Tori to sakana to kaze to honou to
    Soshite ima shoujo wa tobira wo aketa

Ah, ukiyoe maki
    Kono sora no warera hitokakera
    Ah, omou ga mama doko e demo jidai koete yuke

• mavmav

January 2015
    171 Reputation
    Thank you Mocha-san for the explanation! That was a very nice read.

The PV for this song is indeed top notch, both in animation and imagery, although I wonder if the references would be a little too obscure for the general audience :))

With that said, I have to be honest......I'm still not entirely convinced on this song
    Yes, the riff is catchy as hell, and the chorus isn't bad either, but on the whole it just seems......."not bad" ?

When MOON PRIDE came out I looped it like crazy...same with KONOYUBi TOMALe, while here it just seems like a nice BGM for watching the PV
    Even songs which I didn't listen to as much such as Naiitemo, Doudou, or Gekkou, I appreciated them for the different directions and growth progress.
    Here I find it kinda ironic that the director is the same as GOUNN's, because I regard the two songs in a similar way- pretty solid, but not something I'd actively listen to a lot, and on the whole just not that interesting if you look at the song by itself.

If it was just a regular single I wouldn't have minded that much, but this is their biggest collab to date.
    I guess the real gripe I have with it is that, since this is undoubtedly going to be one of their largest exposures to an international audience, would we want "Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina" to be the introduction song (or PV) for Momoclo?

Yeah yeah this seems to be over-thinking a bit, but as someone who got into Momoclo primarily because of their music, it irks me to no end when people dismiss them as "just another idol group"

I'll reserve further judgement until after I watch the debut on Music Station, since no Momoclo song is complete without seeing the live performance.

Just my two cents, sorry if I rained on anyone's parade

• January 2015
    5201 Reputation
    KISS - ベスト・オブ KISS 40

• January 2015
    144 Reputation
    mav said:

If it was just a regular single I wouldn't have minded that much, but this is their biggest collab to date.
    I guess the real gripe I have with it is that, since this is undoubtedly going to be one of their largest exposures to an international audience, would we want "Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina" to be the introduction song (or PV) for Momoclo?

Yeah yeah this seems to be over-thinking a bit, but as someone who got into Momoclo primarily because of their music, it irks me to no end when people dismiss them as "just another idol group"

I agree that this probably isn't the strongest song for showing off Momoclo to new audiences, but I'm thinking that since the composition was all done on the Kiss side of things, they were aiming more to get exposure for Kiss in Japan than to introduce Momoclo internationally. Because of this, they probably didn't go too far from the way a Kiss song would usually be done, and that might have resulted in something that doesn't sound too remarkable to Western audiences.

On a side note, the Western reception to this does seem to largely be "Kiss came up with this stunt to try and cash in on the popularity of Babymetal". Unfortunately, Momoclo is kind of being written off as an imitator a lot of the time, which like you said is pretty annoying.

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation

but I'm thinking that since the composition was all done on the Kiss side of things, they were aiming more to get exposure for Kiss in Japan than to introduce Momoclo internationally.

I agree with this, and their marketing director just outright stated about the same thing. but so far I'm not seeing any ridiculous hate comments in the youtube comment section, which is considered as the worst place in earth.
    mav said:

I'll reserve further judgement until after I watch the debut on Music Station, since no Momoclo song is complete without seeing the live performance.

can't rely too much on Music Station, so far all of their performances in M Sute were little bit cringeworthy :-S

• InvaderInvader

January 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Is the international audience paying any attention to this at all? because I've only seen a couple of articles online and the Youtube comments are basically either Japanese or people who already knew Momoclo. And the few comments of people who didn't know them compare them to BABYMETAL.

In the end I think people don't give a damn about KISS so not many people are checking this out. As it was said before it means more exposure for KISS in Japan but little exposure for Momoclo internationally.

• January 2015
    66 Reputation
    mocha21 said:

Let's continue the spot all the references game ;)):

[...]
    4. Red and white mountain -> kouhaku?
    [...]

