[SINGLE]15th Z no Chikai
  • honkey5honkey5

May 2015
    304 Reputation
    i see what you guys mean, but MCZ just put 3 singles in 4 months, and "Z no chikai" is not exactly a "inmediate" song like the ones, lets say, Perfume releases, even with the catchy chorus of "Z.." .
    I agree with the "i dont like kiss/sailor moon/DBZ so i wont buy" way of thinking some fans have that Invader points. "Moon Pride" is the only MCZ single i dont own from the Z era because Sailor Moon Crystal didnt convinced me

In the end, i wouldnt worry too much. I´ll worry when they stop packing concerts, when they stop being guests on tv shows, when blogs stop having comments, etc..

• May 2015
    144 Reputation
    I am kind of surprised that the total was that low. From the few visible numbers I thought it was doing about as well as Seishunfu; I'm guessing the first day sales must not have been that much.

Invader's theory about collaborations seems pretty likely - with Seishunfu it was basically Momoclo's own show, so it might not have been affected as much by that. On the other hand though, sometimes collaborations hit it pretty big; that Nana Mizuki / T.M.Revolution one from a couple years ago sold a lot (maybe the cheap CD only edition helped though).

• honkey5honkey5

May 2015
    304 Reputation
    All in all, its a shame because the b-sides are as good as the main song...

• May 2015
    5201 Reputation
    BABYMETAL fans
    "Why did Momoclo employ them?"

M1, Z no Chikai
    Music:NARASAKI(Head Bangya!!, Catch me if you can)
    Arrangement:Yuyoyuppe(Megitsune, Akumu no Rondo, Uki Uki ★ Midnight)

M3. CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA
    Arrangement:tatsuo(Megitsune, Onedari Daisakusen, 4 no Uta)
    Bass:ikuo(BABYMETAL Ex-Kami Band)
    Drums:Aoyama Hideki(BABYMETAL Kami Band)

• May 2015
    38 Reputation
    momomofu said:

BABYMETAL fans

M1, Z no Chikai

M3. CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA

Wow. I will now listen again with new ears. We are getting closer to my dream: Kawakami and Kobayashi putting their heads together for a Momoclo/Babymetal collaboration that the universe will not to be able to contain.

• knot555

May 2015
    27 Reputation
    Oh my god! If BABYMETAL & Momoclo collaborated & performed together I'd be on the next plane out of Sydney!

• ArudoArudo

May 2015
    44 Reputation
    Now that would be bonkers. Babymetal made a huge impact overseas, so even if some people know Momoclo, that collaboration would only mean more people interested in them.

• honkey5honkey5

May 2015
    304 Reputation
    I just hope people dont start " Grrr MCZ ripping off Babymetal"...

Maybe im mistaken, but i believe both Babymetal and MCZ have covered "Chokotto Love"

• ArudoArudo

May 2015
    44 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

Maybe im mistaken, but i believe both Babymetal and MCZ have covered "Chokotto Love"

That reminded me of a comment I saw a few days ago, trying to say good things about Babymetal [since they are about to start their world tour, Mexico first!] some random guy said: "They even played with KISS".

:))

And yeah, both groups have covered Chokotto Love.

• May 2015
    366 Reputation
    momomofu said:

BABYMETAL fans

M1, Z no Chikai

M3. CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA

M3. found this:
    tatsuo:
    ■GILLE
    "I AM GILLE. 2"(UPCH-9885)
    「行くぜっ!怪盗少女」
    Sound Produce/Arrangement/Programming/Guitar
    2013年9月4日
    because it's easier to work with people that had worked with you before. like why Motohiro hired Kanno Yuugo for Maku ga Agaru. :-?

• May 2015
    262 Reputation
    western babymetal fans are weird. I've seen odd accusations of all kinds of groups ripping them off, even if they'd been around longer. apparently nobody ever thought to combine metal and jpop before babymetal came around. so their reaction to Momoclo would be... interesting.

• May 2015
    144 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

Too late...
    http://www.asianjunkie.com/2015/05/momoiro-clover-z-in-z-no-chikai-is-like-a-poor-mans-babymetal-and-crayon-pop/

Never mind that it was, you know, composed by the same person as a bunch of BM's stuff, and that he was writing for Momoclo first. :-\"
    There were people making "Babymetal rip-off" comments back when they did the Kiss collab, too.

