General Discussion
  • August 2014
    60 Reputation
    ^

+1 to all of the above 2 posts!!!
    (could not have said it any better, kudos to you Mr. Mav!)

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I think what bothers me a bit it's not that they don't make songs as crazy as before... It's more like their songs used to be waaaaay better than any other idol. Now I don't feel like what they're releasing is super impressive. It's been a while since one of their songs gave me the feeling of "this is the best song ever".

Don't get me wrong I love GOUNN, MOON PRIDE and all of that, but I feel it's missing something special.

For me it used to be Momoclo>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

Now I feel more Momoclo>Ebichu>Babymetal>>>>dempagumi.inc or whatever other group you like.

For example with Ebichu I don't feel is the crazyness that attracts me, it's some "x" factor that I can't really determine. But l think ebichu's latest releases had better songs than Momoclo's. And encore no koi is not particularly crazy but it has a lot of feeling.

Of course that's just my opinion, musical taste differs from person to person. After all this digressing I've come to the conclusion that perhaps what's missing from Momoclos latest songs is emotion... Like they're so thought out that they have less room for "spontaneity" (even when spontaneity probably doesn't exist on the idol world but Momoclo made it look like it)

That's probably why I'm always waiting for the live performance of Momoclo's new songs, the recordings aren't enough to get me emotionally invested.

Sorry for the long post but I have nothing to do at work right now so I started writing about this.

As for Momokuri being scripted I don't think so. If they were such good actresses their dramas would have been better :)). And them "changing" is only natural, they're all around 20 years old, but they're still amazing and in some ways even better than before.

• August 2014
    62 Reputation
    mav said:

And just for the record, I don't think the Momokuri 2013 thing was scripted. Their manager has a long history of giving them surprise announcements, so why stop now? Not to mention the girls were such a crying mess they couldn't even sing the next few songs properly. If this was scripted, then they have some great A+ acting skills.

One correction. I also don't think it was actually scripted. I just wanted to say that the management clearly knew what they wanted to get - an emotional footage that will draw a very specific response from the fans.

After all, strong emotions on display are probably the main commodity in show business. At least, in Japan the technology of selling emotions and idol narratives is perfected to the level of rocket science. But this does not mean that everything should be scripted. Perhaps, Momokuri 2013, which was the culminating point of Momoclo's "Per aspera ad astra" narrative, is precisely the case when improvisation is best choice. Besides, the theme song of the last Momokuri was Shiroi Kaze and there are lyrics "serifu mo naku tsuzuiteiku sekai" - "'and the world goes on without a script". Well, maybe I'm reading too much into it :-))

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    Haha, I don't think I'd put Dempagumi Inc that far down on my list. They're definitely carrying the "crazy music" torch, and their live shows are pretty great. They just don't have the "other media" presence Momoclo and Ebichu do.

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    ^ I didn't meant it as in "Denpagumi.inc is the worst" but rather as "they're my 4th favorite" :))
    They're also the living proof that you can be older (they're 24 or so right?) and still rock Hyadain songs. They need to improve their live vocals a bit more before I put less >> between them and BABYMETAL

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    They don't list their ages, but it's generally accepted most of them are in their mid-20s. Pinky is 19, I think. BiS were mid-20's. There's definitely room for "unusual" adult idols.

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation
    kaminari said:

mav said:

And just for the record, I don't think the Momokuri 2013 thing was scripted. Their manager has a long history of giving them surprise announcements, so why stop now? Not to mention the girls were such a crying mess they couldn't even sing the next few songs properly. If this was scripted, then they have some great A+ acting skills.

One correction. I also don't think it was actually scripted. I just wanted to say that the management clearly knew what they wanted to get - an emotional footage that will draw a very specific response from the fans. After all, strong emotions on display are probably the main commodity in show business. At least, in Japan the technology of selling emotions and idol narratives is perfected to the level of rocket science.

Oh ok, sorry man, with the way it was worded I thought you were accusing Momoclo of acting it.

Yeah I see your point, and completely agree with you.

The reality TV aspects of the business is definitely what hooks a lot of people in.

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation

They don't list their ages, but it's generally accepted most of them are in their mid-20s. Pinky is 19, I think. BiS were mid-20's. There's definitely room for "unusual" adult idols.

What?! Pinky does NOT look Kanako's age (she looks 23 at best). Maybe Kanako looks too young, I can't tell anymore. Hell, some dempagumi.inc girls look 30 compared to Momoclo.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    Talking about dempagumi and chants, I still stand with my opinion, I don't think any composer created a song with chants in mind, it's more about their fans. Dempagumi's few latest songs are written by Hyadain, but my favorite song and their song with the most chant is Kira Kira Tune, written by not idol composer Meg Rock. Check chants for Kira Kira Tune

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    I think Dempagumi Inc have one of the best examples of crowd interaction here.

