General Discussion
  • February 2015
    262 Reputation
    I went to Kotaku expecting the worst because they're usually super into "LOL Japan" type stuff, but that was surprisingly even-handed.

I suspect in a few days it will be completely forgotten.

• February 2015
    77 Reputation
    OM617 said:

I'm American and I don't care if they dress in blackface. Yes, I cringed when I scrolled down to that picture, but I'm not making assumptions or judging them for it. Their culture is significantly different from ours.
    Nobody here has said negative things about Momoclo frequently corssdressing or the hints at Shiorin possibly being a lesbian. Why? Because the homosexual culture is somewhat more "accepted" in the USA and Europe. Hell the British have a whole comedy culture built around straight people crossdressing.
    Don't forget that Japan is nearly 100% Japanese so even seeing any other race is somewhat of a novelty to them. Imitating them is a sign of respect.

Now if they did something to make light of Japan's pre-WWII empire expansionism, THEN they could be in hot water world-wide.

Cross-dressing has never had the dehumanization stigma that black face has. It's not the same. Imitating 'them' is not imitating them but rather they're imitating stereotypes. Black face perpetuates the perception that Black people are the deserving object of ridicule. Black people are buffoons and sub-human - that's what black face means and has always meant. There have been blacks who've made significant contributions to science and your president is Black and he's a Harvard law school grad so black can't be sub-human. Unfortunately, not everybody gets that.

It's not going to blow up internationally but I doubt Momoclo has the international buzz for this incident to be harmful. Nobody in the West is going to pay attention this so what can you do?

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Actually quite a few US citizens would welcome the notion of blackface...
    So everyone should look at their own country before raising the moral finger too high.
    That goes for my home country as well.

I still think this is not acceptable and a bad decision.

And having thought about it... the girls aren't 12 anymore either.
    So a certain amount of responsibility should be expected of them as well.

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    ^I would think that the US demographic that enjoys blackface does not considerably overlap with the target audience for Asian music.

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Lol. Hardly
    But that was not what I was saying.

The sad thing is that I was always looking forward to refreshing the threads knowing I would be entertained and laughing.
    Lately with the helium tragedy and now this I am almost hesitant thinking "what will happen next..."

It's all unrelated probably but you could almost think that the reformation of section 3 has destroyed a working structure that is limping right now

• February 2015
    131 Reputation
    I agree: this has been a terrible few weeks for stardust. One of the things that appealed to me so much about stardust is that they seemed really good at avoiding scandals.

• InvaderInvader

February 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Yeah we're in desperate need of some good news (preferably about the poor 3Bjr girl).

At least we have a few things to look forward to. Baka Sawagi 2014 at Nissan Stadium comes out in less than 12 days. We're also less than a month away from the new single and I have high hopes for that one.

At least we get plenty of content, I don't know what would become of us if we didn't :))

• asan

February 2015
    462 Reputation
    There was an event where the audience held up colored pieces of paper to vote for something, and they got three tall black dudes in local clothing from the Mali embassy to count them, because they're hunters and have good eyes. Might have been the Joshiryuu taiban.

EDIT yes, but not as bad as I remembered.

• OM617OM617

February 2015
    176 Reputation
    Bin82501 said:

your president is Black

*half.

But I still don't see them being dressed as "blackface" in the negative sense, that would require large lip outlines and holding the eyes wiiiide open to exaggerate the stereotype features. The girls are just wearing black makeup to imitate the black skin color of specific artists, not to make fun of an entire race.

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Sorry but there simply is no "blackface" in a positive way. Bin82501 has described it the best so far.
    Even if they didn't mean to be offensive all parties concerned simply should have known better in this day and age.

• February 2015
    62 Reputation
    Invader said:

I'm not directing this comment directly to you, but I've seen a lot of people who think Western celebrities are free... HA! I think that's a misconception people have because the media tries to make it look like that, also a false image to try to appeal to people. I can assure you, people like Anne Hathaway or Jennifer Lawrence didn't cut their hair without consulting with their "team".

Sorry for such a late reply. I actually probably forgot my own point already, but its seems I really exaggerated things a little bit)) Sorry)

Concerning this blackface issue. I am aware it is a big deal in the States, which is understandable, considering history and recent events in Ferguson as well. But in Japan, at least to my own knowledge, it is not offensive at all, just because it does not have any own history behind it. So, when you say that one should know about "in this day and age", you're simply enforcing a country-specific interpretation of cultural symbols on foreign ground.

I would call this the darker side of globalization. The intentions are obviously good - after all, the racial equality is a universal value. But if you judge foreign interpretations of cultural symbols, that does not mean you contribute a lot to the promotion of this value. In most cases that feeling of self-satisfaction ("I am saying the right thing") is the only outcome.

I think the best policy is just to be cool about cultural phenomena, even if you have reasons to consider them distasteful. This is precisely how I feel about this particular Momoclo stunt.

My opinion, however, may be affected by my cultural heritage. In my home country, Russia, blackface has never been an issue. I recall from my childhood how a famous comedian used to appear on TV with a black sock on his face and impersonated a student from Africa. Moreover, the nation's greatest poet of all time, Pushkin, who had ancestors from Ethiopia, in his famous words called himself "an ugly descendant of Negroes". This line is widely known and cited even today, so you see the picture.

• InvaderInvader

February 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Some pics from Momoka's blog:

The girls seem to be promoting the movie by giving out flyers like they did in the old days. Also taking pics with the youngest Aarin fan around:

• February 2015
    77 Reputation
    No use beating a dead horse. We all have different experiences and ideological backgrounds that inform the way we see the world and that's that.

What cute pics from Momoka's blog.

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Well I'm not from the States either, and there's no blackface history in Germany as well. Yet I couldn't help but cringe at the sight of that picture.
    In my country discrimination resulted in the most horrendous crime in the history of mankind not a century ago.
    That's maybe why I am rather sensitive about issues like that and won't accept any signs of discrimination.
    You call it a dark side. I see it as a bright side actually, as a chance.

I guess we can sum up that there are two schools of thought here which I don't think can meet in the middle.
    But that's okay.
    We don't have to agree on everything all of the time :)

• February 2015
    78 Reputation
    Quick question, seeing as how I'm newish to Momoclo... what's the song that (in their live performances) it starts out with Kanako singing, and then she starts shrugging her shoulders and sticking her tongue out?

• February 2015
    904 Reputation
    That, my dear mononofu, is Get Down! Really quirky XD

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Can anyone ID this occasion (with smileage and Tokyo Girls' Style very early on)?

• mocha21mocha21

February 2015
    380 Reputation
    ^Young Sunday Visual Web vol.380 December 2010
    Spoiler:

http://www.kaka12345.com/HTM/pic/YS_Web/2011/0317/14635.html (website nsfw) or torrent.

----
    I don't know if this really a good news, but seems like Kawakami was seen hanging around with the girls in the movie promotional event, so at least he isn't under arrest. :))
    Spoiler:

his Logirl program is canceled by the way.

• February 2015
    3398 Reputation
    mocha21 said:

^Young Sunday Visual Web vol.380 December 2010

• February 2015
    78 Reputation
    Does anyone have video of when they learned they would be performing at Kohaku? Additionally any video of Blue's final performance and graduation?