General Discussion
  • January 15
    26 Reputation
    I wonder if recent events like Rina Matsuno's death and Aiai leaving Ebichuu helped her reach this decision...As a fan I'm very sad, but I'm happy for her following her heart.

• January 15
    15 Reputation
    Sad for the graduationߘ⍊But now i wondering what is the future of the group??

• ebizoriebizori

January 16
    2293 Reputation
    I don't think it will change their future much. It will be more harder to act without Momoka for them, but it should'nt prevent them from existing as they have existed for the past two years.
    The peak of their popularity is passed, but they can quite keep afloat for several more years, especially since this year the group turns 10

• January 16
    27 Reputation
    Yesterday (15th), they visited all major sport-papers and some (gossip) magazines.
    Today (16th), from early morning, they are visiting live TV and radio shows.

In Mezamashi, replying Miyake's question, Momoka said it was about 1 year ago when she decided.

So my impression somewhat changed.
    I thought she was overwhelmed last year's activities including solo concert, but she didn't.
    She did decide to quit and did all things thinking it's the last time and ever.

• January 16
    103 Reputation
    Didn't see that coming.

• minee

January 16
    62 Reputation
    Regarding Momoka's graduation, it might be possible that something happened to cause this haste. But, if you think about it, they have almost half a year planned in advance. Which means they need to figure out a ton stuff, like their songs and performances, before they start performing again. In which case doing the graduation as soon as possible would make sense. I for one would like to believe the story they're telling us now. Perhaps in the future more light will be shone on this. I feel sad about this but at the same time I would like to see how the remaining 4 handle this situation from now on.

• January 16
    93 Reputation
    Wow. Part of me has been kinda sorta secretly hoping Momoka would leave Momoclo for a while now, as I've been more interested in her solo activities than their work as a group. I actually got (cautiously) excited when I heard she was graduating. But then I read she's leaving showbiz altogether and, well....
    Careful what you wish for...

Still, if she feels this is what's best for her then she's probably right. This has probably been on her mind for a very long time. After all, she hasn't always seemed perfectly happy (the infamous Folk Mura episode comes to mind). And as she herself said, she's been doing this her whole life, longer than any other member of the group.
    Taking a break probably is for the best. Even if it is, unfortunately, a permanent one.

We can only wait and see and speculate what Momoclo's future will be after this. After all, they did come out of Akari's graduation better and stronger then ever. On the other hand, this time they've lost their (arguably) best and strongest member, performancewise, so who knows?
    As much as I may have been hoping for a Momoka graduation and solo career, I had always imagined Momoclo all going out together in a blaze of glory.
    With the amount of solo activities from the members the past couple of years, I've been thinking they'd retire Momoclo as a group in or around 2020. Even if that were the case, I doubt Momoka would want to wait another two or three years.
    It's a shame I didn't get the blaze of glory I was hoping for, but maybe they can turn this into a good thing and breathe some new life into the group.

Momoclo just got a bit less momo.
    Sad news, in the end. But I wish the best for both Momoka and Momoiro Clover.

• MM305

January 16
    435 Reputation
    I wonder though if they’ll change their group name like they did when Akari left.

The one thing I noticed those about both announcements, was that the girls were really emotional about Akari announcement throughout the remaining last days of her run, while they acted normal during Momokas announcement.

Either they don’t feel as bad about Momoka’s departure compared to Akari, or they let out the emotional tears when they were told a month prior, or they have matured through the years to not be as emotional.

• ebizoriebizori

January 16
    2293 Reputation
    It's just the results of their current age, before they cried even just because so many people come to their concerts.

• January 16
    3398 Reputation
    They were unprepared for Akarin's announcement when it was recorded. Plus the fact that they really were kids back then

Momoka told them a month ago so there was ample time to digest this, and they're showbiz veterans by now (and I'm sure a lot less close than they were back then)
    And I could imagine that there were hints in the months before

• January 16
    264 Reputation
    I'm sure the graduation concert on Sunday will be full of emotions.

• MM305

January 16
    435 Reputation
    But after that graduation, I wonder if they’ll be a name change for the group.

• ebizoriebizori

January 16
    2293 Reputation
    is it really so important to you?

