General Discussion
  • vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    Saying "the pictures of girls in bikini only have an end", sounds to me like "a girl dresses provocatively is because they seek something". But the comment seems ugly because, I do not think that a girl that doesn't have large breasts can't make these sessions.

Same as I was glad that Momoclo not have strict rules about boyfriends or drink alcohol, I'm glad they have a chance to do more work types.

• September 2016
    113 Reputation
    Matt obviously doesn't care about girls' butts, legs or you know... any body part other than breasts LMAO

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I only care about a girls' mind :)

My point is that it doesn't matter what I think.
    Bikini shots of idols in magazines are there for a reason.
    There's a reason why the female manager wasn't thrilled at all
    And quite frankly I would have preferred if Mirei hadn't done these
    I would have preferred Stardust to stay on this side of the line for good
    It simply isn't necessary.

But I do admit that I prefer looking at bikini shots of Nana Asakawa or Nagi Nemoto than of Haruko Kudo for example

Asakawa (SUPER☆GiRLS)
    Spoiler:
    imageimage

Nemoto (Niji no Conquistador)
    Spoiler:
    image image

Kudo (Morning Musume)
    Spoiler:
    imageimage

Oh and I'm sure Momoclo and the others do have strict rules when it comes to alcohol under age

• September 2016
    113 Reputation

I only care about a girls' mind :)

Hahahaha nice save.

But seriously, you're implying that flat chested girls can't be successful in the industry.
    They definitely can.
    They might not be your cup of tea, but there are many successful flat chested models. (they might be outnumbered though, I'll give you that)

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Oh you are absolutely right. And I do not doubt their success at all.

If I were mean I would say that the whole big money U-15 industry is based on that
    But of course I'm not mean.

I agree that it has to do with personal tastes
    (Oh and I'm a normal sized boobs connoisseur myself)

• September 2016
    113 Reputation

If I were mean I would say that the whole big money U-15 industry is based on that
    But of course I'm not mean.

That joke was savage XD

I agree with you on rather having Stardust stay "clean". They've been around for so long, so why now suddenly?
    Mirei probably REALLY wanted to do this and they maybe felt they shouldn't stop her...

No matter how tasteful the images though, they are still gonna have that sexual stigma attached.
    So while vimoral might have a point, gravure and the vast majority of its audience are mainly interested in sex appeal.
    It's happening.
    We just gotta deal with it.

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    EDIT: ^ I agree

Wow, this got sidetracked quickly :D

I think your previous discussion was missing the point. To me, this is not about getting a peek at boobs or whatever ridiculous supposition is being made. Rather, it's about qualities and to me, swimwear photoshoots are not about quality that I value. Sure, looking at pretty girls is nice but if I only wanted to look at pretty girls I'd be an AKB48 fan instead.

To me, Ebichu consists of 8 fun members that cheer you on when you need it and make you laugh when you want to laugh. And the team behind Ebichu: songwriters, production etc, do a great job of making the girls successful at these very things. I value this much higher than them being pretty girls (which they undeniably are). It's just not as relevant to me enjoying their music and TV show. I think it's absolutely fine for the members to do a bikini photoshoot if they want. In fact, if Mirei wanted to do it, then it's commendable that management didn't restrict her in that. But on the other hand I really don't want it to become a sort of selling point for the group.

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    If it was Mirei who wanted to do it, good for her. If she's comfortable with her body and wants to do photoshoots and make some money she should do it. Stardust image or not I'm always for the girls doing whatever they want to do.

Some photobooks, if done right, can appeal to both men and women, not just perverts :)) Didn't they reveal Kojima Haruna's best selling photobook (I think best selling photobook for any idol) was bought by almost 50% women? I think she has a wider audience because the pics are really well done and not tacky as most gravure. So I hope Mirei's pics fall under the "Not so tacky" label at least, hoping for Kojiharu level of perfection is too much.

Jurina has some cool shots too, and she was Mirei's age when they happened. At the end of the day it all depends on the kind of gravure.
    Spoiler:

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Sorry about the savage jokes and the frankness but I can't help it when it comes to the subject... :)

Both of you have made the valid points here
    No matter what there is the stigma and it is a direction which we were all happy that it was not happening at Stardust
    And what Mirei wanted or not shouldn't have been a deciding factor.
    And quite frankly what the girls want almost never is for management
    I'm sure all the girls would love to wear some pretty AKB dresses instead of weird or funny costumes once in a while on stage or do their nails
    But they're not allowed to. Stardust has a concept and it's a good one.
    I don't want to sound overly dramatic but I just hope that they have not opened Pandora's box here

I guess I'm still on the edge because of the tabloid stuff

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    Nah, Dempagumi members do gravure as individuals and I don't think it takes away from the image they have as a group. As long as they don't use gravure to promote Ebichu, the members doing whatever project they want shouldn't affect the image of the group.

