General Discussion
  • August 2014
    262 Reputation
    And that's kind of what I was getting at in the first place. I'm glad they're doing well popularity-wise and all that. But I mean I'm primarily a music fan, and Stardust groups have some of the strongest and most unique songwriting in the genre.

After Moon Pride came out it kind of hit me that MomoClo have had 3 average-to-good singles in a row, but nothing on the level of what they were doing even a year ago. Marty Friedman came back, but Moon Pride doesn't even come close to Mugen no Ai.

I don't want them to just dump out singles every two months, I'm just itching for some music that really grabs me.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    ^
    Opinions may of course vary here about the singles depending on personal taste, but as for me, yes, I'm pretty much completely on your side here!
    I'd say even more than a music fan I'm a "Live Concert experience fan" (if that makes sense) and the composers Stardust used combined with the girl's performances is a killer package. And it's still the old hyper songs that get the people the most in a Live!
    The last ones were all good, Moon Pride (with Friedman bonus) being maybe the best since GOUNN (and even GOUNN is way behind the mighty Saraba), but it just ain't "Space-Metal-Pirates riding through space on bicycles" ;)

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    One thing that's bothering about the new releases is that there's barely/no fan-chants. Where do fan-chants come from anyway? Are they provided? (I know they do provide them in KPOP)

Sometimes their newer songs are a little awkward during lives because there is less interactions and fans aren't screaming their guts out. Then an older song with fanchants comes and the place explodes.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    It happens to almost all idol groups, when a group still small, they had a small hardcore fandom which can easily coordinated and fans can create more complex chant. But when they're getting bigger, with more casual fans, it's getting harder to coordinate and just go with simple urya oi :)

For example stardust groups, Takoniji have their own mix, but a bigger group like ebichu only have urya oi for their new songs

• Paco

August 2014
    331 Reputation
    ^maybe I am wrong, but it seems that some compositions are more suitable for chants (they seem to be composed in the way that there is "space" for the chants) than other. The newer ones seem to me not as suitable as the older ones.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    Some songs like Naitemo Iindayo does seem imposible for chants, but I think moon pride has a lot of space :)

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I would just insanely chant their names each time anyone has a solo :)) . It's just that some songs sound sooo empty without chants. I think I realized it with some of the songs from the 5th dimension album while they sang them on Haru no ichidaiji 2013. It gives you the sensation that people hate the song and are just waiting for some of the older stuff.

I know is not that they hate it, but it feels weird.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    totally agree about the chants and stuff. Act x Fan interaction is the most important thing I think. Always thought about Momoclo not being 5 members but 6 with the Mononofu!
    EDIT: or 7 earlier on of course!

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    That's part of why it's a shame that Hyadain doesn't really work with Stardust anymore. That guy's songs work insanely well in a live setting. He and Narasaki, who has also been kind of absent lately.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    ^
    Hyadain wrote songs for Tacoyaki Rainbow, so he still work with stardust group.

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    That's good news. MomoClo's management need to make up with him, then, and get him back in the writing stable. It would be a good balance to the more subdued newer stuff.

• August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    Girls Factory Day 1
    http://www.miomio.tv/watch/cc90528/
    Can't really get the video working in my browser. But it has downloaded without a problem, so it's there.
    Very LQ though as you can see from the caps so I'll wait with an upload until hopefully soon a HQ version comes along

image image
    Spoiler:
    image image
    image image
    image image

Today we had miwaclo and MomoiroSCANDAL plus a finale featuring our girls armed with guitars :)
    The big Stardust event is on Day 2

• August 2014
    644 Reputation
    Fan chants are all created by fans, and as such the older songs definitely will have more participation than newer songs simply because they've been around and established. As each new song debuts, it takes a bit of time for chants to be created and integrated into the fan community. Of course, some songs aren't really conducive to fan chants. Doudou Heiwa Sengen is a prime example. They performed it only a few times since release, and the arrangement doesn't really allow for any of the usual fan chanting. The 5th Dimension tracks experienced the same thing. Fan chants also spread via osmosis through a crowd.

