General Discussion
  • AzureusAzureus

August 2014
    1470 Reputation

• August 2014
    144 Reputation
    Invader said:

I think what bothers me a bit it's not that they don't make songs as crazy as before... It's more like their songs used to be waaaaay better than any other idol. Now I don't feel like what they're releasing is super impressive. It's been a while since one of their songs gave me the feeling of "this is the best song ever".

A lot of interesting points being made in the last few pages; I thought this was pretty close to the mark for me. I think part of the thing that made the old songs seem so exceptional was that they were designed really well to use Momoclo's craziness to full effect, so the fact that they were so good and unique was linked pretty closely to Momoclo being wacky and energetic. If Momoclo is going to evolve into a more mature personality (I don't think this is entirely necessary yet though, they still seem pretty comfortable being crazy and silly), their songs have to find something that is as compelling as the energy that was in their old stuff. Doing anisong type music is a good way to make things in a bit more mature style, but they have to somehow give it that unique feel that makes them sound like no one else. The last two singles are the kinds of songs that already get done very well by people like Nana Mizuki or Lia, so I think that might be why they feel like they don't have the same wow factor that Momoclo used to have.

• August 2014
    5201 Reputation
    ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
    Tanaka Masahiro → Momoclo
    http://telly.com/1N40GLS

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    Ha! Nice! I noticed on twitter and stuff that this had spread to Japan in the last few days. Pretty cool.

• eyelesseyeless

August 2014
    2256 Reputation
    What's with Ice Bucket Challenge? Why everyone doing it?

Edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge
    Ok, I get it :)

• August 2014
    904 Reputation
    America: taking advantage of people's need to do trending chellenges to put it towards charity.
    But it would be pretty funny seeing the girls do it as long as they know what's going on and why they're doing it. Imagine they say "WE CHALLENGE THE MONONOFUS!", gets soaked, scream and then run around laughing before dumping Kawakami and Furu-chan with ice water. maybe Sasaki-san considering he fell victim to the pies in Kanako's "Pai Matsuri"

• August 2014
    644 Reputation
    If they know what the challenge is for, do it, and donate, my respect for them would skyrocket more than it is now.

• August 2014
    5201 Reputation

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation
    ARGHHHHH I missed it by 5 MINUTES!!!!

• August 2014
    5201 Reputation

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation
    Well that was a lot more...subdued(?) than I originally thought, esp. since it's Momoclo.

I am hearing some people say the ice bucket challenge is sort of controversial in Japan.

So maybe they decided to play it safe?

• August 2014
    5201 Reputation
    ^
    As you said, In Japan, there are opinions on the pros and cons of ice bucket challenge.
    They seemed to be reading the script.
    Probably they played safe.

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    Have some time at work now so please excuse me rambling about multiple things here ;P

First of all yes! It was awesome seeing them doing this challenge. Not really a big fan of the Hipster-nature this is wraped in, but in it's core it's a very very great thing!
    Had a pretty good laugh when I heard Maa-kun nominating Momoclo, even though it was kind of expected from him :D

well...to keep the music discussion alive...

I think part of the thing that made the old songs seem so exceptional was that they were designed really well to use Momoclo's craziness to full effect, so the fact that they were so good and unique was linked pretty closely to Momoclo being wacky and energetic. (......) The last two singles are the kinds of songs that already get done very well by people like Nana Mizuki or Lia, so I think that might be why they feel like they don't have the same wow factor that Momoclo used to have.

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking earlier these days too. I think, even though the Ani/Soundtrack songs are good, I'd love to see songs ...well...how should I say this....
    ... It doesn't so much matter if a song is going to be a soundtrack or not. But, it makes a HUGE difference if it is written for Momoclo (and maybe being used, or not, as Soundtrack) or for the soundtrack (and being performed by Momoclo)! I know a lot of songs were being used, but many of them had not given me the impression that it had been written mainly for the soundtrack purpose. (Pinky J, Saraba, Moretsu just to name a few.) The last few...well..to me...they sound a bit more like soundtrack being performed by... but, opinions may differ.
    But I hope you know what I'm trying to say :)

They know (and knew) EXACTLY what is expected of them. Even if not scripted they could fill in the blanks after a while themselves,
    The real characters we might never get to know. And we don't need to anyway.
    I remember Aya Matsuura talking about the early life as the super idol she was. She was able to switch on that smile and the Ayaya persona when she had to. Even when she was feeling lousy.
    Until one day when she was getting older she noticed that all of this had become a foreign part of her. And that's when she knew she had to change something.

