[SINGLE]15th Z no Chikai
  • AzureusAzureus

April 2015
    1470 Reputation
    A high production PV like that should be a full version. I guess they want people to buy the limited edition to see it or we might as well wait till someone put it online.

• RevanRevan

April 2015
    230 Reputation
    chaozu can use 4 arms jutsu ?, i thought ten sin han is the only one can do it XD

• InvaderInvader

April 2015
    1737 Reputation
    Short version? Momoclo is getting all the bad habits other acts have. Having almost all their PVs full version on Youtube without region block was great. Now they're going backwards. It might get them more sales for the Limited edition in Japan, but it's a silly decision for a global market. Youtube it's probably the best platform to promote overseas, even better than releasing US versions of the album.

I'm bitter cause now I can't brag as much showing people this amazing PV :)) . I guess it's the perfect size for an anime OP (but this is a movie so it doesn't really apply)

• ArudoArudo

April 2015
    44 Reputation
    Damn, I was eager to show the full version to my friends and family :/
    I'm still getting both versions, but I have to agree that it's kinda silly, I mean, why not upload the full MV to Youtube?. Man, I hope this is the last time we see this.

• April 2015
    262 Reputation
    best single since... Saraba maybe? very good stuff.

• ArudoArudo

April 2015
    44 Reputation

I still need to listen CHALA HEAD CHALA, but as for Z no Chikai, yeah. NARASAKI is godlike.

• April 2015
    77 Reputation
    Invader said:

Short version? Momoclo is getting all the bad habits other acts have. Having almost all their PVs full version on Youtube without region block was great. Now they're going backwards. It might get them more sales for the Limited edition in Japan, but it's a silly decision for a global market. Youtube it's probably the best platform to promote overseas, even better than releasing US versions of the album.

I'm bitter cause now I can't brag as much showing people this amazing PV :)) . I guess it's the perfect size for an anime OP (but this is a movie so it doesn't really apply)

Agree with all of this lol especially the Youtube. It boggles my mind how little their marketing team uses Youtube. Posting a video a week is enough. It doesn't even have to be new content. Sure there are people who use Spotify and other digital streaming platforms but studies show ( I just read something in Adweek) that Youtube is content king for music consumers internationally.

• April 2015
    144 Reputation
    Arudo said:

I still need to listen CHALA HEAD CHALA, but as for Z no Chikai, yeah. NARASAKI is godlike.

I was pretty sure this would be the best single in a long time when I saw his name on it. No one except Hyadain really understands how to write songs in the spirit of Momoclo as well as NARASAKI imo.

Short version makes me sad though. :(( I guess they still aren't that interested in marketing internationally.

• April 2015
    904 Reputation
    I think it's more of the company's idea of showing only this, or they're just trying to challenge the international audience into buying more cds to see if they'll sell overseas or not. It's already a struggle buying singles and albums with the full PV released, this just makes the struggle even harder, especially for those who can't afford to buy some of this (or have permission if you're talking about minors). I was really hoping that Seishunfu's was the only PV that had to be shortened due to potential spoilers. This PV.... not so much since it's not really based on the movie but more on the series, itself.
    And I highly doubt the girls aren't interested in an international audience, especially after their experience overseas back in 2011 and 2012 as well as the continuous support from fanmails and projects. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue on. I understand if there's a trailer and there's a collaboration that can lead to spoilers but shortening the PV won't help if there are no spoilers of the collaboration involved (aside from those wanting to watch Dragonball for the first time). But not all overseas fans have the opportunity to buy every single CD released. I was lucky enough to get permission to buy the 2 albums and a little merch but I wasn't allowed to buy anything else due to financial setbacks. We need something! D:<

• April 2015
    262 Reputation
    shipping is just so expensive. I don't mind doing it for full albums but I just buy singles digitally when possible. I think trying to sell a bunch of singles overseas -without actually distributing them worldwide- is a losing battle, if that's even what they're trying to do.

re: NARASAKI- word is that Coaltar of the Deepers (his band, for those unaware) are coming off of hiatus, so it's a good time to be a fan of his

• ArudoArudo

April 2015
    44 Reputation

shipping is just so expensive. I don't mind doing it for full albums but I just buy singles digitally when possible. I think trying to sell a bunch of singles overseas -without actually distributing them worldwide- is a losing battle, if that's even what they're trying to do.

re: NARASAKI- word is that Coaltar of the Deepers (his band, for those unaware) are coming off of hiatus, so it's a good time to be a fan of his

I totally agree. The shipping I'm gonna pay for getting Z no Chikai is pretty much the same price as the single itself. I'm only buying this because I want to keep my CD collection growing, and also because I'm like the biggest Dragon Ball fan. NARASAKI! I also read that on his Twitter account, I can't wait! If I remember correctly, last Coaltar of the Deepers album was 2007, right?

