[SINGLE] 10th Massugu
  • vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1424 Reputation
    ^ Yes, and I don't understand this, I don't really think it's a bad sinlge. Why do you think that sales have been so low?

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    light rotation of song, no appearance in the music telecast still

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Perhaps most fans don't like this kind of image from Ebichu??

• eyelesseyeless

September 2016
    2256 Reputation
    Momomofu have said before, ebichu wont have 2 shot event etc which why it's low

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1424 Reputation
    I do not know ... I understand that these factors can make that the sell be something less, but we are talking about this are their worst sales since they made majors.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    Сertainly not worse, but on the level of Karikeiyaku no Cinderella and Go!Go!/Otona wa... (19-20k for the first week)

I hope for a good day tomorrow, may be 25-30k for the week it will made

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    It's not a bad single, but as others have noted perhaps not a song that we've come to expect from Ebichu. The B-side songs are also somewhat disappointing, although I do enjoy the fourth song (though I do not remember its title, embarrasingly). Whichever way you look at it, these sales figures are very disappointing as well.

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    As it has been said before, they aren't having a 2shot event so the sales weren't going to be that high anyway. Of course the song being less catchy and the lack of promotion also play a part.

I hope somebody uploads it soon since I still have to wait 15 days for my copies to arrive.

• eyelesseyeless

September 2016
    2256 Reputation
    event tickets included in CD for female idol group play the biggest part in sales, not the quality of the single it self or any performances on tv show. AKB48 have 300 girls doing handshake each time they release a single, they can sell million no matter the quality of their song.

Momoclo on their peak can sell 70k single and 200k album without any event ticket, that's because they're way more popular than any stardust group and arguably the closest to AKB48. Babymetal is another example.

Imo, Massugu is a good single, but without event tickets, sales will be very low. It needs Momoclo or Babymetal popularity to pull off no event ticket and still sell well.

• SSFVSSFV

September 2016
    221 Reputation
    Wow a bit sad.
    But to be honest I didn't really like this kind of image of Ebichu.
    Super Hero was all right because they still have the concept of fantasy/silliness.
    This one is just a bit too adult like.
    If fans say they didn't like this kind of Ebichu, I can relate.

My set copy is arriving on Friday wheeee~

• vimoralvimoral

September 2016
    1424 Reputation
    I guess you are right, but it's a shame not to do 2shot event because this week the number one has only sold 25k, Ebichu easily could have achieved the top spot

• September 2016
    242 Reputation
    SSFV said:

Wow a bit sad.
    But to be honest I didn't really like this kind of image of Ebichu.
    Super Hero was all right because they still have the concept of fantasy/silliness.
    This one is just a bit too adult like.
    If fans say they didn't like this kind of Ebichu, I can relate.

Yeah, I agree. I like the silliness, the sheer abundance of energy that their songs and performances give off. This single doesn't have any of that. It sounds a bit like something of Hakkin No Yoake, I guess.

• ebizoriebizori

September 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I love Summer Dejavu, in Massugu I enjoy Mayama's parts.

• September 2016
    75 Reputation
    Ebichu could have taken #1 for the first time. I was routing soo hard for them for the last 4 years. To say this was a missed opportunity would be an incredible understatement. Add to that, those 1st day sales are piss poor, considering their last run of singles, probably less than a quarter of Super Hero. How did it go this so wrong? You gotta wonder.

Now to be perfectly honest, I didn't really like this new single very much. Maybe I am stuck on their old image. But as a fan I would have bought Massugu anyway to add to my vast collection spanning several shelves of Ebichu and MomoClo cds / blurays.

I don't know, maybe its the economy too? Times are tough. How is the rest of the industry doing? I said above that I would have bought this single, this is actually the first time I didn't buy. On top of that, unfortunately I've been forced to sell off some of my collection. I don't want to talk about it, its too sad, just PM me if you want to make a deal for something.

