• vimoralvimoral

February 6
    2163 Reputation
    Exactly, she is fiancee.

From what I understood the doctor already treated her when she was in Momoclo

• February 6
    3904 Reputation
    The encounter with those reporters was a couple of weeks ago
    Her graduation was over a year ago

If the relationship was already going on back then it may have been one factor in her decision to graduate.
    But I think wanting to decide herself which direction her solo career would take was the main one

• February 6
    3904 Reputation
    And then again maybe they had a long-term plan
    Who knows

Not sure if it's a such a grand idea to manage herself though (with her future hubby-physician as office president)
    I hope she's not biting off more than she can chew

• vimoralvimoral

February 6
    2163 Reputation
    Yes, but I do not think they was promised in a few weeks of relationship, surely they were already together when she graduated.

I think the main reasons for her graduation was to prioritize her health and the need to take a break, but the fact that it was so sudden and will not celebrate the 10th anniversary of the group (as she commented in her graduation live "I would have liked to be on the 10th anniversary but in the end it was not possible ") I think that her courtship with the doctor precipitated his graduation.

• diegowg

February 6
    16 Reputation
    Is it true that the doctor is 48 years old?

• vimoralvimoral

February 7
    2163 Reputation
    I don't know, where have you seen that information?

• ebizoriebizori

February 7
    2592 Reputation
    I came across such information but for now it is only gossip

• February 7
    83 Reputation
    It's interesting how an idol simply being in a relationship with someone could upset their fans. It's also interesting (and noble) that Momoka would take care to apologize to her potentially upset fans. I know it's just part of the idol culture, that pure perception, but it's just so different than things in the west.

Anyway, congratulations to Momoka. Hopefully Doc is a good man and their relationship is healthy and happy. I, too, wonder if being your own manager is a good idea. It's close to home, combining work with your love life. What if the relationship goes sour? Does Doc have any experience in this type of work? Did Momoka's experience as a performer give her enough insight to be able to successfully manage her own career? I guess we'll find out.

But regardless...Yay Momoka's return to showbiz!

• February 7
    3904 Reputation
    Aside from the fact that she isn't an idol anymore

• February 7
    126 Reputation

Considering the way things have played out over the past 13 months, and the words Momoka san posted on her social media yesterday, it's almost certain that the good doctor was a major influence in all of the decision making and events precipitating the departure, faux fantasy life style scenario posted on Instagram over the past year, and the unfortunate circumstances that forced Momoka san to show her cards this week.

According to a variety of sources, the good doctor's name is Kojima Naoki (児島直樹), he's 48 years old, and has been a long time psychiatrist to prominent entertainers in Japan, Ariyasu Momoka among them. Also being reported is that his psychiatric clinic has the name "The Apricot Clinic", and Kojima san's name also appears as the director of Ariyasu's new company "Apricot".

Regarding the vast age difference, so called "May-December" relationships can be successful, though are unique in their challenges.

For example, Ariyasu's dad is likely to be around the same age as the good doctor...maybe even younger. That may be (or not) a very difficult challenge when it comes to family acceptance. Another issue is kids.

If they decide to have children right now, when their first born reaches age of majority in Japan (20yrs) Ariyasu will be 43 and the good doctor will be pushing 70. Not necessarily a problem, but a range of issues in regards to childrearing will enter the picture.

Also with age natural physical changes and attrition can challenge intimacy. Again, it goes with the territory, so not necessarily a problem for those committed to their love for each other.

Many couples such as Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn could certainly help us better understand all of these challenges.

In any case, it all seems like a "happy ending" scenario, including a much better understanding of what likely caused all of the sudden changes to Momoiro Clover Z a year ago.

One last thought: When mental health professionals "cross the line" and become involved with their patients it is known as "transference" and considered a sacred breach of professional ethics. Not that it doesn't happen all of the time.

A friend of mine and her husband who were having problems with their relationship went to see a marriage counselor. After six months of couple's therapy it was revealed that my friend and the marriage counselor had got into a relationship. Needless to say the marriage didn't work out, but she's still together with her doctor.

