General Discussion
  • InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    SSFV said:

Any idol group who can achieve this many fans, performed at an epic venue, has its own TV show and appear in many commercials without resorting to swimsuits and fanservice....

Stardust groups do plenty of fanservice, the only thing they didn't do was swimsuits.

At the end on the day I just think we shouln't act like Mirei doing a swimsuit photoshoot is going to cause a breach in time and space for stardust. That breach has always been lingering there, with Kimi to Sekai playing in the distance :))

Spoiler:
    By the way by mishaps on me previous post I was talking about the helium incident and such, not putting out bad songs.

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    ^
    I'm not familiar with other Stardust group so I don't know what fanservice they've done. The only thing I can think of that is almost close to fanservice for Ebichu is EbiDream from Ebichu Land.

You know how a small harmless fire can turn into an inferno with the right fuel? I don't mean to be a hypocrite. I don't condone what Mirei has done if the scandal is true but that's her private her life, it's not work related so she has the right do whatever she wants but this one she is bringing Ebichu's name and representing them. I don't mind if she done this with no affiliation with Ebichu but they had to put their name there and that's what's bothering me.

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    Invader said:

At the end on the day I just think we shouln't act like Mirei doing a swimsuit photoshoot is going to cause a breach in time and space for stardust. That breach has always been lingering there, with Kimi to Sekai playing in the distance :))

Totally agree with you

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    SSFV said:

You know how a small harmless fire can turn into an inferno with the right fuel? I don't mean to be a hypocrite. I don't condone what Mirei has done if the scandal is true but that's her private her life, it's not work related so she has the right do whatever she wants but this one she is bringing Ebichu's name and representing them. I don't mind if she done this with no affiliation with Ebichu but they had to put their name there and that's what's bothering me.

I disagree on two counts. As a member of an idol group she can't do anything she wants in her private life, especially in Japan. Especially not break the law (provided it's all true)
    The swimsuit shoot however was not something she did on her own but was agreed to and and managed by Stardust

As for breach in time and space. No, it's not the Universe caving in. But it is a very definite change in paradigms. And allowing something that they have been praised for not doing so far.
    While it's not the end of the world it's not something that you can just brush away with a shrug either.

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    One one hand, I admire Mirei for doing what she wants to do, and I think it reinforces the down-to-earth side of her character (which I like).
    (if she wanted to do the bikini shots, that is. I'm assuming that it was her idea to party with naughty boys and girls.)

But I don't like the idea of Stardust turning into an organization that's going to put pressure on girls to do bikini shots. I'd feel much happier if they could make their own choices in that regard.

But then again, showbiz being showbiz, and Jpop being Jpop, I should probably just put on my cynical, un-rose-colored glasses and say, "Whatever will be will be, however crass and exploitative it may be!"

• September 2016
    113 Reputation

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation

I disagree on two counts. As a member of an idol group she can't do anything she wants in her private life, especially in Japan. Especially not break the law (provided it's all true)
    The swimsuit shoot however was not something she did on her own but was agreed to and and managed by Stardust

Let me re-iterate (reiterate?) that.
    She should be allowed to do anything in her private life. She wants to break the law? Let her do it. Let her face the music. However, her actions should not be reflected on the whole group. It is unfair that you have to consider anything you do, you have to think of the group first.
    It is unfair that because the action of one person, the other girls are affected. I mean these girls was recruited since they were in elementary school and they barely had any idea what being in showbiz means. They had to comply by the rules all the time just because one's action can affect the whole image of a group. They can easily quit but think about what they have built up until now.

It's a different story if she's doing it with Ebichu's name on it.
    Unless everyone, including all the girls themselves, agreed upon it (although I'm pretty sure some were against), then I have no complains even though I'm pretty sure Mirei requested it. I mean I do have complains about their image of no swimsuit but you know what I mean. Or she could have said no to them if it was by management.
    I'm pretty convinced she's trying too hard to be an adult.
    Surprisingly to me, the most mature one I can think of is Hinata.

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    ^^No reading manga, and no eating hamburgers in the bath! :))

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation

It is unfair that because the action of one person, the other girls are affected

While the scandal (if it even becomes one) won't be of a real consequence to the group, it still is a fact of life
    If she was a Western artist I'd agree with you.
    But she is part of the Japanese entertainment industry. And you can lament about it as long as you want.
    A single person's actions DOES reflect on the group as a whole.
    I remember an incident when Natsumi Abe was involved in a plagiarism scandal and all Morning Musume members apologized publically on TV for that
    The group means more than the single member

As someone in the entertainment industry you have a huge burden when it comes to morality as well. Especially in the public's perception
    Take Atsuko Takahata apologizing for her son's alleged rape charges two weeks ago
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/08/26/national/japans-apology-culture-takahata-mother-says-sorry-adult-sons-alleged-sexual-assault/
    Or the apologies by Mari Yaguchi or Becky for their extra-marital affairs

As someone living in the West this all appears strange and hypocrytical ("let him that is without sin cast the first stone")
    I have a hard time accepting it as well but I have to accept the fact that this is how Japanese society and corporate identity is shaped.
    If our Western egocentric thinking is always the best way to go through life could be a matter of discussion though

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    In the famous case of Minami Minegishi, AKB also apologized in her name?

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    Famous case of Minami Minegishi I still regard as posing (and the scandal and her public repentance)

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    In a way isn't it all posing?
    Most people do it because it is expected of them (and to save their careers)
    Whether they mean it is another matter

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I mean it was all thought out action from the outset

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    I do not know if it was a montage, but in any case the group wasn't responsible for the acts of one of their members.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    vimoral said:

I do not know if it was a montage, but in any case the group wasn't responsible for the acts of one of their members.

What do you mean and which case?

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    Mirei is here to arrest herself

aiai's face in an accurate representation of most of the fandom when Mire's photoshoot was announced.

source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsPQY8PVYAASfCF.jpg

I don't know if he did it on purpose but all these screencaps are possible reactions to Mirei's bikini shoot:

Specially the last one, some in fandom crying like "why Mirei? whyyyyyyy?" others are Rittan =)) [I'm exaggerating of course, don't take it the wrong way]

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Thanks. That was great!

I think Rittan saw an Ai Shinozaki photo by mistake in the third-to-last :)

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 13
    R no Housoku

Yamagata Takumi
    His name was deleted from a list.
    http://www.nhk.or.jp/rhousoku/cast/index.html
    10:37

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    Haha, nice find with the photos. I think it's good to be able to laugh at the situation. It's not the end of the world.

But it's obviously complicated. On the one hand, Mirei should be allowed to do what she wants. On the other hand, being an Ebichu member gives her certain responsibilities. Ultimately, balancing these two is a fine act. In my view, perhaps management have made a mistake because gravure does not fit with Stardust or Ebichu and the rest of the members shouldn't have to suffer for Mirei's decisions. On the other hand, I value individualism as well, so I am not that unhappy about it as long as it is something Mirei wanted to do.

Like I said, it's complicated and depending on your views your mileage may vary. In the end, we'll all have to deal with it.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I think you're mixing up two things here.
    Ebichu members don't have to suffer because of the photoshoot. That was a decision by the agency (and Mirei) and has no consequence for the group.
    It's neither illegal or immoral nor something to apologize for by either Stardust or Mirei.
    It's solely a matter of what fans (and parents of other Stardust idols - now and in the future) might think.

The possible scandal (especially potential underage drinking) is the matter where responsibility of individual members comes into play