[SINGLE] 10th Massugu
  • ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation

Shaking hands to sell singles is easy. Anybody can do it, all you have to do is line up and put on a fake smile for a few hours at a time.

2shots is not the same as handshakes, it can be a quite creative thing. there are a lot of interesting and funny photos

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1424 Reputation

But that's the point. She IS an idol who knows how showbiz works. And not a normal teen who no one cares about except parents if he/she gets drunk.
    Those comparisons simply fail.
    Aside from the fact that she's almost 19 and hardly a little girl anymore

Mirei's my favorite member by miles. But here she made a really big blunder.

And She IS a human girl with 18 years old that can make small errors like this.

I understand that the idol world is different from Western artists, but I also think we should not forget that these idols when they come down the stage are normal people, might have to consider whether the problem is that they don't entitled to have privacy in their daily life .

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation

Shaking hands to sell singles is easy. Anybody can do it, all you have to do is line up and put on a fake smile for a few hours at a time.

And how many people will come to it and pay their money?

You forget that handshake events are already a consequence of pre-promotion of personalities. It takes a lot of preliminary hard work in the actor, emotional and other aspects to sell good yourself on it. And the fact that they are able to do concerts at the highest levels of emotion and energy they prove already more than 5 years of their full dedication on them

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation

But you can't expect to make a significant PROFIT from doing that. The direct sales are enough to keep producing music, but you have to sell your act indirectly, to make money. It can be through silly "handshake events", or other tricks Lurkette described in detail, or it can be by improving your ability to put on a show in front of a live audience, and selling tickets. So that's what it will come down to: will Ebichu follow MCZ's example, and spend their time improving the quality of their live performances, or will they go back to spending their time shaking hands and taking photos with fans.

Sorry I don't know much about Momoclo.
    So Momoclo don't have any gimmick like HS, lucky winner item autograph, etc etc for whoever bought their new singles?

Management doesn't say anything so I don't get why Mirei should be blame over the lack of sales for this single....yet. Even if the scandal is true, that doesn't necessarily deter people from buying their singles. I'm sure fans know other girls livelihood depend on the fans' support on the whole group and not just Mirei's alone. After all, the group always does thing together with everyone always sharing the spotlight.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I don't remember 2shots or handshakes of Momoclo, it seems only in beginning it was

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    I just want to add that while it is by no means certain that the scandal is the direct cause for Massugu's failure to do well on the charts, and that therefore Mirei should be blamed. I mean, yes, it looks almost too coincidental, but maybe it is just that - a coincidence. As others have pointed to a lack of promotion, it seems to make sense to assume that has to do with it as well. Most likely it's a combination of factors. It's always hard to compare sales figures of one single with those of past singles (Superhero, Natsu Daze etc), simply because so many things have changed since they released them.

What would be interesting is if a poll among buyers of some of their better selling singles (Superhero and Haitateki or something) was to be organized. Then we could know for certain why a large portion of those people did not buy Massugu. But of course, this isn't really doable.

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1424 Reputation
    I understand that one thing led to another, because of the scandal is likely that some TV programs have not wanted their presence, apparently this is not the first case in the idol world.

However I am against.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    vimoral said:

And She IS a human girl with 18 years old that can make small errors like this.
    I understand that the idol world is different from Western artists, but I also think we should not forget that these idols when they come down the stage are normal people, might have to consider whether the problem is that they don't entitled to have privacy in their daily life .

No one's denying that. When someone breaks the law however privacy is over.
    In her surrounding it is not just a small error. It is a big error.
    One however that would not shake the world. Not even in Japan.
    No one is expecting her to be crucified.
    But it might have been wiser to address that, make her admit the mistake and send her off on a series of social workings or whatever. Turn the bad into something good.
    Simply ignoring the fact that she broke the law is well... brave. Lol
    And as I said I think the lack of TV exposure has probably been linked to that. And that in return had some influence on the sales.

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    SSFV said:

Sorry I don't know much about Momoclo.
    So Momoclo don't have any gimmick like HS, lucky winner item autograph, etc etc for whoever bought their new singles?

I'm sure MCZ employs all kinds of marketing strategies to sell singles. But that's irrelevant. What's relevant is that MCZ doesn't disguise personal time spent with fans as product sales.

Giving a lucky winner an autograph is not the same as giving someone personal interaction with the talent, in exchange for buying multiple copies of the same product.

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    ebizori said:

And how many people will come to it and pay their money?

