General Discussion
  • September 2016
    469 Reputation
    I would guess that close to 99% of the Japanese public doesn't even care about idol-world "scandals" -- if they're even aware of them at all. Do most people in Japan even pay attention to idol groups (beyond hearing their songs on the radio, or catching an occasional PV on television)? I get the impression that most people in Japan would only recognize the names of a small handful of idols (a few JEs and 48s, and some of the H!P OGs), and that if you were to conduct an informal survey of the public at large about this (or any other) idol "scandal", most of the answers would be about like this:
    "What?"
    "Does anybody even care?"
    "Who are these people?"
    "I think idols are weird!"
    "Idols are embarrassing no matter what they do!"
    "Idol fans are even more weird and embarrassing!"

• September 2016
    449 Reputation
    No, they do care about celebrity and idol scandals, the same way that people in Western countries love to read tabloid scandals about entertainers they couldn't care less about overall. The difference here is that Ebichu is still fairly low on the celebrity totem pole, so they're not relevant enough to get published in the tabloid (much less with pictures that don't provide much in the way of hard evidence). Which is probably still a good thing, but no, this isn't as big of a deal because they aren't that famous. It's the difference between Justin Bieber doing something scandalous and, like, Austin Mahone doing something scandalous. One is a recognizable name that makes most everyone at least briefly curious, the other is relevant to many people and on the rise, but not nearly as many people care or even know who he is. Same situation, more or less, but we all love, to an extent, to see entertainers behaving badly, even if it's just arguing over whether it's actually bad or not or how much privacy they deserve. Idols wouldn't get fired or berated by (former) fans as often as they do if no one cared.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    It indeed isn't an idol specific thing.
    Idols are of course easier targets due to those no-boyfriend rules or underage laws
    If you're not an idol and older you get the extra-marital affairs for example

Yaguchi or Becky had to go through those popular public teary apology outings which are absurd to watch from our point of view.
    And yet both had to pause career wise for a while (Yaguchi longer than Becky)
    And it hits men just as well (some baseplayer I can't remember the name of) comes to mind
    Sure there's a lot of sensationalism coming with it. And a feeling of relief that it happens to them as well and they're the ones suffering for all of us :-)

And some remember how kwkm came to be Momoclo's creator and manager.
    His "client" before that was Erika Sawajiri whose bad-mooded one-liner press conference basically sealed her career for several years putting kwkm out of a job so to speak.
    Something for which Western artists wouldn't have been penalized at all.

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    That's all pretty much scandal-as-entertainment, though, rather than scandal-as-serious-moral issue. And of course in the West, celebrities can behave horribly right up until they kill themselves (or someone else), and it's still just entertainment to most of the public. It's this businesss of idols getting fired and some fans turning against them in response to tempest-in-a-teapot scandals that seems to be distinctive to the idol world. I get the impression that when idols get fired for being caught in a scandal, it is in response to the angry reaction of idol fans (or management companies' anticipation of such a reaction), rather than to the reaction of the general public. If the public sees idol scandals as just more entertainment, then any given scandal is just a passing story that will be gone tomorrow, and idol management companies can afford to ignore such things, or simply issue formalized and meaningless press releases. But the (relatively small, perhaps, but very vocal group of) fans who are obsessed with their favorites and feel extremely posessive towards them are the ones who are likely to have a strong, negative reaction to these scandals -- and I'd guess that it's the reaction those fans (rather than the amused-in-passing general public) that idol management companies worry about.

Edit: But Mari and Becky both did bounce back, rather than having their careers end. And Erika pissed off the entertainment press, which is always a major strategic mistake. Idols seem to be in danger of getting their careers cut short just for being seen in public in the company of a guy, or even hanging out socially in a mixed male-female crowd. That's different.

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 18
    Ebichu [Event] Kishidan Banpaku 2016
    Setlist
    1, Yuuwakushitaiya
    2, Encore no Koi
    3, Zenryoku Runner
    4, Popcorn Tone
    5, Massugu

Hinata injured her ankle during the choreo lesson yesterday.

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    That's an interesting setlist!

(And what happened to Hinata's foot? Given the odd medical conditions that have been coming up with Ebichu and Syachi, I wouldn't be surprised if it was gout!)
    Edit: Ouch!

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    Yay!
    Spoiler alert:
    Spoiler:
    Hinata's singing! (I thought she wouldn't be.) Having Kaho and Hinata sitting at either end gives the stage lineup some symmetry, and makes it look almost planned.

• September 2016
    75 Reputation
    I see. No cheer.
    Yup, this group is done.

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation

• eyelesseyeless

September 2016
    2256 Reputation
    Just what I thought, Massugu is too high for them for live, I can see them strugling singing it, I guess they need more practice

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku × Kibun
    http://www.kibun.co.jp/brand/uogashiage/campaign/

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 20 21:00~
    Ebichu [AbemaTV] Katsuage
    https://abema.tv/now-on-air/abema-special
    Mayama Rika
    Yasumoto Ayaka

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 24 and 25
    [AbemaTV] @JAM × natalie EXPO 2016

Strawberry Stage

September 24
    9:45~20:45
    https://abema.tv/channels/special-plus-3/slots/8Q1pxiTXYqGENs
    timetable
    http://expo.at-jam.jp/assets/img/expo2016/timetable/timetable_day1.pdf
    ・3B junior(10:00 - 10:20)
    ・Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku(19:30 - 20:00)

September 25
    9:45~20:45
    https://abema.tv/channels/abema-special/slots/8W2HfZSnazNckX
    timetable
    http://expo.at-jam.jp/assets/img/expo2016/timetable/timetable_day2.pdf
    ・Tokimeki Sendenbu(16:25 - 16:45)

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    New best album is called Chuu Satsu? So are they going to graduate from Chuugakkou to Koukou? Whut???

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    ^
    You may be right.

EbiChu Autumn Tour 2016 title is "There are no real junior high students in EbiChu."

New album
    中卒(Chu Sotsu):junior high school graduate
    中辛(Chu Kara):Medium spicy

中から(Chu Kara):from junior high school
    example sentence
    I go to high school after graduation from junior high school.

There is a possibility that their name will be changed.

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    To be honest, I wouldn't even mind if they changed to a name more corresponding to their age, but it's about making a name for yourself as well. You don't want to lose the name recognition you might have going for you. As long as a dissolution isn't coming, I don't really care what they're called.

Turbulent times, there's no doubt about it.

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    The good thing is that even if they change the long name, they could still keep Ebichu for short. As long as the do that the brand will go on.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I agree with both of you.
    And I can understand that girls growing up in junior high gets to be kinda silly :)