General Discussion
  • August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    asan said:

Speaking of... afaik, they are pretty much absent from the major festivals this year :( apart from being an opening act (come on...) at Inazumarock, Animelo and minor stuff that is.
    Looking back, Momoclo playing side by side with Hormone and sorts was just great imho.

Well they are on Banpaku again this year, aren't they?

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    Reni looks cute with her hair like that.

So what is Momoclo's major source of revenue at this point even? They've put out, what, two singles this year? And they didn't burn up the charts. They seem to be playing fewer festivals. They need to break out of their slump. :-S

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    They have 4 2 stadium concert (4 days) this year and release at least 4 dvd/bluray. Concerts are they main source of revenue, not cd. And Momoclo have the most expensive concert ticket price for female idol

• August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    Lol. A little bit exaggerated, isn't it?
    You want them to release a single every two months? Aside from which CD sales are probably the least important factor when it comes to revenue

• August 2014
    644 Reputation

You want them to release a single every two months? Aside from which CD sales are probably the least important factor when it comes to revenue

Kawakami-san made it a point to not copy the 48s by releasing a new single every 2 months. Quality over quantity.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    and that is a very good thing! If you ask me Momoclo is and was always about their lives! And about not being your standard idol group (Super Sentai image, trash culture, wrestling etc.). Just hope they don't loose that in favor of sheer revenue in mind. That's what I fear a tiny bit at this point to be honest.

So, please do what you do best Kawakami-san ;)

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I will also add merchandise to concerts and Blu-rays as a source for their revenue. I think Cd sales aren't that important, it's just a way to put new music out... So they have more songs to perform at concerts :))

No wonder their concert tickets are the most expensive amongst idols, no other idol comes even close to the kind of show they put out.

• zombrex

August 2014
    42 Reputation
    You can bet they are making Stardust big money with all the paid endorsement they are doing of various products.

• OM617OM617

August 2014
    176 Reputation

http://www.projecthello.com/berryz/
    In 10 years Berryz Kōbō did 35 singles and 9 albums. Momoclo is at 6 years with 12 singles (technically 14 with Momoclo Tei Ichimon and Twinkle5) and 4 albums. They are pretty well on track for their group size.

• August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    And their two singles this year reached #1 and 3 on Oricon if I remember correctly.
    They are going to appear on Kishidan Banpaku, Girls Factory and Animelo (aside from the four gigantic stadium concerts this year)
    They've just been on FNS Natsu Matsuri and will be at Kouhaku again I'm sure
    They are the token Sailor Moon singers at the moment.
    The Momoclo Ustream won first prize again

Not too bad for a slump :)

• August 2014
    79 Reputation
    Not to mention they just been picked up for a new show about learning the guitar. Theyve also been appearing on variety alot lately.
    You cant base their success on singles since thats not their main selling point lol if it was theyd be putting out like 10 different editions and have handshake events, etc like other idols/ artist. Imo their singles still sell well without all the extra bonuses that usually goes into single releases.

They ranked top 5 in a poll asking who's concert would you like to attend with the likes of arashi, smap, one rock ok, and b'z. As well as they been doing this year idk how a slump even crossed ones mind. If its about not performing at big festivals, maybe they just dont have the time to do them. Or maybe its just not managements priority right now.

• August 2014
    262 Reputation

Not to mention they just been picked up for a new show about learning the guitar.

Okay, I really want to see this. Should be interesting seeing Momoka try to even hold one.

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    ^ unrelated to what we are talking about but related to Momoka's hands:

I was watching the subtitled episodes of Momoclo-Chan and it killed me when she tried to hold the basket ball with one hand, her hands are so small and chubby it's really cute.

Also it was so funny when she said something like: "They told us to watch our heads but I can't even reach" =)) That's going to go on her tombstone.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation

And their two singles this year reached #1 and 3 on Oricon if I remember correctly.
    They are going to appear on Kishidan Banpaku, Girls Factory and Animelo (aside from the four gigantic stadium concerts this year)
    They've just been on FNS Natsu Matsuri and will be at Kouhaku again I'm sure
    They are the token Sailor Moon singers at the moment.
    The Momoclo Ustream won first prize again

Not too bad for a slump :)

May I add "Winner of MTV Europe Music Award 2013 for best Japanese Act" ;)

Well, even though there is nothing new to me here....it's really kind of nice and reassuring to read the list :)
    so thanks (^_°)
    Still like mentioned before, just hope they don't loose their non-standard idol image in favor of $ at some point.
    Then again, don't think Kawakami would let that happen so easily...

