Random Talk
  • honkey5honkey5

March 2015
    304 Reputation

Crayon Pop are finally back with a new batch of cool and quirky songs. The video for "FM" will surely result in more "Momoclo ripoff" charges, but forget that and listen to the song. It's one of their best, a return to the pre-"Bar Bar Bar" sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna90t2je-4

Humm.. Momokuro didn't invent the color code for its members, but there is a obvious influence from MCZ on Crayon Pop. I wouldn't go as far as calling it rip-off, but the similarities are too obvious to say coincidence.
    Too bad be cause Crayon Pop has some good songs and interesting choreographies, and they strike me as hard workers, but blame their management for not coming up with something less suspicious

• InvaderInvader

March 2015
    1737 Reputation
    When they showed the preview for Crayon Pop's new PV I thought it was going to be more of a Momoclo rip-off that what it ended up being. The video is more a Sailor Moon parody and the song has nothing to do with anything Momoclo has ever released. With that being said I'm not really feeling the song, it's not as catchy as their previous ones. I've listened to it quite a few times and I still can't remember it once it's over :))

• InvaderInvader

March 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Finally found the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious song by Dempagumi (and Hyadin's) It's everything I imagined and more, I laughed from beginning to end.
    http://oogoediamondd.tumblr.com/post/114935641838/inc-supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Paco

March 2015
    331 Reputation
    Aiai on the cover?

at: 6:08 ,,,

• ebizoriebizori

March 2015
    2293 Reputation

Paco said:

Aiai on the cover?

at: 6:08 ,,,

That's new "IDOL AND READ 003"

• Paco

May 2015
    331 Reputation
    I am getting more and more into おやすみホログラム.
    First album will be released next month if I am not mistaken.

New vid:

Still my favorite (together with Have a nice Day!):

And this one is nice, too. As 8mm with a girl from Rhymeberry):

• Nantok

May 2015
    589 Reputation
    It was earlier this year, when Karin Maruyama's appearance on Idol Station popped up on the H!O tracker, that I learned about her for the first time. Since elementary school she had been battling cancer. It then was last Saturday when I read the sad news about her death. Karin passed away on May 22, 2015 at the age of 21:

http://tokyogirlsupdate.com/karin-maruyama-goodbye-20150546238.html

Due to her physical condition she had to stop and restart her activities many times, but that didn't keep her from going after her dream of being an idol. Even after she got the diagnosis in October 2014 that the cancer had spread to her lungs she didn't give up and instead launched a successful crowd-funding campaign to finally release her first single "Eternal Summer". When she wasn't able to dance anymore due to her poor physical health she performed while sitting down. And even when her lungs had already been damaged by cancer she still did her best to sing her songs as best as she could.

She was a strong person.

I wanted to share her story with you, so I included some more info below, as well as 3 videos which show a bit of Karin's life and acitivities.

From http://tokyogirlsupdate.com/karin-maruyama-eternal-summer-20150338250.html:

"Karin Maruyama was born on August 2, 1993 in Koriyama City, Fukushima, Japan. When she was in elementary school, it was discovered that she had a malignant brain tumor and underwent several surgeries during that time. Karin was the student council president and was asked to give the speech as the graduate representative at her high school. Three days after the graduation ceremony, she was in the hospital for her 3rd surgery with her 4th several weeks after. Undeterred, she applied for several idol auditions from the hospital and caught the attention of an agency.

In 2012 she was selected as a semifinalist in Kodansha’s MISS iD 2013 audition, alongside Haruka Oba (drop) and Ayana Kinoshita (Sunmyu~) and had her first performance in December of the same year. However, Karin entered the hospital for her 5th surgery in February of 2013 and was forced to halt her activities. She restarted a few months later in April but was again sidelined by her 6th surgery that June. Karin held her first solo concert that September and famous composer CHEEBOW wrote “Eternal Summer” for her. Plans were set in motion for Karin to have a second concert that December but it was cancelled due to her 7th and most recent surgery. In October of 2014, it was discovered that some of the cancer cells from her brain tumor had migrated to her lungs through her bloodstream.

Despite all these setbacks, Karin set up a successful crowdfunding campaign on campfire where she doubled her goal and her first single “Eternal Summer” went on sale on February 28, 2015 and shortly after the MV for the song was released."

• ArudoArudo

May 2015
    44 Reputation
    I saw this on Tokyo Girls Update as well.
    I think that if you needed a proof about how amazing a human being can be, Karin would be a great example.
    Really, really sad history.
    What I think is the real deal here: Most people that are not into the idol world can't understand how much of an impact idols can make. Regardless of her condition she was able to make people smile when she performed.

