    And musically Momoclo has always been diversified but not experimental

And in my opinion BiS is the unit (in exactly those years) that widened the strikezone more than anyone else
    But that certainly doesn't diminish Momoclo's importance at all.
    Otherwise I wouldn't have been a fan for that long :-)

• September 13
    399 Reputation

I don't question Momoclo's achievements towards being unconventional and bringing idoldom towards the world outside the wota culture, but we were talking musically here
    And musically Momoclo has always been diversified but not experimental

I don't think any successful idol group is experimental in THAT sense. To create a new genre of music, and be successful with it, takes nothing short of genius. There are very few musicians capable of creating experimental music that actually resonates with a significant audience, and I can't imagine any of them work for a Japanese corporation that puts together idol groups.

But, if we're talking about being experimental musically WITHIN the idol world, then, again: the first idol act to be successful by incorporating a myriad of genres and styles of music that other idol acts wouldn't, is Momoclo. They did metal, all sorts of indie rock, hip hop, electronica, etc., etc., when idols were essentially pop, with the occasional low cost venture into something gimmicky, like "Country Musume" or a silly temporary rap group.

Here's something I'm 99.9% sure no one here heard of before:

You just need to watch the first 30 seconds, to recognize Roudou Sanka. That's how far out there they went, to try and not sound like other idols. They got a dude from Ireland who looks for inspiration from the most obscure rhythms and styles he can find around the globe, to write a hit for them. It takes some serious balls to be trying to be successful as an idol, and think that a good way to do that is to invite a guy who has NO MAINSTREAM SUCCESS to compose your next hit single.

Only reason you would do that is because your main goal is to sound different. You're not trying to re-create someone else's success, you're trying to experiment. And no other idol act was trying to sound drastically different from established idol music, before Momoclo. Now that people found out that it's okay to do that, others have become even less conventional. But Momoclo was the experiment that proved that you can be unconventional musically.