K-pop fan chants are initially created by a small group of fans and are showcased during artist comebacks, and it's interesting to note how, for example, with Girls' Generation, most of the Japanese audience can do the Korean chants, but the chants for Japanese songs are almost non-existent. A good example is Mr. Taxi, where it was released in Japan first, had pretty much no fan chant, got a Korean version and instantly had one that is now used at concerts in Japan. The Japanese fans have tried making their own chants for Japan exclusive songs, but it's just not the same kind of oomph compared to the established Korean ones.

• August 2014
    38 Reputation

You need to show us how are they acting like a big star

Welllllllll....I can't point to anything specific. I just have a vague feeling that since the National Olympic Stadium shows, the girls are starting to take their fame and success for granted, as if they now expect nothing less. Just a feeling I get from watching recent videos. I would like to be totally wrong, of course.

yes, they are big stars now. But do they act like it? No, I don't really think so, especially not for idols. ... Also they still do care a lot and get emotional at big shows, as seen live at this years Bakasawagi, which is important I think. Don't think they take everything as granted.

Maybe I'm just not paying as close attention to them as I did a couple of years ago, (before Babymetal stole my heart!) when Momoclo were still fighting their way to the top. The intense appreciation and gratitude they had toward their fans was so obvious and visible then. Getting "back to their roots" and reconnecting with their core fanbase with smaller concerts is an excellent idea. As exciting and spectacular as the stadium shows are, it's easy to forget from the stage that the massive ocean of swaying glow sticks out there is made up of individual people; and without their support and investment in the group, the girls would not be where they are now.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation

Welllllllll....I can't point to anything specific. I just have a vague feeling that since the National Olympic Stadium shows, the girls are starting to take their fame and success for granted, as if they now expect nothing less. Just a feeling I get from watching recent videos. I would like to be totally wrong, of course.

Maybe I'm just not paying as close attention to them as I did a couple of years ago, (before Babymetal stole my heart!) when Momoclo were still fighting their way to the top. The intense appreciation and gratitude they had toward their fans was so obvious and visible then. Getting "back to their roots" and reconnecting with their core fanbase with smaller concerts is an excellent idea. As exciting and spectacular as the stadium shows are, it's easy to forget from the stage that the massive ocean of swaying glow sticks out there is made up of individual people; and without their support and investment in the group, the girls would not be where they are now.

Eventually, that will happen. When a group is reaching the top, everything will get less personal, less connected etc. Momoclo still handle this popularity better than some other group, I can only say this :)

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    true, for the shear amount of popularity they have right now they do pretty good I think. Take the Momoclo-Chan event for example, which was nice and personal. Of course they know they aren't nobody anymore, but I don't get so much the impression of them getting more and more snobby on basis of their fame. Think one key part is still them just getting older and grown-up resulting in stronger personalities with more depth. Easy to forget that they aren't just girls anymore. :)

• Paco

August 2014
    331 Reputation

Fan chants are all created by fans, and as such the older songs definitely will have more participation than newer songs simply because they've been around and established.

Yes. But ... I am thinking about this since years. Maybe I am wrong. But I think that composers like Hyadain and Tsunku are composing the songs very often in a way that is "leading" the chants (you can see that extreamly by the older Momoclo songs, Nippon Banzai for example).

Spoiler:
    For Tsunku: One of the best Morning Musume songs (Egao Yes Nudo) isn't composed that way; maybe that is a reason why it isn't played very often in concerts ... Ebichu "Butterfly Effect" is another song without the "space" and ... what is the name ... this Vampire song by Ebichu, too. On the other hand, Hyadain's songs for Dempagumi.inc have this "spaces" - or this little pearl in the slow parts:

(even the hand gestures are showing when to shout ...)
    I have seen a few weeks ago a short concert by OSAKA SHUNKASHUTO; most of the time cover versions by western singers. And the audience had no idea what they should do, because in the western songs there were no "spaces" for chants. It wasn't like an idol concert it was more like a "normal concert" with no live music ...
    Okay, that are only my thoughts and part of my strange idol theory ...

