California Mononofu Club
  • July 2015
    163 Reputation
    It looks like the so-cal gathering will come first then I'll start planning the one for nor-cal. My guess would be to have it in SF so participants from north bay, east bay and south bay don't have to drive too far. We'll have more details soon though.

• Lak

July 2015
    122 Reputation
    I made the SoCal Mononofus group on FB and we have 18 members, however 3 of those are people who aren't even in California. I made a post in the Overseas group to point out that it was a SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA group. And that its specifically created for people in the area. So it doesn't do anyone NOT from the area any good to join the group. Or at least for people who won't be making it to the group activities. I was guessing that we'd probably be a group of about 15 members so, we're right there for now. Waiting to see if a few Japanese mononofus will join. That would help us with learning the chants and/or dances.

• July 2015
    163 Reputation
    If I didn't live in Cali I would start my own group in my city instead of having to travel to another state just for a meetup. It's really up to them if they want to attend the events but living 1 or more states away seems too far. The group will still be called southern california and not california/oregon for example.

15 people seems good. let's try and get more people to join.

• Lak

July 2015
    122 Reputation
    Ideally we would each have a city/region that is near by for each of us. So I understand the wanting it to be in your area. The SoCal group actually covers a big region since its not exactly easy finding mononofus. I'm still trying to recruit more people, especially from the Japanese community. What we have is a good number to start but more is always welcomed.

• July 2015
    163 Reputation

• Lak

July 2015
    122 Reputation
    Looks like we'll have about 20 people for the SoCal meet on August16 in Chinatown, LA. There are a few people not on FB that have expressed interest in attending it. I know a few people here are not on FB as well. So I want to extend the invitation to anyone else in the SoCal area (or if your not in the SoCal but can make it to our meet on Sunday, August 16 7pm start) who might be interested.

• July 2015
    322 Reputation
    Ahhhh that's rather late for a drive all the way there and back to stay for only a few hours to be honest. Damn, if only my school didn't start up again so early, haha. Guess it can't be helped. Put me up as a maybe for now, I'd still want to go regardless. I guess it all depends on whether or not I'm busy with school stuff, which is plausible. But if not too much, consider me a go for it. I definitely still want to go, in any case.

• Lak

July 2015
    122 Reputation
    I can understand the travel distance. We got people coming from as far as San Diego for it. I'll try my best to make the event worth the trip. We'll be doing a potluck for it as well (optional) so we can also just eat there too.

• August 2015
    322 Reputation
    I can now confirm I can attend! Has address information, etc. been distributed on Facebook already? It seems like I'm the only one in the "club" so to speak without a Facebook at this point lol.

• August 2015
    20 Reputation
    Sunday at 7:00pm
    Lung Kong Tin Yee Association 989 N Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90012!!

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation
    To make it easier to locate the place. Here is what the building looks like and you can just go park your car in the parking lot behind the building. Also the ENTRANCE will be in the back. I will be there at 6:30pm to set up. I have to open the place as well. So if you're early, you can just walk around "old Chinatown" for a bit. Everyone is encouraged to bring light sticks or whatever MCZ outfits they may have :D Also I don't recommend getting there before 6PM as they may still have people still doing association stuff. Many of them do not speak English.

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation
    So our 1st So Cal Mononofu gathering has come and gone. I think it was a great success. Everyone had a great time and we had a pretty good turnout. Roughly 23 people showed up. We ate, we danced and we shouted the night away. Thankfully we had AC but still were sweating from the activity. Several of us got some video footage as well as photos ( We'll post them as soon as we're able. Some people don't want to be seen so we'll have to edit their faces ) We had some freebies that were given to everyone attending. We got some video of people sharing their AX experience with MCZ. We were able to meet and interact with people we never met in person. Make new friends, hang out and just have fun. Coconatsu was definitely a fun song to dance to as we were running around in circles lol. I want to thank everyone who helped with the event and for just showing up. We'll have another one in a few months. We just need to check out the schedule for when we can use this location again.

• Dave

August 2015
    21 Reputation
    That's so awesome you guys did this, I wonder if there is anyone in the Chicago area interested in doing something similar.

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation
    I hope you're able to get something like this going in your area as well Dave. It was definitely fun. Everyone left feeling great. Probably the next best thing to going to an actual concert. I'd say just to ask around here, Facebook or Twitter to see if there are people interested. Its basically how we started. I know Lennie is working on starting on for the Nor Cal location. Theres a post in this thread with the link to its FB page.

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation
    a group photo of us

• Lak

August 2015
    122 Reputation
    So we are approved to use the same facility for our next group meet on Sunday, Nov 15th starting at 7pm. If you're on FB, you can check the EVENT page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1817341428492161/ for more detail. Same time and location. This time we'll most likely have a projector and a screen for our concert viewing.

• September 2015
    487 Reputation
    Im in the Santa Clara area and there is about only 3 mononofus in my school district :L

• Lak

September 2015
    122 Reputation
    We got someone in the NorCal area that is going to have a 5hr trek to attend our next meet. He missed the 1st event. I'm recommending him join the NorCal group as well. I also think theres someone called Taco in this forum thats is up north as well. You guys need to hook up with lennie and get the Nor Cal group going!!!

• September 2015
    163 Reputation
    I'm still working on it. Finding a location hasn't been easy but I'm sure I'll find one soon. May be due to the fact that I've been a bit busy with school but we'll get this started soon nevertheless