Yes, I think you're pretty right here, we don't know their "real" real selfs.
    What I don't think though is that they change into their idol persona. For that, at least to me, it just seems they simply don't need to. Even though being Idols, they're not that kind of group, they're kind of just to grounded for me. They don't really do "over the top cuteness" or stuff like that, run around a lot in sweatpants because they do training, fool around because everyone would do that, and so on. If they act on script or in certain situations you can immediately see that they do in fact "act" (*whisper* because they are bad actors). So, if they would be so damn good to change into a different character...well...why the "bad" acting...it wouldn't make sense.
    Having that said, I do think they are of course "different", not different characters, but they do "act accordingly". But that's normal...just take any sales-man when talking with any customer. He would act accordingly to that situation but isn't a different person. Same here wie Momoclo I think, it's their Job, so they act accordingly. Let's be honest, you can see it in their eyes most of the time that they in fact honestly enjoy what they do :)
    So yes, I think what we get to see is chosen wisely of course, but we're lucky to see a relatively big part of their characters in -Chan and Backstage material. :D

The girls went through those past years that form a human like maybe no other in the midst of limelight and seem to be coming out nicely.
    But they have changed and will continue to change. And it would be a good thing if their music and appearance will change with them

Just "Yes" !

well...sorry for the rambling once again ;)
    But did pass my time nicely

• InvaderInvader

August 2014
    1737 Reputation
    I don't follow American entertainment so I don't know there, but in KPOP everyone and their mother is doing the ice bucket challange. I think the problem with that kind of stuff is that at some point it stops being about the cause and starts being self promotion for the artists because is the "cool" thing to do. But it's natural that they did it, I've seen around tumblr that AKB (at least Mayu Watanabe) has done it too.

kurisu27 said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking earlier these days too. I think, even though the Ani/Soundtrack songs are good, I'd love to see songs ...well...how should I say this....
    ... It doesn't so much matter if a song is going to be a soundtrack or not. But, it makes a HUGE difference if it is written for Momoclo (and maybe being used, or not, as Soundtrack) or for the soundtrack (and being performed by Momoclo)! I know a lot of songs were being used, but many of them had not given me the impression that it had been written mainly for the soundtrack purpose. (Pinky J, Saraba, Moretsu just to name a few.) The last few...well..to me...they sound a bit more like soundtrack being performed by... but, opinions may differ.
    But I hope you know what I'm trying to say :)

I totally get you. Now that you mention it, they probably had more "layers" between the composer and Stardust. I mean, they were doing songs for Sailor Moon, or for thar Akumuchan (?) movie, instead of doing it for Momoclo.

What I want right now is a new album from them. That way we can get a lot of new material and it will give them the space to try new sounds. At least I think it would be appropiate after 2 singles in 3 months. I hope they take it easy and release a masterpiece.

• August 2014
    904 Reputation
    GIF of them pouring the water. the scream was a nice touch by Reni-chan XD

PS: They also donated rather than just dumping the water on their heads :D

• August 2014
    144 Reputation
    Haha, I never really expected to see the ice bucket challenge get to Momoclo. Shiorin didn't seem affected by it very much :))

Invader said:

What I want right now is a new album from them. That way we can get a lot of new material and it will give them the space to try new sounds. At least I think it would be appropiate after 2 singles in 3 months. I hope they take it easy and release a masterpiece.

That would probably be good - it's been long enough that I could see one maybe being made next year. With respect to the stuff about writing songs tailored to Momoclo, we also need more Narasaki songs, because he really knows how to do it well :)

• mavmav

August 2014
    171 Reputation

That would probably be good - it's been long enough that I could see one maybe being made next year. With respect to the stuff about writing songs tailored to Momoclo, we also need more Narasaki songs, because he really knows how to do it well :)

Kuroi Shuumatsu all the way man! (and throw in Lost Child too)

• August 2014
    60 Reputation
    +10 on Narasaki! +100 on Kuroi Shuumatsu! Such a pleasure to see how well Shuumatsu works live, and every time it gets better somehow (not only 'cause Reni's now being cuddled) - at GF14 they really nearly wrecked the place like some mentioned in the GF thread.
    And if you compare that to Pinkey J one could say Narasaki did a pretty good job of evolving together with them musically.

• August 2014
    262 Reputation
    Narasaki's awesome. We're definitely due for some new Narasaki x Momoclo material.

• August 2014
    242 Reputation

Invader said:

I agree. I'd love to hear a bunch of new material at once. After all, the music is why I love and follow Momoclo. Besides, two years between albums seems reasonable, so I'm hoping for an early-to-mid-2015 full-length release. As the girls won't have to write the album by themselves I think it's possible. Besides, there are already 3 lead tracks off singles that could appear, GOUNN, 泣いてもいいんだよ and MOON PRIDE. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if one of the GOUNN B-sides appeared. Having said that, the more new music, the better of course!