• InvaderInvader

September 2016
    1737 Reputation
    In my opinion it comes to:
    Sales are low because they won't do 2shot event this time --> as far as I know they aren't doing it because of the members health (Hinata, Kaho)

I rather have them healthy than being #1.

I haven't listened to the single yet, but even if it's not as good as the previous ones there's no reason to panic. They've being having very consistent high quality single/album releases, so a bump on the road at some point was bound to happen.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I'm no expert here by any means but are those fan events like 2shots really that important?
    They are held in a few bigger cities, and even there not all fans by a long shot are able to attend
    Let alone all those fans in the big country of Japan without even a remote chance to get to one

The total lack of TV or even radio promotion is far more puzzling to me
    I can understand NHK keeping a distance but it's not only them

I like the song a lot. It's certainly different but diversity isn't the end of the world.
    Neither is a single once in a while that doesn't sell that great. Happens to every artist.

• September 2016
    449 Reputation

I'm no expert here by any means but are those fan events like 2shots really that important?

Yes.

Assume you want to get a 2-shot with every member, as this is not uncommon. To get one 2-shot ticket, you have to buy a box of 3 singles, times 8, you now have one person buying 24 singles, when they would have otherwise only had reason to purchase maybe 3 for all the B-sides. Now, assume you want a picture with every member in each different outfit they plan to do for the 2-shots (you'll notice they often say in advance which costumes are going to be used when, for this very reason). Now you've bought at least 48 copies of the single, if not more for additional events. Even assuming you only have 100 fans who are willing to buy that much, and maybe 1000 fans who will buy 3 copies apiece for all the songs and maybe one 2-shot with their fave, and 5000 casuals who will buy one copy, that's 12,800, but that's still an almost 40% increase than what you'd have if those 100 fans weren't encouraged to buy in bulk. Considering Ebichu can sell out arenas at this stage, they certainly have more than 1000 people willing buy all 3 copies and more than 100 who would be willing to bulk buy in exchange for tokuten like a 2-shot. Without such incentives, the only motivation is to see them chart highly, and that's kind of arbitrary and not really worth fighting for with your wallet.

To put things in perspective, when Soundscan still made public reports about Japanese singles, AKB's regular versions (aka the ones that don't provide high incentives like handshake events or 2-shots) sold around 100k at their peak. Throw in the theater editions and the limited editions, both of which are heavily incentivized, and suddenly you're up to 1 million or more for Oricon. They wouldn't sell that much without the careful branding and development of the fans' relationship with the group, so it's not as though anyone can do it, but the same happened to Morning Musume. They didn't do incentives, and then they did, and they went from selling 25k-30k to selling 85k-100k almost overnight. It's not a coincidence with them, and it's likely not a coincidence here.

But watch them spring back up tomorrow with double what they had today. There's no telling.

• September 2016
    3398 Reputation
    I understand.
    So in other words it doesn't really mean crap when it comes to real popularity but rather the willingness of a certain number of fans to pay through their nose :)

But isn't this something done mostly by idol units (and not all of them)?
    And not something done by Ebichu in the past?

So how would that relate to sales rankings of artists like aiko (or their own past singles)?

• September 2016
    449 Reputation
    Pretty much, yes.

Ebichu has always done it, as far as I can remember. Even in their indie days I think they were still doing 2-shots, or at least since their major debut (see some very old 2-shots here).

Some artists do tokuten, but not many. Artist sales have slowly decreased over the past 15 years, even if their popularity is more or less the same. It's really only idols keeping the physical music market afloat, and it's primarily because they incentivize mass purchases. It's also why you see no-name indie idols land in the top 10 on Oricon charts pretty much every day/week, beating out older and more prestigious artists just because they have a bunch of fans with a bunch of income devoted to that idol group.

• September 2016
    372 Reputation
    What about Arashi and Exile? Their sales are pretty close to AKB, every year. Do they also incentivize multiple sales, and how?