General Discussion
  • April 2015
    3398 Reputation

• AzureusAzureus

April 2015
    1470 Reputation
    The doll is made of plastic so its durable. momomofu have posted on the Official Merchandise available for purchase.

• April 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Ah thanks for the link. 80000yen... Still tempting...

• April 2015
    449 Reputation
    Badalight said:

Does anyone know how much the members of Momoclo make? I don't know if that's a rude thing to ask (though, Japanese taxes are public so the information should be readily available, right?). You'd imagine quite a lot considering how huge they are, but I've heard horror stories of idols making next to nothing.

Taxes are not public in Japan. In the past, the tax bureau made taxes public for the top earners among public figures, but this practice is no longer continued.

For most major-label recording idols, it is generally assumed that they are paid a salary in exchange for contractually obligated work, like music releases and concerts, for their label or agency. They likely perform as "work-for-hire" artists so that they are not owed royalties and have no copyright claims, and it allows a label to add and remove members without any issue. Any work that is not performed per contract to their agency, like TV, film, and magazines, is paid through performance and appearance fees as supplemental income. There is some debate as to whether or not they earn a bonus on merchandise featuring their image, but I'm inclined to believe that they don't. In any case, there is no hard evidence to support the conjectures surrounding most any idol's earnings (although there was a leak of the Johnny's idols top earners in the past, reportedly, which lines up with this theory), so this is merely educated speculation.

• April 2015
    131 Reputation
    ^ This is most likely the source of Japan's culture of basically from the cradle entertainers -- the agencies hire them on restrictive contracts before they have any fame or bargaining power, and the other agencies collaborate to maintain the unfair labor practices.
    http://neojaponisme.com/2010/04/05/the-jimusho-system-part-one/

Here's the beginning of a lengthy series of articles about the whole thing.

• honkey5honkey5

April 2015
    304 Reputation
    Hasnt Shiorin made remarks about how "filthy rich" they are? She is likely being sarcastic isnt it?. Or maybe they are that rich

Korea loves artists that flaunt the rich lifestyle, japan that is not so much.

kwkm-p probably is a stingy as they get as a manager. Didnt the girls complained once that they couldnt buy cream puffs at convenience stores because management scolded them for spending money on that kind of stuff

• honkey5honkey5

April 2015
    304 Reputation
    Azureus said:

The doll is made of plastic so its durable. momomofu have posted on the Official Merchandise available for purchase.

I love that the Arin-Robo looks a bit scared-confused-amazed-just like the real Arin :)

• April 2015
    904 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

kwkm-p probably is a stingy as they get as a manager. Didnt the girls complained once that they couldnt buy cream puffs at convenience stores because management scolded them for spending money on that kind of stuff

They couldn't buy cream puffs because it was over the spending limit when it comes to convenience stores. Each member it's given 600 yen making a total of 3000 yen to spend at the store for a meal. They went over to about 3100 once and were scolded. They had to return the item that caused the overspending and replace it with something else.
    It was a way for them to stick to budgets and have self control when it comes to spending rather than yearning for the fancy stuff celebrities ask for. But considering it was like that since the beginning of the group, it's best to stick to that routine so they wouldn't be spoiled.

• April 2015
    33 Reputation
    Badalight said:

Does anyone know how much the members of Momoclo make? I don't know if that's a rude thing to ask (though, Japanese taxes are public so the information should be readily available, right?). You'd imagine quite a lot considering how huge they are, but I've heard horror stories of idols making next to nothing.

http://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/female-idol-estimated-annual-income-ranking/2303/

19 Reni Takagi Momoiro Clover Z 29,000,000 yen
    17 Ami E-Girls 30,000,000 yen
    17 Momoka Ariyasu Momoiro Clover Z 30,000,000 yen
    14 Haruka Kudo Morning Musume. ’14 33,000,000 yen
    14 Umika Kawashima 9nine 33,000,000 yen
    14 Ayaka Sasaki Momoiro Clover Z 33,000,000 yen
    13 Sayaka Yamamoto NMB48 35,000,000 yen
    12 Haruka Shimazaki AKB48 42,000,000 yen
    11 Rena Matsui SKE48/Nogizaka46 43,000,000 yen
    10 Yuki Kashiwagi AKB48 45,000,000 yen
    7 Shiori Tamai Momoiro Clover Z 46,000,000 yen
    7 Sayumi Michishige Morning Musume. ’14 46,000,000 yen
    7 Mayu Watanabe AKB48 46,000,000 yen
    6 Ami Kikuchi Idoling!!! 49,000,000 yen
    5 Kanna Hashimoto Rev. from DVL 50,000,000 yen
    3 Kanako Momota Momoiro Clover Z 53,000,000 yen
    3 Minami Takahashi AKB48 53,000,000 yen
    2 Haruna Kojima AKB48 59,000,000 yen
    1 Rino Sashihara HKT48 68,000,000 yen

• honkey5honkey5

April 2015
    304 Reputation
    RussIT99 said:

Badalight said:

http://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/female-idol-estimated-annual-income-ranking/2303/

