[SINGLE] 10th Massugu
  • InvaderInvader

August 2016
    1737 Reputation
    In my opinion more than sounding like a Nogizaka song it's the vibe. The aesthetic of the video is more similar to that of a Nogi video (and other artists who are following the current trend). People right now are into a more "naturalistic" style, opposite to the usual bright, colorful and over the top style of idols.

I think just with the first shot of the PV we can see that Ebichu uses this naturalistic style for the video, from the color palette, the composition and the the fact that the first thing they show is grass and trees (and later on, normal clothes for the girls)

With this style Ebichu can try and engage a wider audience, but it's risky because it might end up not pleasing current fans and not being out there enough to appeal to new people.

• August 2016
    469 Reputation
    I think you're right about going for a wider audience. They could also be thinking in terms of the sales charts -- their singles place pretty highly, but this could be their shot at a weekly #1. I had the feeling they were doing that with Superhero. As long as the B-sides and album cuts still have a lot of that Ebichu craziness and variety, it could work...

I've been looking on Google, thrying to figure out what the gesture/sign system could be. most sign languages use hand/finger gestures, but what they're doing is mostly arm gestures. At first, I thought it might be Japanese semaphore, but the gestures aren't right for any version of semaphore. They look more like mime gestures or some kind of traditional (or made-up) dance gestures.

• SSFVSSFV

August 2016
    221 Reputation
    I've done some google searching too and I think only a few of their movement matches either sign language, nautical hand signalling or semaphore.
    I think it's a mix of contemporary dancing and sign language with no actual meaning. Kind of new to see from them.

I hope their new marketing or theme doesn't change how they're been treating the girls and fans.

• August 2016
    3398 Reputation
    Oh gimme a break....

They're releasing a nice song with a good-looking music video and the whole shrimp world is falling apart!!!!????

Everyone's always laudating the fact that they've been versatile in their appearances and sounds and now you're in panic?
    Chill, will ya?

• InvaderInvader

August 2016
    1737 Reputation
    I agree there's nothing to panic about with this single, this is a sound and visual style they've being playing with for a while. The only difference is that now that type of song is the A-side instead of being the B-side. In fact Superhero was already teasing that style and it was still Ebichu, as on this new single, it's still Ebichu.

The other video I was reminded of while watching Massugu was:

And that's classic Ebichu, this style has always been a part of them and one of the reasons why their fan base is so diverse.

Edit: Now that I think about it Te Wo Tsunagou (the style of the video) was ahead of it's time, It's exactly the kind of stuff that's trendy right now.
    By the way, everything I written about the song was meant as praise, if it read as complaining then I'm sorry.

• ebizoriebizori

August 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I don't think this song is alike Te wo Tsounagou and Super Hero, it's other kind of music, and I'm not a fan of Tewo... but that PV is perfect, the best of theirs. With Super Hero other thing, I enjoy song very much, but PV was too simple for me, I watched it only two times at all. And I'm not in panic))

• August 2016
    5201 Reputation

Tokyo Woman's Christian University

• August 2016
    5201 Reputation
    August 21
    Mirei blog
    http://lineblog.me/ebichu/archives/9715849.html
    We used hand signal in MV.

• InvaderInvader

August 2016
    1737 Reputation
    ebizori said:

I don't think this song is alike Te wo Tsounagou and Super Hero, it's other kind of music, and I'm not a fan of Tewo... but that PV is perfect, the best of theirs.

Yeah I'm just talking about the video when I'm comparing them. Honestly I'm too obsessed with the video to even make an analysis of the song right now haha.

Such beautiful shots:
    Spoiler:

I'm sure that if we go deep into the meaning of the PV we could come up with some crazy theories :))

• SSFVSSFV

August 2016
    221 Reputation
    I think it signifies that they're maturing on moving forward (massugu)? Their outfit, setting and PV is definitely geared more towards adulthood. It's like they're saying they're not kids anymore. Oh don't tell me they're changing to Shiritsu Ebisu Koukou since no one is in middle school anymore??????

I personally think that this song, their dancing and PV is a bit too polished.
    Don't get me wrong, that's what every director and producer should aim for right? But I've always like their organised chaos and trying hard to make it work attitude better because I feel like it fit them more since they were first marketed as very rough singing and dancing skill if I'm not wrong.

Anyway I can't find any pre-order page at Amazon JP so I guess it's not up yet.

• ebizoriebizori

August 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I agree with you. I am also afraid opportunity their rejection of anarchy

• eyelesseyeless

August 2016
    2256 Reputation
    Good song, good PV and good CD cover :)

I hope they can perform this live perfectly, they sing really high at some part of the song especially at the end

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Massugu is released!
    How are the figures looking?

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    Oricon(September 20)
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2016-09-20/
    1. 24,511 EXILE THE SECOND
    2. 18,444 JINTAKA
    3. 13,851 aiko
    5. **,*** Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku

Massugu
    1st - **,***

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    Oh, it's failure

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    The day isn't over and they haven't add up pre-orders

• September 2016
    5201 Reputation
    September 21
    Ebichu [Event] Massugu
    Setlist
    1, Kinpachi Dance Music
    2, Chichinpui
    ebiture
    3, Karikeiyaku no Cinderella
    4, Massugu

Spoiler:

Naito Runa and Yano Yuka

Tower Records Ikebukuro
    Spoiler:

HMV Ikebukuro
    Spoiler:

Tower Records Shinjuku
    Spoiler:

SHIBUYA TSUTAYA
    Spoiler:

HMV&BOOKS Shibuya
    Spoiler:

Tower Records Shibuya
    Spoiler:

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    The day is over in Japan and pre-orders makes up a very small portion of all sales. So after 49k of Super Hero less than 13k is conspicuous failure