General Discussion
  • InvaderInvader

February 2015
    1737 Reputation

I think the problem in the performance are the sideburns not the short hair :)). All of them could look pretty with short hair, all they need is the right haircut.

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Well it is a tad difficult to look pretty doing a cosplay of Toshiyuki Nishida :)
    image image
    The dude had more hair in his sideburns than I have on my whole head nowadays...

• February 2015
    644 Reputation
    Balloting for Momoclo Dontaku starts tomorrow! First round is pretty much guaranteed to get a ticket for either of the 2 days. 2nd round will be lottery style. I've already booked a flight and hotel in anticipation.

• February 2015
    50 Reputation
    When does Momokur decide to do solo's and duo's for the concert or do they do it for every concert? Like Aarin's solo or Kanako & Shiorin's duo.

• February 2015
    5201 Reputation
    March 7
    MUSIC FAIR

• February 2015
    116 Reputation
    HMMMMMM.

There's very clearly something wrong with these pictures...

Spoiler:
    Reni's suit is clearly purple in the first picture, but it magically turned blue in the second picture!

But forreal, it would be for the best if Japan stayed as far away from blackface as humanly possible.

• InvaderInvader

February 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Yeah... That's not the best idea ever. I thought they've moved past this after Momoka did it on 2012.

• asan

February 2015
    462 Reputation
    It's the same purple suit, but something threw off the camera's white-balance...

• February 2015
    5201 Reputation
    Reni will give a solo concert in Nagoya on March 9.
    Venue:NAGOYA CLUB QUATTRO
    60min×4

• February 2015
    904 Reputation
    .....you're joking, right? ....o-o;;;;

• February 2015
    644 Reputation
    Whether they do solo performances or not is really a venue by venue decision. They did solos and duets for this year's Valentine's event which was pretty good.

• February 2015
    262 Reputation
    jesus christ #-o

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    Does that mean 4 concerts on the same day?!

I may be living in Nagoya next year. Ah, so frustrating.

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    That blackface photo is really awful. It frankly makes me feel physically ill.
    I get that there's no history of it in Japan, but they just collaborated with an American artist, they should have more sense than to pull a stunt like that.

• Maka

February 2015
    30 Reputation
    Eh cant blame them, I mean I don't even know about black face until I'm about 17-18 and I was one of those global minded kid.
    Can't expect a country that pretty ignorance of outside world like Japan to know that blackface is very offensive.

Cause u know, collaborated with one of American artist does not mean that they know a lot about the country itself.

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    I think it should be fairly obvious that it's mean-spirited at the least. It's not like there aren't any black people in Japan.

• asan

February 2015
    462 Reputation

Does that mean 4 concerts on the same day?!

I may be living in Nagoya next year. Ah, so frustrating.

It does.

Living in Japan may not be fun if you're very sensitive about racism...

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation

I think it should be fairly obvious that it's mean-spirited at the least. It's not like there aren't any black people in Japan.

Excuse me but that's utter nonsense.
    It's ignorance towards history (which is bad enough) but I am sure it was in no way meant to discrimate black people.

The girls will know absolutely nothing about the implications. Having worked with American artists doesn't give you the knowledge of last Century's US history by osmosis...
    But the people in charge of Music Fair or Stardust should know better.
    However if I would go out on the streets of Germany and ask people about it the percentage of people knowing what minstrel or blackface was and means would be about 1%

• Maka

February 2015
    30 Reputation
    Actually it really is not obvious for people in Asia, I mean remember what was Pinky Jones costumes? So yeah...

While there are black people in Japan, most Japanese or even most of Asian people do not know about the black people slavery in the US and how black face used to insult and degrade black people in the past.

Anyway it's Momoclo shtick to dress like other performer and unfortunately, this time those performers are black.

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    I don't attribute any malice to it. It's clearly done out of ignorance or even a misguided "respect"

But it's simply not true that people in Japan are totally ignorant of America's history of racism and slavery.
    At least the management should have caught it. I'm going to reiterate that it's not rocket science that this is bad. There's a backlash in Japan when Americans put on Yellowface.

I've lived in Japan before, by the way. Racism is an unfortunate fact there, but it's it's not by any means that much worse than in America. Just more open, which may even be preferable to hidden, insidious prejudice.