I'm a curmudgeonly dude, but even I want to be in that crowd jumping up and down.

I also think it's funny that they usually chant "MOGA MOGA" over her solos, which helps to disguise how hopeless of a singer she is.

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    That's what I'm talking about, who need "spaces" when you can chant over the girls singing =)) They do that a lot to Nana Mizuki too. It always makes me wonder how they're able to keep it together with so many people screaming things that have nothing to do with your song.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    sorry for interrupting the direction this is really good discussion is going now for a brief moment :)

On the way home I felt there was something I wanted to add to the Momoclo topic...but then after reading though mav's 2 posts on page 118 and Invader's post thereafter... well no, there is nothing more to add here I think.

Invader said:

And them "changing" is only natural, they're all around 20 years old, but they're still amazing and in some ways even better than before.

Yes, just so true! Also yes, I do think they have room for spontaneity. One can see it in -Chan! There is script of course but if that's all acting I'll saw my left foot off! Let's be greatfull they improved their singing... acting lessons...like you said...nope.
    Music-wise also agreed; not so much "yay" since 5D (musically no doubt most advanced album). Less Anime/Theme-songs, more interesting collaborations again maybe?

So, like mentioned, sorry for interrupting! Go on gentlemen.
    :)

• August 2014
    644 Reputation
    Invader said:

It always makes me wonder how they're able to keep it together with so many people screaming things that have nothing to do with your song.

Custom-fit earpieces block out like 99% of ambient sound, so all the screaming is just a muddled roar. When they want to hear the fans yelling, they pop one or both out.

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation

Custom-fit earpieces block out like 99% of ambient sound, so all the screaming is just a muddled roar. When they want to hear the fans yelling, they pop one or both out.

True, I keep forgetting that I know what is like to BE on a concert not how to GIVE one :))

I actually think about what giving a concert must feel like for the girls several times during their lives. Like.. How does it feel when they lift them in platforms and they can see the mononofu sea at their feet? Will they ever have moments in the middle of concerts where they think: "Who am I? What am I doing here?" Because it gets too surreal?

My favorite part from the making of is when they record them right before going on stage, I can feel the tension in the air. I wouldn't be able to do what they do, it's amazing to me.

• Paco

August 2014
    331 Reputation
    Invader said:

That's what I'm talking about, who need "spaces" when you can chant over the girls singing =))

Maybe I am too polite to scream when someone is singing. ;-)
    Well it is only my THEORY - nothing that I am sure of, but I am still convinced. :-)

• August 2014
    3398 Reputation
    Just came home from work, so I haven't read every line above yet :)

Just two things on my mind...
    As was mentioned above these girls have been in showbiz for ages. I think Momoka started at the ago of 2 doing commercials
    They know (and knew) EXACTLY what is expected of them. Even if not scripted they could fill in the blanks after a while themselves,
    The real characters we might never get to know. And we don't need to anyway.
    I remember Aya Matsuura talking about the early life as the super idol she was. She was able to switch on that smile and the Ayaya persona when she had to. Even when she was feeling lousy.
    Until one day when she was getting older she noticed that all of this had become a foreign part of her. And that's when she knew she had to change something.

I watched the Girls Factory appearance yesterday and during "Hai to Diamond" I suddenly thought "Wow... Kanako looks beautiful instead of cooky". And Momoka had a mature expression that I hadn't noticed before either.
    The girls went through those past years that form a human like maybe no other in the midst of limelight and seem to be coming out nicely.
    But they have changed and will continue to change. And it would be a good thing if their music and appearance will change with them

• AzureusAzureus

August 2014
    1470 Reputation
    Trick Hunter 8/20

Also it's Furuya Satomi (Tmmn) Birthday

• August 2014
    5201 Reputation
    [Event] Mezamazhi LIVE COUNTRY TOUR 2014 in Sendai supported by uP!!!

Setlist
    1. Momoclo no Nippon Banzai!
    Self-introduction
    2. MOON PRIDE
    3. Koko☆Natsu
    MC
    4. Tsuyoku Tsuyoku
    5. Ikuze! Kaito Shoujo

• AzureusAzureus

August 2014
    1470 Reputation
    ^

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I love how they keep using the Greek costumes. The girls look amazing on those and the costume itself screams money when you look at it up close.