19 Reni Takagi Momoiro Clover Z 29,000,000 yen
    17 Ami E-Girls 30,000,000 yen
    17 Momoka Ariyasu Momoiro Clover Z 30,000,000 yen
    14 Haruka Kudo Morning Musume. ’14 33,000,000 yen
    14 Umika Kawashima 9nine 33,000,000 yen
    14 Ayaka Sasaki Momoiro Clover Z 33,000,000 yen
    13 Sayaka Yamamoto NMB48 35,000,000 yen
    12 Haruka Shimazaki AKB48 42,000,000 yen
    11 Rena Matsui SKE48/Nogizaka46 43,000,000 yen
    10 Yuki Kashiwagi AKB48 45,000,000 yen
    7 Shiori Tamai Momoiro Clover Z 46,000,000 yen
    7 Sayumi Michishige Morning Musume. ’14 46,000,000 yen
    7 Mayu Watanabe AKB48 46,000,000 yen
    6 Ami Kikuchi Idoling!!! 49,000,000 yen
    5 Kanna Hashimoto Rev. from DVL 50,000,000 yen
    3 Kanako Momota Momoiro Clover Z 53,000,000 yen
    3 Minami Takahashi AKB48 53,000,000 yen
    2 Haruna Kojima AKB48 59,000,000 yen
    1 Rino Sashihara HKT48 68,000,000 yen

Wow. I find hard to believe that kanna hashimoto makes more $$ than AKB´S Paruru tough. Guess Soft Bank pays better than Lotte

• April 2015
    449 Reputation
    ^ Those figures and ranking are complete conjecture, do not interpret them as fact by any means.

• April 2015
    131 Reputation
    honkey5 said:

Wow. I find hard to believe that kanna hashimoto makes more $$ than AKB´S Paruru tough. Guess Soft Bank pays better than Lotte

Well, it probably matters less the exact difference in money they're each bringing into the company and more on their ability to bargain with their management. I'm not so up on specifics, but I think I heard that AKB's Sasshi has her mother handle her agency or something --- which would help her avoid getting fleeced by the execs.

• April 2015
    262 Reputation

you're insane :))

• April 2015
    32 Reputation
    female idols have a very short career (most "graduate" under 25), i wouldnt be surpriced that momoclo are making loads of money now they are at their peak. they probably are rich for 20 years olds, but this money will have to last them til they find something new in life, that being a new career (in acting, variety shows or even business) or get married.

• April 2015
    644 Reputation
    Well, I'm hoping they can continue with a career like Arashi. One thing that I admire about Johnny's groups is their staying power and just removing members while not replacing them when scandals occur.

• April 2015
    262 Reputation
    my favorite Johnny's scandal is still Kusanagi from SMAP getting drunk and running around naked in a park. if anything, it kind of made him more popular :))

I'd be surprised if Momoclo didn't transition into variety hosts at some point, but it's hard to say.

• honkey5honkey5

April 2015
    304 Reputation
    It ´d be interesting if one of the girls, and i suspect Shiorin could be, gets the path of acting in comedy/drama. Not that i want the girls to get married and retire, or even break up, but like i said before, there will come the day when jumping onstage singing Ikuze! will feel rather weird.
    I would be great if they continue and do another things, i really really wish Reni goes full time as an Enka performer, she could be another Yoko Nagayama.
    Kanako already has experience as tv host, Arin has tried her best as a seiyuu (voice actress). The girls could go into theatre without a problem, together or separate.
    It probably would be hard for Momoka being onstage by herself, she would start crying halfway into the first 5 minutes (lol)

• April 2015
    904 Reputation
    I think both Aarin and Shiorin would be fit for seiyuu since Shiorin was the first member to start when she portrayed Yume no Ke from Akumu-chan. Aarin did a good job on Saint Seiya as well so that's one way to go. But I think Aarin could go as a TV host since she's technically the main MC at the concerts but it depends on how they are as hosts for a general audience (hence the Tetsuko no Heya segment in MomoClo Chan).
    Reni can go for as either an enka performer or one of those tv hosts that tours around different areas since Burari has been doing a lot of that currently. But due to the fact they haven't come out with new solo songs yet, we can't really tell how far she can go with enka when she only has two songs. But it would be nice for her to lend her voice to other genres that would suit her.
    Momoka can go as either an actress or professional singer but again, it depends on her and how comfortable she is in different situations.

But I'm not looking towards that time yet because we don't know what will happen. Kawakami said to aim for the 2020 Olympics back in late 2013 which is in 5 years and no one knows what will happen those 5 years (not even the girls who claim to be the idols who have no idea what to do next. not even the next day). They can either become a professional singing group and ditch the idol title completely or go their separate ways depending on how they feel about their careers.

• April 2015
    77 Reputation
    2020 would be incredible. The world would be watching. They'd be older and hopefully more polished.

The world is their oyster. Whatever they decide, they've got the most important things down work ethic and humility--everything else they can learn and refine.

• April 2015
    3398 Reputation

you're insane :))

What else is new? :)