[SINGLE]15th Z no Chikai
  • honkey5honkey5

May 2015
    304 Reputation

Momoclo and some of their contemporaries were kind of on the forefront of the sea change that happened with idol music about 5 years ago. tackling a broad range of sounds IS the kind of revolutionary thing. I won't say that Momoclo were the origin of today's alternative idols, but their massive success definitely helped open the doors for lots of groups to have unusual takes on the idol model. there's a lot of creativity out there that simply didn't exist before.

and all that with only 5 members, unlike the Hello! Project and AKB48 franchises.

I wont say that Crayon Pop is blatantly copying MCZ, but yeah, there are some details in Crayon Pop videos, songs, stage clothes that make you think "Mmmmh, where i´ve seen this before?" Its a shame because making guerrilla performances on the street is hard work, and the girls on Crayon Pop are hardworkers., i think its more of a marketing strategy from their management, to try and get some of the potential MCZ audience who MCZ doesnt reach because, basically, they are Japanese

Its a bit like italian group Lacuna Coil, having a respectable fan base in Europe, then coming to america only to be labeled of Evanescence clones, when in reality it was the other way around

• May 2015
    262 Reputation
    the Crayon Pop girls seem pretty cool from what I've seen of them on tv shows. I almost wish I liked their music more because of it. Soyul is a badass.

• May 2015
    77 Reputation
    @fishpockets - Thanks for engaging. I'm really learning a lot from this dialogue. I gotta turn my American critic hat off and remember that Jpop and its actors don't operate like American Pop and its actors.

As for Crayon Pop, I can't knock them for emulating Momoclo. Their branding is darn good.

• May 2015
    144 Reputation
    Hmm, a lot of interesting things were said here. I'm going to throw in my two cents on a few things, apologies for the long post :P

Bin82501 said:

That wasn't even a proper review or write up. I know the blog is a blog and not PitchFork or The Fader but sheesh this 'review' doesn't do anything for me. There's no thoughtful analysis or any real substance.

Well, to be fair, that's what that blog is about. It's supposed to be a snarky/half-trollish kind of thing, and the author isn't meant to be taken that seriously. The real issue for me is that a lot of the commenters actually do seem to think of Momoclo as a sort of inferior knock-off.

Bin82501 said:

I still think like a 90s A&R person but okay, after pioneering that transition, what distinguishes them from arguably their carbon copies? How does a group that pioneered a sort of musical diversity then not only distinguish itself from the pack but also evolve? What does the evolution look like or is the evolution for Momoclo just getting better at what Momoclo does? Getting better at genre bending? Singing etc

I mentioned this a while ago, but I think Momoclo already had the whole evolution and staying unique thing locked down when they promoted 5th Dimension with Neo Stargate and Birth 0 Birth. No other idol group really has made anything that sounds like those two songs, and I thought that these were going to mark Momoclo moving into an even wilder style of music than ever. I think part of the problem is that they didn't go through with that, so they did lose a bit of their distinctiveness. That being said, their compositions are still better crafted than the majority of their competition, Babymetal included imo. In Moon Pride, for example, which is maybe not so much of a standout in terms of uniqueness, you can really hear the care that was put into the instrumentation - there's so many little nuances going on. Most others don't have that. When it comes down to it, I think you can always stay pretty relevant if you follow the example of the band Rush, and keep an honest focus all the time on making your music the best it can be.

I'd also like to add that Momoclo has always had a sort of distinctive sound of its own, regardless of the genres they're mixing in. You can pretty clearly hear this style in Z Densetsu or Kaitou Shoujo (in other words the early Hyadain songs lol). Dempagumi inc. has tried to imitate it closely, but I don't think they pull it off quite as well, probably because it sounds like a conscious effort to imitate.