Morning Musume changes their name every year

• MM305

January 16
    435 Reputation
    No, but I figure it’s something they will pull off (since things are certainly going to look different without her).

• January 16
    3398 Reputation
    Momusu just adds the year. I'm not really a fan of those name changes.
    I never liked the Japan after babyraids or GT after Party Rockets either
    I find all of these superfluous
    The "Z" would have been the same hadn't it been for that gesture and shout that became their signature
    That was pure geniality
    Doing something again now would be just a repeat in my opinion

• January 16
    26 Reputation
    I agree, they don't need to change the group's name. They have developed the brand and their identity with Z all these years since Akari left.

• SpookyBSpookyB

January 16
    17 Reputation
    As much as I kind of saw this coming it's still so sad :( but if it's what she wants then I hope she can live the life she really wants to now. I wonder if the dynamics of momoclo's music will change somewhat? Will they keep performing old songs?

• manumczmanumcz

January 16
    12 Reputation
    Well I think this was to be expected from that famous episode of folk mura, momoka showed on some occasions to be tired and showed herself apart from the other 4 members; It is very sad because we all wanted to see all 5 members in the Olympic Games of 2020 consolidating as the great group that they are but it is very understandable the decision that she made after so much time of being in the showbiz and more taking into account that in the last years the activities of the group have not stopped, Guuchokiparty, Folkmura, Momoiro Tsurube, Radio programs, apart from their concerts. All this makes me believe that with the realization of her solo concerts and the release of her CD alone they were looking to motivate her to stay a little longer in the group or on the contrary it was a kind of farewell to the showbiz; Regardless of everything, we only need to thank her for having made the group more perfect, with her undoubted skills for both dance and singing, I think this will be a challenge for the group to demonstrate as well as when Akari left the group, that they can be stronger and better, I don't think that the change of name influences much but maybe a small change could be good to indicate the new evolution of the group although as someone says above the "z" has been their identity all these years. No matter what happens, I will always support my Momoclo, and thanks for all Momoka-chan. =(( :((

• January 16
    61 Reputation
    To me, they have two options as far as how to perform their existing music going forward: one, have them sing Momoka's parts in unison, like they've done when she's had vocal issues in the past, or they could split her parts between the other four girls. If it were up to me, I would go with the second option, and I would probably split her parts between Aarin and Kanako, given they have stronger voices in the upper register.

• January 16
    66 Reputation
    I was practically made speechless since I first read the AE newsletter announcing the Makuhari Messe event.
    Without any polemical intent, I must also say that I am almost appalled by by the cold, pragmatical reaction seen on these pages.
    Secretly hoping for her graduation? That is bold, to say the least and, while perfectly acceptable in principle, reveals a distant, "observational" type of interest I surely cannot share.
    Moreover, we used to be quite critical towards trivial euphemisms such as 「卒業」. Is this not a cheap, too literal way to underscore the fragile relation of the idol (or "post idol" or "anti idol") status with the present time?
    MCZ have always confronted this theme in much more complex ways, they did not need "graduations". Those were AKB things...
    And to argue that such an event could breath new life into the group? As if they were driven by some internal struggle of forces and resistances or, worse, popularity contests (again AKB things).
    I always assumed the dialectics of their personalities to be deeper and more creative. Even disregarding the obvious technical difficulties related to voice parts, I can only see this event as an enormous impoverishment, one impoverishment which greatly undermines their uniqueness (does it not exist anymore? Or it is us that have grown too disenchanted and shallow to see it?) in one of the most important years of their activity.
    10th anniversary, AE International, 「新しい青空へ」 etc. It is extremely difficult to attach a clear meaning to all that, today.
    MCZ are people. MCZ is not a brand.
    When thinking of this, I am reminded of my condition of wretched, aged and old-fashioned otaku, because I remember that old (again!) April's Fool announcement of Reni's graduation and establishment of Momoiro Clover ZZ.
    Despite the obvious Gundam joke, still, for a few minutes, I took it as a life-changing blow.
    Apparently, The Times They Are a-Changin' ...
    I apologize anyway for all the possibly offensive remarks, inelegant words, improper comments.
    I also express my wishes of best luck to Ariyasu Momoka-sama.