General Discussion
  • ebizoriebizori

May 2016
    2293 Reputation
    MM is Morning Musume, legendary idol group, leader of idol industry before AKB and MCZ have appeared

• MM305

May 2016
    435 Reputation
    So I've heard, I just didn't understand the MM initial.

(I almost thought you were mentioning me for a minute, LOL!)

• May 2016
    372 Reputation
    Invader said:

I still think it's cheating to count the sales of Momoclo's last two albums together to compete with just one album by another group

We're not having a competition, we're discussing which group is bigger. So "cheating" is a bit of a metaphor. But I'll go with it, why not: I think that comparison (MCZ's two albums vs. Babymetal's one) actually skews the picture in favor of Babymetal, not Momoclo. So, in that sense, it would be "cheating" in favor of Babymetal. This survey shows that Babymetal only have a fraction of Momoclo's popularity, not 80% of it.

And if we wanna use sales instead of a survey, that's fine too. But it shouldn't be Babymetal's biggest source of revenue being compared to MCZ's fourth or fifth source of revenue (they definitely make more from ticket sales, merchandising, concert DVDs, and possibly even commercials, than they do from direct music sales). If we want to decide who's bigger, we should compare total revenues for both.

Obviously, it's hard to calculate total revenue for either group exactly, because not everything is public knowledge, but my best guess would be that Momoclo outsold Babymetal by ten to one in the past 12 months, and possibly by as much as fifty to one, in the past six years. Aside from asking people directly (taking a survey, like the one above), that is the only comparison that paints an accurate picture of who's bigger.

edit: Thinking about it, maybe my sales estimate is skewed in favor of Momoclo. I think it's possible that they're that far apart, but it's also possible that it's only 4 to 1/20 to 1. But it's definitely not any closer than that. And I think it's a safe assumption that, short of becoming international stars (unlikely, since no Japanese band has ever done it), Babymetal will never be able to generate the kind of revenue that Momoclo are set to generate in 2016, for instance. Babymetal is a metal band. Momoclo is a mainstream pop/rock band. There is just no way for Babymetal to compete against a leading mainstream act, while playing metal. There aren't enough people willing to get into that.

• MM305

May 2016
    435 Reputation

Invader said:

And I think it's a safe assumption that, short of becoming international stars (unlikely, since no Japanese band has ever done it)

BM are already on their way with that, from playing on Stephen Colbert to having their biggest live show outside of Japan in Wembley Arena. Heck, I believe when it comes to which of the 2 have more INTERNATIONAL Appeal/popularity, BM definitely leads over MCZ (especially in the West)! Your more likely to apprach a BM fan than an MCZ fan in the West, but that's mostly because BM sells to countries outside of Japan while MCZ (generally) just sells exclusively to Japan, as well as BM appearing in Western magazines/TV shows/Media/etc.

In the end, the one way to even have a competion for the amount of fans between both groups i to pretty much see it from this perspective: BM fans (Japan/UK/USA/every other country) vs. MCZ fans (Japan).

• vimoralvimoral

May 2016
    1423 Reputation

• May 2016
    372 Reputation
    MM305 said:

BM are already on their way with that, from playing on Stephen Colbert to having their biggest live show outside of Japan in Wembley Arena.

I disagree that any of that means they're on their way to international stardom.
    MM305 said:

Heck, I believe when it comes to which of the 2 have more INTERNATIONAL Appeal/popularity, BM definitely leads over MCZ (especially in the West)! Your more likely to apprach a BM fan than an MCZ fan in the West, but that's mostly because BM sells to countries outside of Japan while MCZ (generally) just sells exclusively to Japan, as well as BM appearing in Western magazines/TV shows/Media/etc.

In the end, the one way to even have a competion for the amount of fans between both groups i to pretty much see it from this perspective: BM fans (Japan/UK/USA/every other country) vs. MCZ fans (Japan).

I think you severely overestimate the number of foreign fans Babymetal has. A lot of metal fans know about them, but that doesn't mean they're fans. Most metal fans are snobs, and would never embrace something like Babymetal.

And people who don't care about metal have never heard about, or will ever hear about Babymetal. Why? The answer to that is very obvious: because Babymetal plays metal and hard rock. Metal and hard rock is not popular, and it does not sell in the West.

The notion that international fans will sustain Babymetal is almost as unrealistic as the notion that international fans could sustain Momoclo. They're both primarily Japanese acts, and they both need to rely primarily on the Japanese market for their revenue. International sales are a fraction of Japanese sales...for both acts. Looking at international sales is pointless. They're insignificant. If anything, performing and promoting internationally is costing MCZ and Babymetal more money than they are selling. The only reason Babymetal do it is to gain prestige at home (and I suspect the only reason Stardust sends Momoclo abroad is as a reward/team building vacation).