I don't want to say I told you so...

it's weird how many babymetal fans seem to be in denial about the fact that they actually like jpop

I think this is because most of these Western Babymetal fans were metal fans who discovered it via Blabbermouth or Metalsucks, and had no knowledge of J-pop before. What I gather is that a lot of these people want Babymetal to be the band that will revive a supposedly stale metal scene, and for that they need Babymetal to have "true" metal cred. Idols are pretty much the opposite of metal cred, so people like this prefer to look at Babymetal as a metal band that is bringing a completely original angle to the scene, and try to play down the fact that the stuff that appeals to them is really the idol music part of it. This has always bothered me because Babymetal was never really intended to have "serious" credibility in that community - they're totally missing the point.

• ArudoArudo

May 2015
    44 Reputation
    This is very interesting, so I'm gonna jump in

I think this is because most of these Western Babymetal fans were metal fans who discovered it via Blabbermouth or Metalsucks, and had no knowledge of J-pop before. What I gather is that a lot of these people want Babymetal to be the band that will revive a supposedly stale metal scene, and for that they need Babymetal to have "true" metal cred. Idols are pretty much the opposite of metal cred, so people like this prefer to look at Babymetal as a metal band that is bringing a completely original angle to the scene, and try to play down the fact that the stuff that appeals to them is really the idol music part of it. This has always bothered me because Babymetal was never really intended to have "serious" credibility in that community - they're totally missing the point.

This is actually me, in some way through. I never listened to japanese music before. Then Babymetal got a lot of attention in metal especific sites. And I actually thought Babymetal was a legit metal band. Then of course Google showed me more Japanese music, from X Japan to AKB48, everything was wonderful. And obviously I understood that Babymetal is not a "real" metal band. Some metal fans try their hardest to find a way to say: "I love Babymetal, but I'm not into Pop music" which is hilarious. As for me, I don't give a damn. I love metal, but honestly J-pop is just as great, at least for me.
    Now as for Idols are pretty much the opposite of metal, hum, I really don't think so. I can see a lot of similarities in metal and Idol:

• May 2015
    144 Reputation
    ^ I was thinking more of the general philosophy behind idols. Things like being manufactured by a talent agency, being heavily commercialized, and having replaceable members/graduations (where applicable) are pretty much pure evil in the eyes of the average Western metal fan, so they're the opposite of "credible" in the metal world. I agree that there are a lot of musical connections between them, which is why I never really thought that blending idols and metal was that crazy an idea. :)

• madaotw

May 2015
    11 Reputation
    I'm the one who is disappointed their music since 5D in 2013.
    I think that this single is better than last two songs, but it is still far enough to be a great one as the music before 2013.
    Durig these two years, their music style suddenly change and it is going to the "normal" way.
    Although the Videos are still interesting, no more complicated compositions, no more intense performances ,and no more beautiful melodies.
    Members have improved their singing skills and different aspects, they deserve better masterpiece.
    I hope KWKM San could understand fans' expectations, realize their bad situation, and bring the previous music style back, don't be silly, selfish and childish.

• May 2015
    93 Reputation
    They just showed the full version of Z no Chikai live (for the first time? First time I've seen it, anyways :P).
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/62560144 (At ~1:42:10)

Again with the headset mics. I wonder if they'll always be using those for this song. Seem like they'd have to change the choreography a fair bit if they used handheld mics.

• InvaderInvader

May 2015
    1737 Reputation
    ^ Thanks! That's just what I needed after 4 hours watching Eurovision :)) . I love this choreo, I don't mind them using headsets for this one if that allows them to do the choreo right.

Those tracksuits look amazing. Kanako was extra cool on this, she just get better and better at charming the camera (and killing me on the process)

• July 2015
    17 Reputation
    Being a song for the latest dragon ball movie one would assume by this point that it has been translated already. I did it anyways.

The purpose of this is to have it evaluated by someone who knows better. If you can please, correct and explain.

Any and all are free to use this as they please. credits are not necessary.

What a disgrace! It can't be happening!
    恥だ!ドジでマジたまんない!

Being calm is really irritating!
    余裕綽々が癪だ!