• April 2015
    262 Reputation
    I think they've had a scattered EP or single or two in the meantime, but yeah I think you're right.

• April 2015
    449 Reputation
    I don't take issue with them using previews. It generates more views and more ad revenue, and since they are actually selling the music videos, it's understandable that they'd want to protect their product.

However, I do take issue with them not uploading the full video soon after the release. Most everyone who is going to buy the version with the DVD bought one as a pre-order and they're almost certainly not going to sell that many more copies of it after the first week. That means that they should be uploading the full version at least a week after the release, if not on the day, because if they don't, they're just going to lose views to unofficial uploaders most likely on either sites.

• InvaderInvader

April 2015
    1737 Reputation
    What bothers me is the change. We used to get full PVs, now we don't. If they want to sell limited editions they should add a making of or something, we're fans we'd pretty much buy anything and I doubt someone who's not a fan would buy it just for the PV.

The trailers are ok because they don't take away anything from us. I'd like to see proof that trailers for PVs really generate more views though. In my opinion a lot of people watch something because it's new, so they might watch the trailer but then they won't watch the full thing because they've kinda "already seen it".

Their most watched PVs and best selling singles/albums didn't have trailers as far as I know. I guess I just think there's nothing to gain from this practice.

• April 2015
    114 Reputation
    This short version thing really bothers me... Just see seishunfu for example, the short ver. got less than 300k views. While the trailer for the hole single has about 600k. This metod doesn't works really well... Behind the fact that this is really annoying for international fans.

• April 2015
    372 Reputation
    1. They're not interested in youtube hits, they're interested in sales. And you can't sell something if at the same time it's available for free on youtube.

2. For every person who declares themselves angry at a marketing tactic on the Internet, there are 1000 who understand that it's a business, and don't have a problem with it. There's nothing to get annoyed at. If you don't want to watch the short version, don't watch it. The video will be available eventually.

3. They will never base their marketing decisions on how it will affect international fans. I'm just glad they even acknowledge us at all. There's nowhere near enough of us to warrant any special consideration.

• April 2015
    366 Reputation
    I got the similarity between Seishunfu and Z no Chikai besides their "annoying" short version...
    Fuji TV related. just kidding. :))

• InvaderInvader

April 2015
    1737 Reputation

1. They're not interested in youtube hits, they're interested in sales. And you can't sell something if at the same time it's available for free on youtube.

Yes, yes you can. They've been doing it for years! Or did Saraba not sell because the full PV was available on youtube? You're not only buying the PV, you get the songs too, so people buy it for that. The general public might buy the song if it gets more exposure, and more exposure includes youtube.

2. For every person who declares themselves angry at a marketing tactic on the Internet, there are 1000 who understand that it's a business, and don't have a problem with it. There's nothing to get annoyed at. If you don't want to watch the short version, don't watch it. The video will be available eventually.

Yes, it's business, but it's bad business. The problem it's I get the feeling Evil Line thinks this is going to improve sales. It won't. There isn't going to be a lot of people who buy it just to get the full PV. The impact of releasing a short version is going to be bad for business, people buying the song to watch the full PV will be less than the people who would have bought it if the got addicted to it through youtube.

3. They will never base their marketing decisions on how it will affect international fans. I'm just glad they even acknowledge us at all. There's nowhere near enough of us to warrant any special consideration.

Alright, this is true. However, I don't think the short version is a bad idea just for international fans. It's a bad idea in Japan too. They were giving the fans more for free, now they're giving them less, it doesn't matter where in the world you live, that never pleases fans.

If they want to leave the 70,000 sales slump they're on, they should do it with good music. Trying to do it by giving the fans less that they used to so the fans would buy the limited edition (which they would have, short version or not, heck, you get it on Blu-ray which is better) is not a good tactic in my opinion.

When I heard the song and loved it I started thinking this time they'll sell more, but now I kind of think is going to sale the same as they've been selling. I'll consider 80,000 a success if they manage it.

• April 2015
    372 Reputation
    Invader, where did you study marketing, that you feel qualified to judge the job people who went to school to learn how to sell things, do?

• InvaderInvader

April 2015
    1737 Reputation

Invader, where did you study marketing, that you feel qualified to judge the job people who went to school to learn how to sell things, do?

At a Spanish University, Specializing in cultural goods distribution. Don't assume people on the internet aren't educated or that marketing teams on big companies can't screw things up every now and then :)) . Not everything they try is going to work, if it did every group would be #1.