Normally I don't get too sentimental about this topics, but damn this was really hard to write down.

• May 2015
    51 Reputation
    Arudo said:

I saw this on Tokyo Girls Update as well.
    I think that if you needed a proof about how amazing a human being can be, Karin would be a great example.
    Really, really sad history.
    What I think is the real deal here: Most people that are not into the idol world can't understand how much of an impact idols can make. Regardless of her condition she was able to make people smile when she performed.

Normally I don't get too sentimental about this topics, but damn this was really hard to write down.

An amazing example of the human will to live and live fully.
    I'm just coming off of surgery here a few days ago and I can't imagine where she found the strength to fight back against her cancer seeing as how weak it makes you.
    Very inspirational.
    Thanks for the share! :)

• Paco

July 2015
    331 Reputation
    I am in love. ;-)

• InvaderInvader

July 2015
    1737 Reputation
    ^ That was awesome. I was waiting for them to finally release something, I wasn't dissapointed. The guy seem like such a cool dude and the girls are great too. They have a lot of chemistry together, it's definitely fun to watch. I'll keep an eye on them.

• July 2015
    38 Reputation
    ^
    ^ Well....musically it's not bad, but a little too DeathRabbitish for me. I mean, I'd rather just listen to DeathRabbits than someone else who sounds like DeathRabbits.

Visually...I will admit freely that part of the attraction of idol groups for me are pretty girls in attractive outfits. These girls are OK, but I can only take Ladybeard in small doses. Very small doses, like the occasional photo...taken from far far away. :P

• InvaderInvader

July 2015
    1737 Reputation
    My issue with Deathrabbits has always been the visuals, the girls are too young (one in particular) and the guy is detached from them. They're on my list of music to check without watching their videos, because when I do I always feel that it's too compartmentalized, like the guy has his parts and the girls their parts but they arent really together.

• July 2015
    472 Reputation
    This vid Deathrabbits put up made me dig them a lot more. Probably due to the amazing crowd. But I feel mostly the same way.

https://youtu.be/wNrAx4XR_9s

Regarding ladybeard... Not sure what to think haha.

• Paco

July 2015
    331 Reputation
    I love DEATH RABBITS, but I can understand what you both say. Especially Emi (?) looks very young - and small.
    I am listening to LADYBABY on repeat for 2 days now, and I like it every time more, it seems. ;-)
    And the Rolly guitar solo is nice (and first I thought Rei with the guitar was a joke, but she has or had a band called BRATS (?) and can play guitar ...).

• InvaderInvader

July 2015
    1737 Reputation
    I thought the girl was pretending to play the guitar too, like BABYMETAL on IDZ.

At least we can be happy that more and more groups are trying this kind of thing. Even when other people see them as BABYMETAL clones, I think each one is trying to do their own thing. They have the inspiration but they give it their own spin. DEATH RABBITS music is different, LADYBABY it's fun and I liked the song too. We also know they're not the only ones, which makes me happy about having a lot off stuff to check out.

• Paco

July 2015
    331 Reputation
    Well, people see them as BM-clones because they don't know anything about idol music, IMO. In my opinion there was a lot of experimenting with music genres in the idol scene since ... loooong ago. Even rock (like Buono!), funk, jazz and so on.
    And I can remember a lot of fan mixes and cover versions from Morning Musume in a metal way, dated back to years like 2006 or so. So at least the fans were earlier with this ... ;-)

Like:

or:

Rei's Band: http://brats.tk/

EDIT: My "problem" with Babymetal was from the start, that they are too bound in this one genre. That's why I seldom listen to their whole album, I am simply bored. In smaller doses I love it. But in general I love idol music because they are mostly not bound like this. Bound in style but not in a genre.

• InvaderInvader

July 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Yeah, it's been ages since I listened to BABYMETAL's album. The good thing about them specializing is that they can get better at that particular genre, perfect their music and style. The bad thing is that you can't only live on BABYMETAL. At least I need more variety in what I listen to.

• July 2015
    262 Reputation
    i haven't listened to it in forever because i've been listening to the same 12 songs or whatever for 2+ years. they seriously need to release something new.

and yeah, to repeat what i said before, a lot of western babymetal fans are quick to dismiss other acts as clones, primarily because they don't listen to jpop/idol music and don't realize that just because they're probably the biggest examples of that style, it doesn't mean they were the first or only act.

• Paco

July 2015
    331 Reputation
    It is time that someone writes a "History of idol music"! ;-)

EDIT: If someone haven't seen it: