General Discussion
  • honkey5honkey5

November 2015
    304 Reputation

That's what the audience expects. And not all viewers are Mononofu (as hard as that is to believe) :)
    The other acts on Kouhaku deserve the attention as well. And in showbusiness nothing is as old as yesterdays's news

Regarding my past comments on AKB (which i admit werent exactly accurate).... AKI-P has a better understanding of what the audiences want. He was, after all, one of the forerruners of the entire idol system with Onyanko Club.

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    The next-to-last missing kwkm LoGirl episode (#24 September 29)
    Ahrin and jr http://momoirocloverz.wikia.com/wiki/Aoba_Mori
    http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=94268
    image image
    Spoiler:
    image image
    image image
    image image

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

I disagree with all due respect :)
    Kawakami is in the business long enough not to expect something like support.
    And for what? NHK doesn't owe him anything. They go by a mixture of tradition and what was hot this year.
    That's what the audience expects. And not all viewers are Mononofu (as hard as that is to believe) :)
    The other acts on Kouhaku deserve the attention as well. And in showbusiness nothing is as old as yesterdays's news

Maybe I'm blinded by fandom (though I doubt it, I have pretty good taste in entertainment, not just of the Japanese kind), but I don't see "yesterday's news", when I look at MCZ. They're turning into something really good.

And TV producers should pay attention to quality and originality, not just popularity. Anybody can pick people based on popularity. That shouldn't be a paid job. You gotta bring a little more to the table than just looking at sales figures, to contribute to the entertainment business. What is the purpose of Kouhaku, if all they do is point out who had the most sales that year? Is that really what people want to spend New Year's Eve watching?

Maybe some do, but I doubt MCZ's target audience does.

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    In reverse you are saying that they invited artists instead that don't represent quality or originality which certainly is not the case.
    And the Kouhaku hasn't been around for 65 years (and is still a goal for almost all artists) because their producers are doing a bad job.
    Plus the show is for everyone, not just the Momoclo target audience

There is just a limited amount of performers each year allowed there, and you have to always be at your peak to get invited
    And other acts were more present for most people in 2015 it seems. That's what I mean with yesterday's news.

• November 2015
    144 Reputation
    Well, in a way Kohaku is meant to be about popularity, but not just in a sales sense. It's supposed to be picking the artists who've made an impact on the general Japanese population, and who can basically appeal to the widest possible range of audiences. Just considering this though, I think Momoclo still probably should have qualified to get in - I mean, miwa is in there and isn't she pretty much known mostly for appearing with Momoclo? However, I think it's true what some people have said - that the idol wave is dying down in general and so Kohaku isn't interested in having as many performers of that type. With Love Live and Nogizaka, two new additions, being the biggest stories in the idol-related world this year, and less idols in total selected, it's going to be very tough for other idol groups to get in at all, even if they probably would have made it if things were like recent years.

As a side note though, I think Momoclo hasn't had as strong an impact this year as they did before. They've kind of been trying to aim in a more mainstream direction lately, and that doesn't really make them stand out like they used to. With their sales and media prestige taking a bit of a hit, I'm hoping they'll actually go back toward the more experimental style that imo was a big part of what made them rise to greatness in the first place. At any rate, I'm very interested to see what the plan will be with the two upcoming albums.

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

From the new episode of あたしの音楽 (same performances as above in momomofu's post)
    (thanks to ici_jp for the ts!)
    http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otogumi/mymusic/
    http://otn.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/914200242.html

http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=94266
    image image

Spoiler:
    image image
    image image
    image image

Okay, so I'm biased with my greenish glasses. But still.... :)

I just love how Momoka is developing constantly
    Her singing has improved enormously the past year.
    She learned how to play drums (at least a bit. Lol )
    and has frequently now accompanied herself on guitar on different shows
    While her playing is still rudimentary she is tackling the task of getting better
    It's a bit like it was in the beginning when Momoka joined Momoclo.
    She was put in there to bring them on a new level performance wise and it worked
    And I feel the others will have to pick up their tempo in the near future as I see a bit of stagnation there lately

This was mainly an episode for coalamode. (コアラモード.) and seiyu unit earphones (イヤホンズ) with some extra Momoka thrown in who Kikuchi P seems to adore and push.

1. A duet with coalamode's Annu, both on guitar with Satoshi Takebe at the piano: Yuming's "Dandelion ~Osozaki no Tanpopo~" which Momoka has sung on Folk Mura before. I left the short talk in there in which the main guests speak about Momoclo and her

2. Funk Queen Momoka's performance of "Kyouiku" with Zanichi Funk. That combo had recorded the song for the "Momoclo★All Stars 2012" album

3. A "new" song for her: Masashi Sada's "Tobiume" accompanied by violinist Chieko Kinbara

I left out some talk about Momoclo and a performance of "Moon Pride" by the main guests. But I have put it on DM for those interested

"Ariyasu san wa, idoru desu keredomo" might be the greatest compliment she could get. And totally deserved.

But it applies to all five of them, in my opinion. One way or another, they're all doing things beyond what an idol would do. Even Ahrin, the "idol" of Momoclo.

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

In reverse you are saying that they invited artists instead that don't represent quality or originality which certainly is not the case.

Ok, let's cut to the chase then: what's original about AKB48? Or E-girls? (they're invited too, right?)

