General Discussion
  • July 2014
    904 Reputation
    aw... poor Maa-kun. but at least he understands their humor as a mononofu ( ̄▽ ̄)

• July 2014
    79 Reputation

Momoclo is going to be an opening act for lady gaga's art pop ball 8/14
    More info and ticket information here: http://t.co/wyAZw6i7zj

• InvaderInvader

July 2014
    1737 Reputation
    ^ Pffffff So they're opening for Gaga but at her concert in Japan? that makes no sense to me. The only reason to open for Gaga would be if they performed overseas... But in Japan it should be Gaga opening for them :))

• NeoZeonNeoZeon

July 2014
    25 Reputation
    ^
    I couldn't agree more.
    And to be honest I'm starting to be tired of all this Gaga's thing with idols group...

• July 2014
    79 Reputation
    ^sadly i think babymetal and crayon pop are slated for her overseas dates
    I think momoclo though were picked for a japan date because of their popularity in japan and to maybe bring in a little buzz but then again Idk how popular lady gaga is in japan so I could be talking out my a** lol

• July 2014
    79 Reputation
    That buzz I was talking about
    http://t.co/1uiA9igf5s

Btw that pic is not mines

• July 2014
    5201 Reputation
    めざましテレビ 2014 07 07 ももクロ ガガ様の前座務める

ZIP! 2014 07 07 ももクロ ガガ オープニングアクト決定

Oha!4 2014 07 07 レディー・ガガ日本公演 ももクロ オープニング飾る!

• InvaderInvader

July 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I think what pisses me off a bit about the Gaga thing is that she took Crayon Pop to the USA but she's "using" Momoclo in Japan.

At least Crayon Pop got to perform in some huge venues in the USA. Momoclo isn't even going to leave their country and I doubt the buzz that it's going to create in Japan would make them gain any fans. Not to mention that internationally nobody is going to give a damn about who opens for Gaga in Japan.

/end of rant

• AzureusAzureus

July 2014
    1470 Reputation
    So Momoclo doing an opening act for Lady Gaga? I thought it's the other way around. I've never heard any of her songs or seen her videos. Only heard weird stuff about her on the news.

• OM617OM617

July 2014
    176 Reputation
    Look at the number of tickets available for each of Gaga's shows: http://gagadaily.com/index.php/topic/76523-tour-schedule-sold-out-shows-artrave/
    Nearly all are under 15,000 seats. The Tokyo shows are only 30,000 each.

Come on, Momoclo sold out two 55,000 seat shows in a few minutes just a few months ago and Nissan Stadium sold out 72,327 seats!. Gaga's biggest shows are 70,000 in Seoul Olympic Stadium and Athens and both still have tickets easily available. How can Gaga afford to hire Momoclo? Shiori could probably buy Gaga with the money she keeps bragging about!

At least Babymetal is coming to the USA and I will see them in person! And yes, tickets were very easy to get for the 8/06 Denver show.

• zombrex

July 2014
    42 Reputation
    Shouldn't take it so seriously people its smart business for both parties.
    Momoclo will get a nice payday for turning up a singing a few songs, free promotion for both parties and will help sell those unsold tickets.
    Management also loves Momoclo associated with as many big name celebrities as possible so that ticks another box off the check list.

• Nantok

July 2014
    589 Reputation
    I don't think Momoclo had much to gain if they would open for Lady Gaga in the US. The market for idols is tiny in America and Europe, and Momoclo doesn't cater to an already established niche like Kpop or Metal.

And while it may seem a bit weird that they open for Gaga in Japan and not the other way around it is actually perfect. I mean come on, would you really want to see Lady Gaga as a guest in a real Momoclo concert? I certainly don't. And they don't need help to sell out their own concerts anyway.