And so it goes...
    RR

Dr. Kojima Naoki

• February 9
    3904 Reputation

• February 9
    372 Reputation
    The age difference is one thing. It's a bit odd, and there is an inherent power imbalance, but those relationships can work. However, if it is true that he really was her therapist then that is such an extreme breach of ethics. I don't know what the laws are like in Japan regarding this, but where I live (and am studying to become a psychologist) that is the quickest way to lose your licence. There is such a power imbalance and difference in dependency that you can never really get around.

Important to note is that she is in no way to blame for this. This is entirely on him. Or course, it's not impossible that is truly a genuine and happy relationship, and for Momoka's sake I truly hope that it is. However, this whole thing is littered with so many red flags that it's hard for me to believe the optimistic version of this story. I hope she stays safe.

• RevanRevan

February 9
    230 Reputation
    I agree with Flowercreek
    I hope doc really love her, that he let her go
    it's probably the only way to save her and her career(I hope) , and maybe even his career as doc too

• February 9
    3904 Reputation
    She's not a child though, so to put a potential blame just on him seems a bit unfair to me
    Aside from that we know very little (if nothing) about what exactly ailed her and what he did to help her

But I agree that there are a lof things coming together here.
    Each not a factor in itself but put together enough to make one's eyebrows being raised
    The age difference, the doctor-patience dependence
    And then of course the fact that her new agency not only carries his clinic's name but also sees him as jimusho head it seems

If this has all helped her get rid of her old demons and become a free and creative artist (and a happy human being) then they're doing everything right
    But like Flowercreek I am having a hard time thinking positive right now

In the end though it's her life and her decision

• RevanRevan

February 9
    230 Reputation
    Maybe flowercreek should write it like this , "She is in no way to blame for this, if there is anyone to be blame is doc..."
    is it okay if it's like this ?
    btw Long time no see Matt, well actually i'm the one that is gone lol

what I've been reading so far, the biggest red flag is Doc - Patient relations,
    tbh. it's fuill of red flag and all is from doc side

• February 9
    3904 Reputation
    Yeah welcome back Revan :)

And no that's not what I meant
    While it's the duty of the doctor to prevent something like this happening I think it would be too easy to whitewash her of all responsibilities.
    After all she's not a child anymore but a consenting adult
    Aside from which we don't know if he didn't end being her psychotherapist when the affair started
    Too lilttle facts are know to make a judgement
    Question is if there's anyone to blame for anything anyhow...

• February 9
    417 Reputation
    vimoral said:

From what I understood the doctor already treated her when she was in Momoclo

Understand from where? Patient records are confidential. I doubt even the tabloids would ever make such a claim (because it's defamation, and a particularly costly one since it implies that a successful psychiatrist is in breach of ethics).

So this is probably a rumor made up by someone on social media, with zero basis in reality. But, if you have a published article (by an entity that could be sued for defamation if they were lying) making the claim, please link it (it's fine if it's in Japanese).

• February 9
    3904 Reputation
    Dunno how accurate the translation is but her handwritten message said
    “I am currently in a relationship with a man with plans for marriage...As a doctor, he is the one who supported my activities in the past.”
    http://www.momoiroclover.net/discussion/comment/43344#Comment_43344

• February 10
    116 Reputation
    I pretty much agree with Flowercreek and Matt.

On a positive side, no one can say that Momoka is not being consistent:

• February 10
    126 Reputation
    An excellent example of a successful May-December relationship would be that of Canadian superstar Celine Dion and her late husband René Angélil.

The couple met in 1980 when she was 12 years old and he was 38.

René Angélil became her manager and they started a romantic relationship in 1988 when she was 19 and he was 45.

Celine and René got married in 1994, and they had three children together. (Photo 2010)

In 2016, at age 73, René died of a heart attack.

As happily as it all worked out for Celine Dion and René Angélil, it still unsettles me to think about the current May-December couple.

I can't help but wonder when Momoka san met Dr. Kojima and she began her psychological therapy with him. My curiosity, the mental health aspects, and the couple's first meeting aside, there is no reason to believe that Ariyasu Momoka and Kojima Naoki won't have a long, mutually beneficial, fruitful, and happy life together.

I LOVE how the Japanese tabloids puts a cover over Dr. Kojima's eyes, trying to hide his identity - Makes it look more like Momoka san is driving around with Hayashi Hiroyuki from POLYSICS.

Hayashi san is only 40 by the way.
    RR