• August 2014
    62 Reputation
    Guys, I think you take the spectacle too seriously. The script must be leaving little space for the girls to show their actual attitudes. I mean, if they act like big stars now then it is most likely means the management wants them to do so. But even if their attitude is indeed like this, honestly, you can't judge them. They are all professionals at a very stressful job. You probably know from own experience that after years of work experience people tend to get more or less cynical or even bitter about what they're doing. Now look, say, at Aarin who has more than 10 years in show business under her belt. Of course, she knows that now is the time when all her decade-long investments are getting repaid. If these fame and recognition were a career goal, why should't she be proud of it? And why shouldn't show this proudness not to entertain the fans (like all those obviously scripted crying scenes in Momokuri 2013), but just because it is there? I think I am totally okay with this.

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation
    I'd just like to put my two cents in.
    On the whole, I agree that Momoclo's songs aren't really "chantable" like they were in the old days.
    However, I don't exactly think this is a bad thing.
    (Edit: I guess I should clarify that I love the chants, and also agree that Mononofu are a big part of what makes the concerts special. I just think it's ok to have some songs that aren't as well suited for chanting)

I have never really liked Idols, and Momoclo is pretty much the first time in my life that I've ever "fanned" a group so hard.
    However, putting Momoclo's characters,backstories, and image aside, one of the main reasons I like them so much is because of their musical diversity.

How many groups out there can you say have done ballads, hard rock, metal, drum & bass, dubstep, punk, hip-hop, pop techno, folk, etc etc (and with all of them being high-quality)
    Heck, if we include the solo songs then we can also include funk, surf rock, enka, city pop, and so on.
    I appreciate that they don't just stagnate with one particular image and strive to branch out to other areas.

Are Hyadain's songs good? Absolutely, but you cannot deny that his songs have a particular feel and sound to them that becomes more apparent the more you listen to them.
    Don't get me wrong I love his works (2 of my top5 and 4 of my top15 Momoclo songs are made by him), but it's nice that Momoclo have pursued other collaborations.

We have to remember that Momoclo have all grown up. They aren't the same mid-school/high schoolers that they were when Hyadain was still with them.
    Besides the fact that they have matured as a person and an artist, you can't really expect them to do keep doing crazy stuff like Coconuts or Kaito Shoujo -- their body won't keep up forever.

And this is evidenced by the direction Momoclo has been going these few years: more emphasis on singing ability, more technically difficult songs, holding special concerts where they don't dance at all, etc. Heck, this past month we've just got news that their new monthly show will feature them learning to play the guitar, which is about as far from jumping and dancing around as you can get.

I guess a lot of people view Momoclo as that wacky group with insane energy and crazy fun, and that's fine. I love their energy as much as the next person, and I personally feel they still retain that in them, it's just that they developed other traits too, so you don't see it 24/7 now.

However, I am more pleased with the fact that we are able to witness the growth, maturity, and evolution of Momoclo firsthand, both as individuals and as artists. To me Momoclo was never just about the energy and craziness, but more about that they were willing to do what was needed of them, in pursue of a dream or goal.

If you don't care for all that and really just want the craziness/energy, I think they've passed down that trait to their sister groups pretty well, so maybe check them out instead :D

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation
    Regarding their supposed "attitudes," I am also of the opinion that this is simply a sign of maturity.

I mean let's be honest here, these girls are already a major player in the Japanese market, and they should act accordingly. Personally I would feel patronized if they still acted like they were nobodies. Being open and having heartfelt moments with fans is great and all, but it should be for special occasions, not at every single event.

I would look more into their relationship with the working staff (both their own staff and other staff) as proof whether they have become "air-headed" or not.

They still do lot's of stuff that's not required of them just to increase interaction. They recently filmed their first Momoclo Chan in front of a live audience. They still do 24h live-stream events as well as random simi-vlogs. They're slated to perform at an event in Sendai free of charge in the name of charity.

I also wish for more mini-concerts where the interaction is closer, but taking a look at Momoclo's schedule I think they're already overworked. These past few days of FNS, Lady Gaga Opening, two days of Girls Factory, etc is really taking a toll on the girl's vocal health. As much as I want to see more of them, I think health should be the top priority.

And just for the record, I don't think the Momokuri 2013 thing was scripted. Their manager has a long history of giving them surprise announcements, so why stop now? Not to mention the girls were such a crying mess they couldn't even sing the next few songs properly. If this was scripted, then they have some great A+ acting skills.