Showing up as the opening act for Lady Gaga is a nice chance to gain some new fans, nothing more, nothing less. Concerts are one of the strongest points of Momoclo, if not the strongest. Wherever they perform, there's always a lot of Mononofu showing up, even at "neutral" events like Girl's Factory. This of course is not a bad thing, but it lowers the chances to gain new fans. The amount of Mononofu might be much smaller at a Gaga concert, which means more chances to "convert" people who might know Momoclo, but never saw them live. ;)

• July 2014
    79 Reputation
    I agree with nantok tbh performing with a world class artist is a nice notch under their belt imo.
    It's also a win win for both parties lol the media is going crazy right now about this announcement

• InvaderInvader

July 2014
    1737 Reputation
    Ok it may just be me, but Gaga has such a bad reputation right now that I don't want her close to Momoclo :)) It's been years since I've heard her music around, now it's just "Lady Gaga has someone puke over her on a concert" and that kind of news.

The only thing that would made me happy about this pairing is Momoclo trolling Gaga. Have Reni dress up in a Gaga costume so at least I can laugh.

• July 2014
    79 Reputation
    ^im actually here for the idea of reni cosplaying gaga lol
    The last semi popular single I can remember she released though is applause but if it weren't for her huge fan base it probably would've flopped. Idk I think the general public in the states is still here for her but she doesn't really stick around long enough for anyone to care that much

End if useless rambling//

• July 2014
    144 Reputation
    Nantok said:

I don't think Momoclo had much to gain if they would open for Lady Gaga in the US. The market for idols is tiny in America and Europe, and Momoclo doesn't cater to an already established niche like Kpop or Metal.

I think there actually could have been quite a lot to be gained from opening in the US. It would probably have given them exposure that could start to create interest in them. After all, Babymetal isn't really becoming popular because they cater to metal fans but because they started to have people, including some major media sources, going all "omg, this is so weird!" I think just having Momoclo be seen by a wide audience in the US would open a lot of ground for them, but sadly it's not happening this time. Oh well. :P

• Nantok

July 2014
    589 Reputation
    Interest is fine, but in the end you always have to look who are the ones actually spending money, as in buying the CDs and going to the concerts. I haven't been to any of the babymetal concerts in europe, but from what I read online a large part if not the majority of the audience seems to be metal fans (correct me if I am wrong). Babymetal are doing their own thing, but with metal fans they found an existing niche in europe/america where they can fit in nicely and where they can gain new fans from. I don't see such an existing niche for other idols in general or Momoclo in particular. International idol fanbase is tiny outside of asia, and it's just that I doubt the general public would care.

• July 2014
    3398 Reputation

Nantok said:

I haven't been to any of the babymetal concerts in europe, but from what I read online a large part if not the majority of the audience seems to be metal fans (correct me if I am wrong).

You're hereby corrected :)
    I was at Babymetal's concert in Cologne and the audience was a wonderful mixture of idol fans, metalheads, anime/manga/cosplay people and visitors from various countries. Highly entertaining (the show as well)

As for that Lady Gaga thingie... I've never really cared for her but she still is a big name all around the world and I can't see anything wrong with Momoclo playing at her concert. Gaga is a weird creature so both parties fit well
    And I agree with Nantok that it can't hurt to gather new potential fans this way.
    And Momclo are going to outshione Gaga anyway :)

• July 2014
    144 Reputation
    ^^ (oops, edited because a post got in before me :) ) You may be right about Momoclo not having an obvious niche to fit into, but on the other hand I've heard that they've gotten a fair amount of interest from progressive, indie, and metal subcultures in Japan. If they were given press in the right circles, I think those kinds of people overseas might also want to give them a look. Also, K-pop didn't really have a niche in the US/Europe before either, so I think it's sometimes possible to create your own niche.

Either way, Momoclo wouldn't really be losing anything if they had been opening in the US, and the benefits have the potential to be pretty big (even if the chances aren't that high), so I think it would definitely be better for them to have been in the US. I can't really say if it's better for Gaga this way though, which I guess is what they mainly care about.

• asan

July 2014
    462 Reputation

I was at Babymetal's concert in Cologne and the audience was a wonderful mixture of idol fans, metalheads, anime/manga/cosplay people and visitors from various countries.

Now if you'd said that a bit earlier, like I did, we could have met up. I pretty much only talked to the people I came with, all the japanese I could find, and one guy from Austria ^^;