Now if the next Ebichu single is a bikini single I'd ready the torches :))

• September 2016
    113 Reputation
    I agree with Matt.

The girls can do what they want with their private lives, but when it comes to gravure it's a public matter. This is totally business.
    Stardust has an image. And gravure doesn't fit in with that image.
    I can see girls like Hitoka from TokiSen following suit.
    This is like the Nanairo Stardust MV all over again. If you let teenage girls make decisions regarding the company... shit's gonna go baaaadly.

I guess all we can do is ignore it and focus on the content that we enjoy.

Invader said:

Nah, Dempagumi members do gravure as individuals and I don't think it takes away from the image they have as a group.

I think you might be forgetting Moga's bit of fan service in the ちゅるりちゅるりら MV. Them being sexy otaku is totally part of their image :P

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    Scaphism said:

Invader said:

Nah, Dempagumi members do gravure as individuals and I don't think it takes away from the image they have as a group.

I think you might be forgetting Moga's bit of fan service in the ちゅるりちゅるりら MV. Them being sexy otaku is totally part of their image :P

True. Pinky also shows skin whenever she can. But it's not like they lose their silly appeal because they wore a bikini once.

Didn't they say in an interview that what made Ebichu evolve once was Mirei's rebelliousness when they should't wear colors yet she wore something Pink? She's being a rebel again. That doesn't mean all the members should do it though.

I honestly don't care about Stardust image as a company since they've had mishaps that already tarnished their image.

• September 2016
    154 Reputation
    I'm back, what did I miss? LOL

• September 2016
    113 Reputation
    Mishaps are fine. A lot of their singles have been total mishaps.
    But this sets a precedence, and if other girls want to do gravure, stardust won't be able to stop them.

So this might not be another "mishap", but rather a "major fuckup".

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I don't think you can compare Dempa to the Stardust groups. They're a lot more loose.

And I wasn't talking about Stardust's image as a company (they're as ruthless as any other agency when it comes to business matters I'm sure)
    And I haven't forgotten how they handled the helium incident for example
    I was talking about they're concept when it came to section 3 (which is basically a very clever business scheme too and has nothing to do with them being nice folks)
    And that was not following the gravure road but making it a safe and enjoyable trip for everyone following it. And it became a huge part of their success

And yeah, Mirei certainly has a strong-minded head on her shoulders...

• September 2016
    113 Reputation
    Yeah, I also mean image as in the "Wacky idols" image.
    And the mishaps I'm referring to are Nanairo Stardust and Momoiro Clover Z's collaboration singles. Mishaps in direction of groups.
    I'm not too happy with TokiSen's new single (it's too serious) but I'm sure the B-sides are gonna be loads of fun so I'm not worried.

ANYWAY. We gotta wait and see how this turns out. Matt and I might be freaking out over nothing...
    Or maybe we're right and you guys don't realize how big of a deal this is!

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1423 Reputation
    Scaphism said:

Mishaps are fine. A lot of their singles have been total mishaps.
    But this sets a precedence, and if other girls want to do gravure, stardust won't be able to stop them.

So this might not be another "mishap", but rather a "major fuckup".

it's true, let's jump out the window !

come on we aren't alarmist please

• September 2016
    113 Reputation
    vimoral said:

it's true, let's jump out the window !

come on we aren't alarmist please

Lol
    As I said before. This gravure thing is happening.
    We just gotta deal with it.
    So no jumping out windows :P

• September 2016
    12 Reputation
    How about this? I'm still confused whether this is true or just a myth.

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Well that was a real shocker. I thought Stardust has a no swimsuit or costumes showing too much skin policy? Or does it just apply to Momoclo?
    I agree with Matt.
    I seriously don't see the point in swimsuits. I have no idea what this purpose will serve. If it's about popularity, the girls are doing fine without half nude gravure. It's unnecessary. Even if it's Mirei's request, she's still representing Ebichu so it's carrying their name.
    If this is about pulling in new fans, then the new fans going to be disappointed with what they find because I'll admit, the girls are not like normal idol group.
    They don't act cute. They don't try to be sexy. They're just whacky, crazy and all over the place.
    Any idol group who can achieve this many fans, performed at an epic venue, has its own TV show and appear in many commercials without resorting to swimsuits and fanservice, deserve respect and admiration.
    I guess that's why groups like 48G don't attract me because I'm turned off by their theme. Not saying everyone should have the same taste but to me, Ebichu should be Ebichu. They don't have to follow mainstream idols and there are perfectly good amount of audience for that.

As for Mirei, I think she's rushing too much to become an adult. This is what I'm feeling.
    I guess being in university, you get to meet a lot of people with different age group and mentality.
    But slow down, girl! She's still considered a minor in Japan.