• MM305

May 2016
    435 Reputation
    Oh trust me, while there are metal fans who despise BM, there is just as many of them who has come to like/love them, as well as idol fans/kids/adults/male/female/actual metal bands themselves. They have on of the most diverse fan bases you will ever see!! But the ultimate proof would be searching threads about that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BABYMETAL/

Either way, my point here is that BM has certainly been growing for the past few years in both Japan and around the world, and I would have thought they at least be in the top 10 on the survey. But hey, with this new album selling nd their world tour ending in Tokyo Dome, I could potentially see them be at the top of this list next year.

• ebizoriebizori

May 2016
    2293 Reputation
    I looked up the numbers of participants in the russian communities BM and MCZ: more than 12000 BM (about the same 48/46 groups) and only about 600 - MCZ (less than in community MM or Cute)

• May 2016
    644 Reputation
    This is how I feel about just about anything nowadays.
    I only know Momoclo.

• May 2016
    144 Reputation
    About the Nikkei rankings, here's some random, rambling thoughts :P

I'm kind of surprised by some of the positions on this ranking. I actually thought μ's would come in higher, because they were in some ways the most successful non-48 idol group last year. They had pretty much the best sales figures of anyone who didn't use handshake gimmicks; not only that, but these didn't even have multiple editions - they were just plain old CDs you'd pick up at the store, so the sales they got off those were seriously impressive. Babymetal I also thought would be higher, because they have so much media momentum right now. In some ways they actually appear more popular than Perfume right now; they even outsold the new Perfume album, which I never dreamed would happen. That leads into the next thing I was going to say - maybe most of all I'm surprised that Perfume is still scoring so highly, and that they even went up. From what I've seen people's enthusiasm for them and Nakata has been dropping quite a lot, seemingly as much as enthusiasm for Momoclo, and in these years where they've topped the ranking I still don't think they have nearly the kind of impact on the scene that AKB48 always does. I find it really hard to believe that they're actually close to 40% more popular than Momoclo or AKB.

My guess as to what might be going on in these rankings is that Perfume is the kind of group that very few people dislike, so they get almost all positive results in the survey - this aggregates into a high overall score. On the other hand, the more clearly idol groups like AKB48 and Momoclo probably have more people who dislike them, so even if they have really enthusiastic fans they might end up getting their scores cut down by negative responses. Same thing with μ's - they have ultra hardcore fans who drive sales and media attention, but maybe the general public is not so keen on Love Live.

Also, with respect to Babymetal, I think they are quite a different case from Momoclo. While a lot of metal fans hate them, they do have enough standing in the metal community that they could probably get by in the international market as a normal touring metal band - lots of metal bands from Europe make enough money to keep running largely by overseas touring (maybe their novelty would wear off after a while though, who knows?). Momoclo on the other hand only has international J-pop fans to support them at best, which are a far smaller crowd than the metal community. Also, while international sales for BM would probably never equal the kind of sales you get from an idol group in Japan, they might not be insignificant either. As an example of metal band sales, the last Anthrax album sold 30,000 or so copies in the US iirc, and that is far from an insignificant number even in Japan. If BM can pull sales like that internationally it would certainly be enough to affect their marketing strategy.

• InvaderInvader

May 2016
    1737 Reputation

Invader said:

I still think it's cheating to count the sales of Momoclo's last two albums together to compete with just one album by another group

We're not having a competition, we're discussing which group is bigger. So "cheating" is a bit of a metaphor. But I'll go with it, why not: I think that comparison (MCZ's two albums vs. Babymetal's one) actually skews the picture in favor of Babymetal, not Momoclo. So, in that sense, it would be "cheating" in favor of Babymetal. This survey shows that Babymetal only have a fraction of Momoclo's popularity, not 80% of it.

I think of the comparing albums thing in a simpler way: I don't think it's fair to try to slap other fandoms in the face saying Momoclo's last album sold 180,000 copies against the other group's xxxxxxx (in this case we're talking BABYMETAL but it could be anyone). When in fact that was for two albums.

I don't care how much they sold but when we use the two albums combined to talk about their success it feels like we're trying to inflate sales. That also makes me think that lately we're feeling insecure about Momoclo when we shoulnd't, they have enough accomplishments to go around so there's nothing wrong with saying they sold 90,000 or that their last two albums sold 90k each.

BABYMETAL is great, Momoclo is also great, no matter the percentages of popularity, sales, recognition or whatever.

Edit: changed the numbers because ebizori says they're already at 90k each

• ebizoriebizori

May 2016
    2293 Reputation
    already it's about 90k for each album)

• May 2016
    372 Reputation
    Invader said:

I don't care how much they sold...

BABYMETAL is great, Momoclo is also great, no matter the percentages of popularity, sales, recognition or whatever.

Fine, you don't care about how much they sold. It's all the same to you. Got it. Your lack of interest has been registered. Now, please, I would like to get back to having a conversation about this subject you're not interested in. Preferably, without being reminded again that you don't care.