While adding to the already long list, my personal, irrelevant praise for your extensive research, I take the opportunity for some very marginal observations and questions.

Regarding the passage quoted, I think that a trivial reference was omitted, in favour perhaps of an interesting but too clever explanation.

Indeed, the general "frame" is given by the Utagawa school in the way you clearly demonstrate and an absolutely sufficient "cohesion" is attained for the work (which as usual for MCZ is not meant to be purely musical), not needing further development.
    [Even if the CD/BD version of the PV could be slightly edited or extended, as it happened for example with the longer opening sequence of「Z女戦争」].

On the other hand, other ukiyo-e authors and works are meaningful for the background.
    The most evident is Hokusai's depiction of the so called "Red Fuji"
    (the key title of course is 「凱風快晴」, but there is also the darker
    「山下白雨」)
    which is "discoulored" by KISS and re-coloured by Kanako (who else?) with a slightly "magical girl" touch.

Other particulars may be more reminiscent of Hiroshige, but it is not the point here.

About the equipment details, I have to thank you again for pointing out so many obscure elements, in the case of Momoka, for example (that arrow passed well over my head, so to speak).

Regarding Reni, some doubts remain.
    The weapons you define "chained scythes" appear in the end more similar to decorative "wheels", than scythes... (If they are not trivial clovers)

A very common motif for Jizo statues and other popular buddhist imagery, but why here?
    Though, as we already noted, there is also a 「極楽門」, and "some" connection with the "GOUNN" PV, so maybe...

Anyway, I am vaguely reminded of her, wielding a proper nunchaku in the Mitsubishi-produced 「このウタ」 video.
    Is there any relation, or perhaps a common source?

• mocha21mocha21

January 2015
    380 Reputation
    Ah, so it's Hokusai's, I'm paying attention too much in Utagawa :)) and that's exactly why I put the question mark, since I'm not really sure with it. Thanks for letting me know.
    The chained scythe thing came from this painting of Sadamitsu
    Spoiler:

didn't added it in the pic before because I'm still unsure whether the painting came from, could be Utagawa but nothing showed up in google reverse search, and looks like you're spot-on with Reni's nunchaku in the music video :)) , this is not too far-fetched I guess
    Spoiler:

Couldn't find about the significance of the pinwheel but it's a popular weapon of choice in some modern fiction works and is exactly used to slash people like a scythe rather than magically blow things away.
    Spoiler:

• January 2015
    91 Reputation
    Invader said:

Is the international audience paying any attention to this at all? because I've only seen a couple of articles online and the Youtube comments are basically either Japanese or people who already knew Momoclo. And the few comments of people who didn't know them compare them to BABYMETAL.

In the end I think people don't give a damn about KISS so not many people are checking this out. As it was said before it means more exposure for KISS in Japan but little exposure for Momoclo internationally.

I think it's quite the contrary... In Brazil Kiss is still very very popular.
    Many fans are seeing the clip, many singers around the whole world are watching this too.
    Even if for some peopleo the first impression is "weird" many people are watching it carefully because of Kiss' importance in the world music and now a looooooot of important people in the music industry will know about Momoclo.
    Also, lots of friends of mine that aren't into japanese songs liked this song and the music video.

• honkey5honkey5

January 2015
    304 Reputation
    While I'm all about Momoclo having an international hit, I don't want MCZ attracting the same type of crowd Babymetal sometimes seems to have (hypsters & creepy dudes) I know I'm being a bit pedantic here, but I'd hate to see kids who aren't even fans wearing Momoclo shirts bought at Hot-topic

• January 2015
    5201 Reputation
    3 singles project
    http://www.momoclo2015sg.com/bonus/

If fans purchase different 3CDs(Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina, Seishunfu and DBZ theme song?), they can participate in the lottery for prize competition.
    The winners selected in a drawing will be invited on Special Live.
    There are opinions on the pros and cons of this project.

• eyelesseyeless

January 2015
    2256 Reputation
    Finally after a long time they try to inflate sales with event :)
    Which normal for every other idol groups, kpop and exile groups, but not momoclo. I actually wanna see this to see how much it will affect sales

• January 2015
    131 Reputation
    The fact that the management thinks it's necessary to adopt these tactics is kind of worrying. Are they trying to get fans to buy dozens of CDs to get multiple entries like AKB or Johnny's do?