• May 2015
    262 Reputation
    I don't want to say I told you so...

it's weird how many babymetal fans seem to be in denial about the fact that they actually like jpop

• InvaderInvader

May 2015
    1737 Reputation

I had a good laugh with that. As much as I like Crayon Pop (their recent releases not so much), I can't believe people out there think they are competition to Momoclo.

Momoclo is not known internationally at all so it's kind of normal for people to think the groups they heard about are more important than those they haven't. When they start throwing accusations like that, it's amusing and annoying at the same time.

• May 2015
    904 Reputation
    It's kind of contradicting because the author of that article was aware of Crayon Pop doing things similar to the girls yet still praises them for being better due to their own tastes. But then again, this isn't really something Id get involved with in the comments section.

• honkey5honkey5

May 2015
    304 Reputation
    Obviously, those people never heard "Bionic Cherry " or "Dream Wave"..... But you´d think at least they would be aware of "Mugen no ai"

• May 2015
    77 Reputation
    That wasn't even a proper review or write up. I know the blog is a blog and not PitchFork or The Fader but sheesh this 'review' doesn't do anything for me. There's no thoughtful analysis or any real substance. Still, if people (outsiders) are confused or unclear about what you do/what you're trying to do and or they are fixated on comparing you to what they think you sound like, maybe it's time to completely break the mold and create your own lane sonically. Although I'm still a novice when it comes to Momoclo and definitely the idol world(I still don't care for it too much), I still can't pin down what makes the group unique musically. It seems like Momoclo pretty much dabbles in every contemporary genre without really creating a sound that distinguishes them from the pack. Is that a characteristic of all J-pop? Is J-Pop just generic like that? I really don't know but maybe that's something their A&R team should consider?

I may check out Crayon Pop to see the hype though...

BiS is kinda cool. I like the vid one of the commenters put up. The song is kinda cool.

• May 2015
    262 Reputation
    Momoclo and some of their contemporaries were kind of on the forefront of the sea change that happened with idol music about 5 years ago. tackling a broad range of sounds IS the kind of revolutionary thing. I won't say that Momoclo were the origin of today's alternative idols, but their massive success definitely helped open the doors for lots of groups to have unusual takes on the idol model. there's a lot of creativity out there that simply didn't exist before.

• May 2015
    77 Reputation

Momoclo and some of their contemporaries were kind of on the forefront of the sea change that happened with idol music about 5 years ago. tackling a broad range of sounds IS the kind of revolutionary thing. I won't say that Momoclo were the origin of today's alternative idols, but their massive success definitely helped open the doors for lots of groups to have unusual takes on the idol model. there's a lot of creativity out there that simply didn't exist before.

Thank you for the information. I apologize for my ignorance. I still think like a 90s A&R person but okay, after pioneering that transition, what distinguishes them from arguably their carbon copies? How does a group that pioneered a sort of musical diversity then not only distinguish itself from the pack but also evolve? What does the evolution look like or is the evolution for Momoclo just getting better at what Momoclo does? Getting better at genre bending? Singing etc

The lady in my avatar helped pioneer a new sound for contemporary R&B but by the 2000s when pretty much everyone tried to emulate the sound she created with two now legendary producers, she dabbled in industrial Rock and created the framework for what's not called Alternative R&B. She died in 2001 but there was a clear natural progression in her career musically. I guess, I'm asking about Momoclo's. I could be overthinking this but I've come to care about this group so I ask.

I like this song btw. I think the verses are boring but chorus is catchy. The production is amazing though.

• May 2015
    262 Reputation
    hard to tell. you're talking about a genre that historically has existed as a disposable product. idols were never meant to last.

although I guess you could look to Perfume as a possible model. they started as pretty generic idols before hitting it big. now they spend a lot of their time as tv presenters and appearing in commercials and such.

Kanako said she wants to follow what boy groups like SMAP and Arashi have done, and make a career of being all-around celebrities, and they're already on their way. if they can work their way into getting a successful prime-time variety show, they're basically set for life.