The guy who saved the earth has a mix reputation.
    地球を救った“あいつ”評判マチマチ

The papers, clouds, and signs are in on it.
    新聞(ニュース)と雲と図にノッちゃって

It doesn't bother me, still they say it.
    へっちゃらだよってまた言っちゃって

"Your carelessness is your weakness!" don't preach it.
    油断は大敵 そうだ!説教しなくちゃ

This requires preparation.
    (お覚悟召され)

Already the protagonist
    そもそも主役の座を

What is it you know, master! Ha!
    何とお心得ですか?先輩!(ハッ)

It's too late to be serious!
    本気出すの遅すぎ!

Because of that I'm in trouble.
    それからピンチの時

Time to skip the jokes! There's a problem! Ha!
    ギャグ飛ばすのやめてね!心配!(ハッ)

If there's a tragedy, who's brave enough?
    悲劇が起きたら 誰から“勇気”を

Shall I tell you?
    教わればいいの?

Knowing that things are
    永遠だったはずの 未来でさえも

and always will be fragile
    コワレモノと知って

people become warriors.
    人は戦士に 生まれ変わる

Tiny dreams already blooming from they're hearts...
    まずは胸に咲いた 小さな夢を

Protecting that
    守るんだね

and to have doubt is the duty of Team「Z」.
    迷うことも任務さTEAM「Z」

Charging energy in both hands.
    両手合わせ気を込める

Any moment KAME-HAME-HA!
    いつか出るぞカメハメ波

It releases sigh. One tissue goes flying.
    出るのは溜め息 飛ぶはティッシュ1枚

Didn't go like you thought.
    思い通りにはいかない

Biting nails for some reason
    ナンダカンダ爪噛んだ

When it comes to this, cheer! Let's go! Preach the 4!
    こうなりゃ応援だ!いくぞ!説教その4

This requires patients.
    (辛抱召され)

Occasionally become the target.
    たまにウケを狙って

Intentionally eat a punch? Master!
    パンチわざと食らうでしょ?先輩!(ハッ)

This is too exciting!
    あれハラハラさせすぎ!

Heart is beating so fast! Ha ha ha!
    心臓踊らせすぎ!(ハッ ハッ ハッ)

This unusual life
    規格外の人生

certainly wares you out by the weekend. Cheers! Ha!
    きっと週末は疲労 困憊(こんぱい)!(ハッ)

But nothing can remove this flighty smile from my face.
    だけど絶やさない ヤンチャな笑顔が

That's the mark of a champion.
    勇者の証ね

Those who fought for the future are called heroes
    未来守る者を HEROと呼ぶ

It's always been this way on this planet
    この星ではずっと

Things like love and wishes are passed on.
    愛や希望が 継がれてきた

Now it's my turn
    次は私の番 小さな夢を

to protect these little dreams.
    守るんだね

Wait for the morning that's beyond this night.
    闇の その先には朝が待ってる

"Why haven't you given up?"
    なぜ諦めてたんだろ?

"There's no reason to do anything."
    何もできるわけがないと

This adverse propaganda has no influence.
    信じ込んでいたよ 絶望のプロパガンダ

The song begins in great resound.
    始まりの歌が響く

The banner of 「Z」 flies in the wind.
    「Z」の旗が翻る

Alright, let's go! Our freinds are anticipating tommorow.
    さぁ行こう 仲間達が待ってる明日へ

Knowing that things are
    永遠だったはずの 未来でさえも

and always will be fragile
    コワレモノと知って

people become warriors.
    人は戦士に 生まれ変わる

Tiny dreams already blooming from they're hearts...
    まずは胸に咲いた 小さな夢を

To protect them, that
    守るんだね それが…

is the oath of 「Z」
    「Z」という 誓い…

Those who fought for the future are called heroes
    未来守る者を HEROと呼ぶ

It's always been this way on this planet
    この星ではずっと

Things like love and wishes are passed on.
    愛や希望が 継がれてきた

Now it's our turn
    次は私の番 小さな夢を

to protect these little dreams.
    守るんだね

So they aren't crushed in the darkness.
    闇に 潰されないように

Can they be protected?
    守れるかな?