• January 2015
    366 Reputation
    so if someone wants to get a multiple entries (maybe more than 100x3 CDs/person if they're crazy enough), that means they should create 100 email addresses (or 97, maybe). :-?

too much hassle... :-<

• mavmav

January 2015
    171 Reputation
    I'll be the first to say that I am firmly opposed to this.

If they want to get sales figures up, it should be because the singles themselves are of high quality and the songs are good. It's not like they haven't had good sales figures before. Release high quality products and actually put out an effort to market them correctly, and you'll be accordingly rewarded with high figures.

Doing these kind of promotions will only hurt fans in the long run, since record companies will be forced to continue these promotions if they don't want the sales to revert, resulting in a vicious circle. Do we really want them to grab high sale numbers even if the songs are mediocre? Sure it might look good on paper, but what does that mean for fans?

Speaking with your wallet is the best way for a consumer to tell a company/artist/group/whatever if you like their products or not. Hijacking the product by linking it with something else a consumer desires negates this form of consumer feedback, and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Another thing equally important to me is that I don't want the girls to have their reputations tarnished.

I do believe that the lottery is on an account basis using FB or Twitter, so I'm relieved it's at least not a completely blatant money grab.
    (EDIT: nvm, you can register just by using e-mail accounts)

With that said, just because they announced this project, I'm strongly considering to boycott all three singles.

• Nantok

January 2015
    589 Reputation
    eyeless said:

Finally after a long time they try to inflate sales with event :)

You think that`s a good thing?

• honkey5honkey5

January 2015
    304 Reputation

With that said, just because they announced this project, I'm already strongly thinking of boycotting all three singles.

So you´re punishing Momoclo because something that maybe is King Records idea and not Momoclo´s management?

Record sales are in the red, that´s nothign new. The income of artists like MCZ comes from concert tickets, not record sales. And that applies not only for nippon artists but international artists. Lady Gaga latest album flopped, but she still sells out arenas. U2´s latest was a failure, sales wise. But if and when they anounce concert dates the tickets will evaporate in minutes. So it´s the record company the ones that come with this kind of stunts. Even if the Kiss colab fails to sell you wont see the Momoclo girls kicking a can down the street, just try to get tickets for the next venues and see if im wrong.
    Also i dont think that is fair putting this to AKB48 levels. MCZ singles only come in 2 versions, the bonus dvd or the extra song. Thats hardly AKB48 material...last time i checked there were like 6 versions of an AKB48 single.
    I agree tough, the reason you should be spendinng your money on a single is because you liked the songs, not because there is a prize included

• January 2015
    5201 Reputation
    mav said:

Speaking with your wallet is the best way for a consumer to tell a company whether you like their products or not.

I agree with you completely.

• mavmav

January 2015
    171 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

So you´re punishing Momoclo because something that maybe is King Records idea and not Momoclo´s management?

I'm doing this precisely because this is something I'm nearly positive is King Record's doing, and I want to tell them with my wallet that I don't approve.

Just like you said, even if record sales flop, people will still go to their concerts. That is precisely why I don't like the idea of linking the two together....you're essentially encouraging people to spend money for something other than the actual product.

Bad business ethics aside, I think this is a huge insult to the singers (Momoclo), musicians, songwriters, and producers of the CD. Doing this is the same as saying that you don't believe in their works

There are tons of other Momoclo products I can spend my money on, not to mention the cut Momoclo get from CD sales is probably much lower than other products anyway (that's just how the industry works, since Momoclo aren't writing or producing the songs themselves)

• eyelesseyeless

January 2015
    2256 Reputation
    Nantok said:

You think that`s a good thing?

No, personally I don't like it. But I'm not gonna oppose or support this. I just wanna see it from aside how it's gonna be.

Mav is pretty much on point. But from the positive side, look at how much attention Momusu get when they started to inflate their sales.