I don't have a scientific answer to that question, but this drop in sales is a strong indication that the answer is: several times more than there are willing to just be satisfied with buying the CD, and listening to the songs, without personally interacting with the teenage girls who sing those songs.

And still: the key to long term success in the Japanese music business is to try and appeal to people who are interested in the music rather than the personal interaction. If you look at artists who rely on personal interaction, they spend a couple of years in showbiz, and then they're done. As an ex Momusu fan, I learned this the hard way. The only ones who succeed in the long term are the ones who are able to get people interested in the music itself.

Kwkm knows this. That's why MCZ haven't tried to sell stuff by personally interacting with fans, in years. They're aiming to be successful in the long term, not just right away. The way to do that is by focusing on improving the product, not the sales process. Ebichu's managers need to learn from that (and they seem to have learned from it, judging by this shift in marketing).

AND I KNOW THIS: that's why is stopped caring about Momusu, and got into bands like MCZ, Babymetal, etc: because I want to care about things that have a chance to last (I'm not even looking for guarantees...I know there's no guarantee that MCZ will last forever, but at least there's a chance...the members of Momusu will be replaced in a few years, no matter what).

P.S. if you're willing to look at talent as a disposable resource, like AKB or H!P management does, then none of this applies: you can build a long term business strategy on signing and then getting rid of teenage girls, in a never ending cycle, just fine. But that doesn't seem like the Stardust way of doing business. I know Ebichu has had some changes in their lineup, but I'm still hopeful that they're not aiming to become an AKB clone.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    You propose to turn the idol group in a just musical group

• September 2016
    88 Reputation
    I just feel like (scandal aside) there just wasn't enough promotion for this single. I myself forgot it was even coming. It came around so quick and there was no TV appearances, or any magazine promos or anything like normal really. I'm not really sure why and I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Mirei, but I think it definitely had an effect on sales.

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    editing error....sorry.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    they will not be AKB clone. noway)

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    ebizori said:

You propose to turn the idol group in a just musical group

No, I don't. MCZ don't just do music. They also act, do variety shows, and they even do politics (yes, showing up in a disaster zone and hugging little kids is a form of politics).

What they DO NOT DO is disguise personal, one on one interaction with fans, as a sale of those products. In other words, they don't lie for the sake of being perceived as more successful than they really are.

And that doesn't make them any less of an idol group. It just makes them an honest idol group, who's management team has their long term interest at heart.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    But I don't mind substitutions in the group, if it required. The main thing that new members must be not less talented. Sakura Ebi's members does'nt suit me yet as a possible members

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    ebizori said:

But I don't mind substitutions in the group, if it required. The main thing that new members must be not less talented.

I would stop being a fan of MCZ the second ANY member got replaced against their will. But I understand your point of view as well...as long as the changes aren't automatic, like they are in AKB. I could never condone something like that. I think it's pure evil.

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Wow! Momoclo sounds really impressive!
    I remembered that they held a concert at Japan's largest capacity venue right? And the first girl group to do so and that is really amazing.

Actually I don't watch Momoclo performance except for collab with Ebichu like in Ore no Fuji. They were really good despite me never seen them perform before. I think Ebichu could follow their style but to management, it's a huge loss. Ebichu has 8 members, that means more budget need to be expense at them. I don't think management will do this again. Their best album is coming out in a short while so let's see what strategy management had in mind.

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    Just here to point out that you can be an amazing performer with brilliant songs and still have low sales. One does not exclude the other.

Momoclo being as successful as they are is on of those cases were planets align, the right thing at the right time. No matter how much we try to get to the bottom of their success we won't be able to reproduce it. In my opinion not even kawakami could reproduce it if he wanted :))

What I mean is that Ebichu ARE great performers with a discography a lot of idols would kill for. The fact that they didn't sell as much this time doesn't mean the girls aren't doing a great job when they give concerts, have stage plays, their solo work...

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, just a thought I have. In my opinions idols can be just as great whether they sell a lot, don't sell a thing, with handshakes, without handshakes, with fixed members, with changing members.... To me the beauty of the idol world is diversity, not all idol groups need to do the same thing.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    SSFV said:

Wow! Momoclo sounds really impressive!
    I remembered that they held a concert at Japan's largest capacity venue right? And the first girl group to do so and that is really amazing.

Momoclo is the only one female group who held three concerts at Nissan Stadium, the largest venue of Japan

Well, Ebichu was the youngest group that had a solo concert at Saitama Super Arena (on 2013)

hehe))))