• August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    I don't think that will happen as THAT would mean a loss in revenue I think.
    They hardly couldn't compete with the likes of AKB on a standard idol level.
    And the mononofu wouldn't accept it either I'm sure.
    If the girls are one third of the success and Kawakami the second then the fans undoubtedly are the missing piece in the triple crown :)

• August 2014
    904 Reputation
    Well MomoClo isn't our "standard idol" considering how they're being managed and how they're being promoted. Seasonal concerts where ideas keep getting bigger and bigger each year, tours for singles or albums if time allows, tv promotions, appearances at music festivals. It all depends on how concepts are applied and they surely know how to apply Kawakami's ideas with their chemistry with one another, to staff and towards the fans.
    but the girls are pretty careful on choices despite the oshiri trend going on for the past week (then again, it's Reni so surely they got permission ahead of time like Kouhaku). And Kawakami knows how to take care of them and keep them in line so they don't go too far. and then there's the fanbase, the continuously growing or changing fanbase that spreads out information from news, lives or other fans nonstop and also spread out their support. No doubt that will bring the girls' success in a unique way. Same for their sister groups :D

• August 2014
    38 Reputation

just hope they don't loose their non-standard idol image in favor of $ at some point.

I fear they are already losing that left-field quirkiness in favor of mainstream success. They have achieved all their goals as a group and are now on a plateau. There is nothing left for them to do except continue growing their audience, and they can only do that by toning down their oddball image. I can see it happening, and I can see the girls attitudes and personalities changing now that they have reached the top of the idol world. They are big stars, and they are starting to act like big stars. That's sad to me.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation

They are big stars, and they are starting to act like big stars. That's sad to me.

You need to show us how are they acting like a big star :)

• August 2014
    60 Reputation

I don't think that will happen as THAT would mean a loss in revenue I think.

That's a little bit hard to say actually imo. On the one hand I'm with you on that, since they have a somhow different fanbase (more focused on concerts than idol-ism). On the other hand, the most money is (sadly) almost always made out of mainstream and everybody now knows their name, but not all know their image to a full extend so it would probably work I think.
    Still knowing his background don't think Kawakami would want to go that route.

I fear they are already losing that left-field quirkiness in favor of mainstream success. They have achieved all their goals as a group and are now on a plateau. There is nothing left for them to do except continue growing their audience, and they can only do that by toning down their oddball image. I can see it happening, and I can see the girls attitudes and personalities changing now that they have reached the top of the idol world. They are big stars, and they are starting to act like big stars. That's sad to me.

Do I agree with you here? well yes, to some extend I do. Especially when seeing Babymetal for example just skyrocketing at the moment with their really odd and awesome thing they do and getting more and more support from the "Big ones" of the Festival-scene. (and yes I know they're not the same, but they do share a traget fanbase to a big extend somehow).
    Like mentioned before, a part of me does fear the same, since they have become pretty big and achieved so much lately. Also I do think their really odd image has been turned down a bit over the last 2 years or so...not by a lot, but it has. One part is I think the music has become quite a bit more "normal", more endorsements and girls being promoted more as individuals occasionally, which is understandable somehow.
    The other part, and that brings me to the 2nd half of your post, they have grown up by now with 2 of them being 20+ now, so of course their personalities change I think. And yes, they are big stars now. But do they act like it? No, I don't really think so, especially not for idols ;) (see GirlsFactory - Reni's "backside" - would like to see xxx48 do something like that, Momoclo-chan etc.). Yes they have grown older, but still are quite nuts a lot of times. Also they still do care a lot and get emotional at big shows, as seen live at this years Bakasawagi, which is important I think. Don't think they take everything as granted.

So, bottom line, at least for me, the music needs a bit of new wind in the WTF direction, other than that it's hard to say I think. We'll see :)
    Still King of Live! King of WTF...well...not SO much anymore I think.
    EDIT: Generally, for me, I think a little bit of "back to their roots" could not hurt. Trash-wrestling-superhero, smaller and more personal concerts (Chibi, Onna and even to some extend Momokuri are a good thing I think). Strengthening their oddball core-fanbase so to say, which is the most important thing in the long run I think.
    But, thats just my opinion, others may think different, which is also OK of course!
    As long as it's fun, and it still is - lots of it, and as long as they have fun doing their thing, all should be well :)

• Paco

August 2014
    331 Reputation
    @kurisu27

I am totally with you here.

And I am not an xxx48-Fan, but:
    "would like to see xxx48 do something like that", it isn't the same, but ...
    Spoiler:

;)