We worry about that a little, but
    そのね ちょっと心配だけど

we want to protect them.
    守りたいよ

To waver in our resolve is also... the duty of TEAM「Z」
    悩み迷うことも…任務さTEAM「Z」

• July 2015
    163 Reputation
    A version that was previously posted

• July 2015
    93 Reputation

A version that was previously posted
    [...]

That's just part of the English version lyrics, not really a translation of the original lyrics. :)

• July 2015
    964 Reputation
    Music show of Japanese TV 
    CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA

• July 2015
    322 Reputation
    As a representative of a DBZ press site FUNimation is asking us to review the new movie, and as a result I now have the official lyrics to the English version of Z no Chikai (well, at least the movie version). Note that the English is not perfect, and that there are no typos. The credit for the English lyrics states they were written by EMI K. Lynn.

Dummy! Silly, really What a shame!
    Only chillin' chillin', tick me off!
    Reputation variation
    Demigod saviour, shaky shaky
    Zoomin' movin' People know ya name
    Head-Cha-La you go Wha Wha Whatcha say?
    Your attention no intention
    Dangerous! Let me holla at cha

(Listen to me now!)

Do you do you realise
    You're a star, they are watchin' you go by! (Ha!)
    Having good time all the time
    Battling Can't you get serious? (Ha Ha Ha!)
    In danger you are jokin' jokin'
    Got me worry worry and I don't know why! (Ha!)
    Tell me tell me who's our hero
    Gimme gimme strength to follow
    In the pain and sorrow

Soldiers rise up, here we go
    We gonna keep movin' on
    Forever is no more guarantee
    Tomorrow can be broken no matter what we do
    I gotta find the light of my heart
    Keep it away from the dark
    I wanna save my dream I believe
    Maybe I can find my destiny
    All I can do is try, gonna fly, cry no more
    Because we are TEAM "Z"

Hand to hand brotha set ya mind
    Might be ready Kame-Hame-Ha?
    Disappointing Irritating
    3, 2, 1 Mission incomplete
    Oh my god make you wanna cry
    Fallin' fallin' down break ya heart
    Gonna be ya cheerleader!
    Let's go! Let me holla again

(Gotta hang on now!)

By the way you take a punch
    Trying to be funny, tell me why (Ha!)
    Makin' my heart beatin' fast!
    Don't you know you are freakin' me out! (Ha Ha Ha)
    Working for the weekend
    Wonderin' what's goin' on with ya life (Ha!)
    But you always crack a smile
    Showin' Showin' you are brave
    Everybody can count on you

-Second Chorus and first part of the Bridge Omitted-

Soldiers rise up, here we go
    We gonna keep movin' on
    Forever is no more guarantee
    Tomorrow can be broken no matter what we do
    I wanna save my dream I believe...
    In the name of "Z" I'll be there...

Heros rise up, here we go
    We gonna keep movin' on
    Only one who can save tomorrow
    Together love and hope are saving us forever
    I wanna save my dream I believe
    Maybe I can find my destiny
    Finally it's my turn, gonna try
    Although I'm a little worried
    All I can do is try, cry no more
    I wanna save my dream
    Because we are... TEAM "Z"

• RevanRevan

July 2015
    230 Reputation
    momotaka said:

CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA

Gyaaaaa MOMOKAAAAAWWAAAIIIII MUOMUOKAAAAA LOVE XD

• dgmdnHDdgmdnHD

July 2015
    20 Reputation
    Nice to see the new cool choreography for CHA-LA HEAD-CHALA.

Momoka looks adorable. XD

• honkey5honkey5

July 2015
    304 Reputation

Dummy! Silly, really What a shame!

At AX i heard Dekochan sing "pera pera pera what i shey". I still laugh at that first line

• July 2015
    38 Reputation
    momotaka said:

CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA

I don't even like this song very much, but I got a kick out of the performance. Momoka!

• AzureusAzureus

August 2015
    1470 Reputation

• August 2015
    964 Reputation