The only reason why these groups exist, by the way, is sales. As soon as they stop selling, they will be disbanded. So I have a reason for caring about this. And I don't think it's unreasonable to be allowed to have a factual conversation on the subject, without you taking it as a "slap in the face", and feeling the need to interrupt just to point out that you don't care.

Guess what: you don't care about sales, and I don't care that you don't care. I'd like to talk about it anyway.
    Invader said:

I think of the comparing albums thing in a simpler way: I don't think it's fair to try to slap other fandoms in the face saying Momoclo's last album sold 180,000 copies it feels like we're trying to inflate sales.

Now you're just making stuff up. No one here said that Momoclo's last album sold 180,000. We said that their last two albums sold that many. And it's not inflating sales, because it's true. That's how many they sold.

• InvaderInvader

May 2016
    1737 Reputation
    ^ Are we on edge or what? Come on, what I have a problem with is when we start comparing with other groups and say misleading stuff. If we talk about BABYMETAL their last album sold more than Momoclo's last album, we mononofu would be the only ones to consider Momoclo's last album sales were 180,000 (and yes, that has been said, here and on other places)

What I don't want is for the Momoclo fans to start picking fights with other fandoms because we feel superior, we are better than that.

We can talk about sales all you want but let's respect other groups sales too, no need to put anyone down. Sales are important but as long as they're not flopping it doesn't matter. I follow groups who sell 7,000 or less and I'm proud of then either way.

Also we have to get mentally ready for sales to keep declining, not just Momoclo but pretty much any idol except some very few cases. So taking it too seriosly will only bring us heartbreak.

Cheer up man we can talk about anything you want, I have no problem with that, I was just saying what I thought.

Sorry if I have spelling mistakes but I'm on mobile and it's harder than usual.

• ebizoriebizori

May 2016
    2293 Reputation
    What a fight, guys! Make it easy. Just your opinions, not provocative stuffs.

• ebizoriebizori

May 2016
    2293 Reputation
    new information about Babymetal's album sales: 133k (in March) + 48k (in April) = more than 180k

and it's still in daily top 10

• InvaderInvader

May 2016
    1737 Reputation
    This thread only moves when we're fighting over something >:) I knew it was going to happen the moment a ranking came up.

To keep the hate coming I'll share other unpopular opinions of mine:

- Kanako looked better with short hair.
    - They should switch centers, not always Kanako.
    - Their shows are too long (less talk, more action) - I know since they spend so much money on stages they want to used them for long, but some times it's too long and I'm thankful I can pass the talking parts.

Spoiler:
    - Hyadain's best song is not a Momoclo song
    - I love Sis Anger (BABYMETAL) more than I love anything in Amaranthus or Hakkin no Yoake (yes, even mahorovacation)

Please always take everything I say as a half-joke, I'm a joker,
    Spoiler:
    I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one ♫

• May 2016
    306 Reputation
    isn't it a little silly to compare Babymetal and Momoclo? Momoclo is a jpop idol legend in my opinion. Their place is established, but their peak has came and gone. The fact they still seem to be looking to grow and take chances from an artistic and performance point of view says a lot to me.

Babymetal on the other hand is currently a trend. Right now they are popular in many circles, but like countless other trends they easily could fade away in no time. (not saying they will because I am a fan and hope they don't)

• MM305

May 2016
    435 Reputation
    Let's just remember this particular statement from honkey5 when it comes to sharing opinions:

Ok, i will say just this:

Opinions are good. Opinions are welcome. Even the most unpopular ones, since they sometimes make you see thing on a different way. Outside the box, so to speak.

BUT opinions are subjective.

And as such, they are susceptible of being not only refuted but even ridiculized. Because that's what is expected on a forum. Do you think Momoka is overrated as a singer? Good. But if you openly say so, dont expect people to pat you in the back and say "right? I think so too! Gimme five!" That isnt how things are. And even worse on a forum, when the anonimity of the net allows posters to be openly rude.

Source: http://momoiroclover.net/discussion/comment/26239#Comment_26239

EDIT: With that said, I strongly disagree with your first two points about Kanako, I don't have knowledge on what songs Hyadin was a part f, and I certainly don't think Sis. Anger is better than the 2 albums.

• MM305

May 2016
    435 Reputation
    iheartmcz said:

isn't it a little silly to compare Babymetal and Momoclo? Momoclo is a jpop idol legend in my opinion. Their place is established, but their peak has came and gone. The fact they still seem to be looking to grow and take chances from an artistic and performance point of view says a lot to me.

Babymetal on the other hand is currently a trend. Right now they are popular in many circles, but like countless other trends they easily could fade away in no time. (not saying they will because I am a fan and hope they don't)

What's funny is that a lot of people everyone that after 2014, the year they started to grow big. Two years later, they are now about to perform at their biggest solo event: Tokyo Dome!

Plus, I think there is something to say about Momoclo that despite not being at that peak anymore, they still seem to be very big when it comes to sales/popularity compare to most other idol groups.