General Discussion
  • September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Actually if they hadn't supported it it wouldn't have happened.
    The photobook was decided upon by the agency and of course Mirei, and executed/contracted by Stardust I'm sure
    Something like this she would have never been allowed to do on her own without the agency's consent

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Ok obviously my Japanese ain't so good.

Literal translation:

After that, Kouchou-sensei from absolute absolute persuasion did, swimsuit at also attempt did.

So did Kouchou persuade Mirei or did she persuade the agency to let her shoot in swimsuit?

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I think her blog entry was ironic so I doubt you can conclude anything from it :)

But back to serious matters.
    I didn't think Stardust would go that far...
    But as a disciplinary measure for her boozing Mirei was handed over to authorities and put in prison for the time being.
    Ayaka was arrested as well as she had obviously been guilty of linking her up with that fella from "R no Housoku".
    As for Pochan.... She thought everyone was playing hide-and-seek and ended up on the wrong side of the bars by mistake.
    That will hopefully teach her a lesson to finally grow up....
    The trial is scheduled for next week (to be broadcast on "Tasu Tasu" in real this time)

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    ^ hhahahahahahah

it is possible that the judge concludes that Mirei is a witch....

• September 2016
    10 Reputation

And then, after much persuasion from Kouchou, I attempted swimsuit!

Hmmm... :|

BTW, This is my new account (Nkgw_rino). I don't know everything about forum. So, I decided to make a new account :)

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    It was announced that Suganuma Monika who has been active as Hakoiri Musume member stopped activity on September 15.
    http://natalie.mu/music/news/202070

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Huh? What? Who? When? How is this related?

Edit:
    Just found out. She was Mirei's accomplice?
    Well shit...

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    At least we haven't heard anything from management yet. The longer it takes, the better IMO.

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 17
    [Magazine] OVERTURE

• September 2016
    469 Reputation
    Tht's such a great picture, and I love her expression -- "This mail delivery route is so much fun! All I have to do is ride my scooter around, and the mail flies out and delivers itself!" :))

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    It seems like the full article won't be appearing on Shukan Bunshun.
    For them, this scandal is not important, so they released it on nico.

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    ^
    That's a relief. Either it's not important or they realised they fucked up and decided to feign ignorance.

^
    ^
    ^
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is that Hirono?
    It would be funny if they made her rode a Suzuki bike.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Hardly a fuck up with Yamagata at least losing his spot on the show and poor Monika leaving Hakoiri Musume
    (though it might actually have been her parents who pulled the plug here rather than management)

Those two certainly do not generate enough interest and neither does Ebichu compared to 48G
    Plus the Stardust fans I think are no really bothered by it either.

I'm sure though that the photobook announcement at this point was no coincidence.
    Could be interpreted either way.
    Mirei probably didn't have a cosy time at the jimusho last week but it seems that this was indeed it

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 2
    EbiChu will appear on "R no Housoku".
    Please fill in this survey.
    https://www.nhk.or.jp/rhousoku/question/ebichu/index.html (linkrot / Sep 11)

September 17
    We planned to appear on "R no Housoku", but the plan was cancelled.

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 17
    Mayama [Event] Kyoto Kokusai Manga Anime Fair

• September 2016
    372 Reputation

While the scandal (if it even becomes one) won't be of a real consequence to the group, it still is a fact of life
    If she was a Western artist I'd agree with you.
    But she is part of the Japanese entertainment industry. And you can lament about it as long as you want.
    A single person's actions DOES reflect on the group as a whole.
    I remember an incident when Natsumi Abe was involved in a plagiarism scandal and all Morning Musume members apologized publically on TV for that
    The group means more than the single member

As someone in the entertainment industry you have a huge burden when it comes to morality as well. Especially in the public's perception
    Take Atsuko Takahata apologizing for her son's alleged rape charges two weeks ago
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/08/26/national/japans-apology-culture-takahata-mother-says-sorry-adult-sons-alleged-sexual-assault/
    Or the apologies by Mari Yaguchi or Becky for their extra-marital affairs

As someone living in the West this all appears strange and hypocrytical ("let him that is without sin cast the first stone")
    I have a hard time accepting it as well but I have to accept the fact that this is how Japanese society and corporate identity is shaped.
    If our Western egocentric thinking is always the best way to go through life could be a matter of discussion though

Two points:
    1. It is hypocritical. I don't think that's debatable. I know enough Japanese people to be willing to bet that at least 75% of them have had a drink before the age of 20. So judging someone over something almost everybody does is ridiculous, and the definition of hypocrisy.
    2. I think hypocrisy is a flaw, and viewed as a flaw, just as much in Japan as it is in the West.

So the only difference between cultures is the particulars: the American entertainment industry is hypocritical about slightly different things than the Japanese entertainment industry. But they're both hypocritical. (Just to give you an example, an underage entertainer would probably have a lot less trouble about getting caught smoking/drinking/doing drugs in the West...however, they would have a lot MORE trouble doing anything that can be even so much as perceived to be insulting to other races...for instance, MCZ's career would've been long over for some of the stuff they've done over the years, if they were an American pop act, precisely because the American entertainment industry is highly hypocritical).

Hypocrisy is not OK in any culture, and it should be pointed out and ridiculed, not accepted. I disagree with posters who say that celebrities should not be judged no matter what they do in their personal lives, but they should be judged fairly. Going after a girl for having a few drinks isn't fair. People in Japan wouldn't be OK with someone doing it to their children, and they shouldn't do it to this girl, just because she's famous. The article is fine (in that off-putting, exploitative, predatory kind of way that paparazzi journalism is a despicable thing we have to live with in a free society), but anyone who actually gets upset over her "breaking the law", and wants "consequences" and "punishment", is being a hypocrite. She doesn't deserve any kind of punishment.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Feel better now?
    Good.

I don't disagree for a second that it is hypocritical.
    I can and will say so but I'm a far cry away from judging Japanese society for it or pointing my fingers at them
    Because there are more than enough things wrong in Western society as well (as you have pointed out).
    And I doubt that underage drinking is publically accepted in the West either.

The point is that Japanese artists live and work in Japan and have to accept Japanese mores.
    Or leave show business.

Oh, and Mirei is a member of a Japanese idol group. And one of the leading members I might add.
    And as such she HAS a responsibility to think of the group as well and can't do as she pleases, even in her private life
    That's the downside of staying in the public eye (which is no difference anywhere else in the world btw)

Anyway it seems that Mirei wasn't punished officially (contrary to the Hakoiri girl).
    Though the whole thing has had consequences as we have seen with the cancellation of the R no Housoku appearance

• September 2016
    372 Reputation

I can and will say so but I'm a far cry away from judging Japanese society for it or pointing my fingers at them

You don't have to judge Japanese society...just the people who are being hypocritical.

The point is that Japanese artists live and work in Japan and have to accept Japanese mores.

And my point is that she didn't break with Japanese mores (I had to look that word up). If anything, NOT HAVING A DRINK before the age of 20 would've been breaking with Japanese mores.

That's my problem with this whole thing: she's being singled out for doing something everybody does.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    And you don't get that in this case it's not about what everybody does but what everybody is expected to behave like, especially in a public position
    Whether you like it or not putting up a front (or call it a mask) IS part of Japanese society. You just do not do what you think is right but what society expects you to do
    If she wants to have a drink she can do that - AWAY FROM PUBLIC EYES
    You don't break the law as an idol. Period
    Hypocritical or not. That was her responsibilty.

And she hasn't been singled out. That would happen to everyone. The consequences for someone in the limelight are just different
    But anyway so far she hasn't been singled out anyway, hasn't she...