To me, that's like inviting Justin Bieber, and passing on Amy Winehouse, because his sales are better the last 12 months. That's not something's that's gonna help you in the long term: Amy Winehouse is gonna be remembered a hell of a lot longer than Justin Bieber.

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    A year's end show watched for decades by all of Japan young and old isn't about Amy Winehouse. That would be a totally different show. A very worthy and interesting one indeed but at a different time and place.
    The Kouhaku is the Kouhaku. And for a good reason. With Justin Bieber :)
    (Celebrating the new year with a glass of champagne in my hand I wouldn't necessarily listen to Winehouse either. Lol)

Both AKB and E-Girls are excellent quality acts that have been more popular than Momoclo in the mainstream this year and certainly deserve to be there.
    And the Kouhaku's criteria have been the same for 65 years. That show IS about the most popular.

But it applies to all five of them, in my opinion. One way or another, they're all doing things beyond what an idol would do. Even Ahrin, the "idol" of Momoclo.

No doubt about that (and Ahrin is actually one of the better ones!) But that doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. And especially when it comes to singing listening to some performances on "Folk Mura" can be a rather painful experience. They really have to work on that in my opinion

They've kind of been trying to aim in a more mainstream direction lately, and that doesn't really make them stand out like they used to. With their sales and media prestige taking a bit of a hit, I'm hoping they'll actually go back toward the more experimental style that imo was a big part of what made them rise to greatness in the first place.

Good point

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

A year's end show watched for decades by all of Japan young and old isn't about Amy Winehouse. That would be a totally different show. A very worthy and interesting one indeed but at a different time and place.
    The Kouhaku is the Kouhaku. And for a good reason. With Justin Bieber :)
    (Celebrating the new year with a glass of champagne in my hand I wouldn't necessarily listen to Winehouse either. Lol)

Stop it. Amy might not be your first choice, but if it was between her and Justin Bieber, you'd pick Amy Winehouse.

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    On December 31 10PM I wouldn't wanna listen to neither :)

But that's not the point. I'm not mainstream. This show is for the whole of Japan.
    And this year NHK has deducted that people prefer AKB over Momoclo.

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

But that's not the point. I'm not mainstream. This show is for the whole of Japan.
    And this year NHK has deducted that people prefer AKB over Momoclo.

That wasn't really my point though. In terms of originality and quality, Momoclo is well over AKB. In terms of popularity, they're well over Miwa (and several other acts who got an invitation).

I understand that Kouhaku needs to strike a balance between originality/quality and popularity (I'm not against inviting Miwa, who's a talented musician). But leaving out Momoclo isn't that balance. It's just them being out of touch with popular culture. They're not doing their jobs. I think Momoclo will come back strong, and prove them very, very wrong, by being both original and popular.

I don't think Momoclo will refuse their next Kouhaku invitation (simply because Kawakami isn't all powerful at Stardust, he has corporate bosses who don't take chances), but I definitely think they will get invited again, and I also think refusing to accept would be a nice statement to make.

• RevanRevan

November 2015
    230 Reputation
    thing is NHK Kouhaku been using the same method in chosing which is popular .... a person can buy 500.000 copy of a group and that group is seen popular by NHK(Kouhaku), beside NHK(Kouhaku) looks like "catch a cold" lately, uhuk CoolJapan UHUK , and in a long term aiming Mainstream as in as Musician/Singer Group is much better than aiming as "idol group", all i can say is Let it go Let it goooo xD, no point in bickering about weather they invited or not by now, the girls have accepted it(in a hard way) so why not just see ahead "dakara ima wa mae ni susumanakya ne" givee a BIIIIGG smile to the world and say "IMA KARA! IMA KARA HONTOU NO TATAKAI HAJIMEMAS! FIIGGGHHHTTOOO, and start to pray that FATSO didn't Make another mess, and they really prepared the Album, If only one is ready by the time to launch it no need to force to Launch 2 :)

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Oh there's no harm in arguing a bit :)

Every artist not invited and his/her/their fans will feel the same I'm sure.
    And I can't judge whether they are "out of touch with popular culture" or spot on this year as I don't live in Japan (aside from being an idol fan as well which means I'm biased)
    NHK had their reasons and they have been successful picking the artists for decades.
    And coming back to the original point this is something everyone has to respect. kwkm as well.
    And rather than being in the pouting corner shouting "hey if you don't want us we don't want you either" he should sit down and think why they weren't invited

But then again Momoclo is what it is because of his emotional ways. For better or for worse. And in the end that's a good thing

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

Who would you want to listen to? (personally, I would go with the best band in history: Zeppelin)

• November 2015
    3398 Reputation
    Okay I counter with Deep Purple. Made in Japan :)
    I can still remember doing homework when "Smoke on the Water" hit the charts. Lol

Though the only answer will have to be Momoclo of course

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

Oh there's no harm in arguing a bit :)

Way to ruin the argument, by saying something I agree with :).

And coming back to the original point this is something everyone has to respect. kwkm as well.
    And rather than being in the pouting corner shouting "hey if you don't want us we don't want you either" he should sit down and think why they weren't invited.

But then again Momoclo is what it is because of his emotional ways. For better or for worse. And in the end that's a good thing

I would prefer to call it taste rather than emotion. Taste is not 100% rational thought, but it's a lot more than just emotion. He's not just doing whatever he feels like doing. He has spent his life thinking about art and entertainment, and I think he has developed a pretty sophisticated pallet, which he has put to good use by guiding Momoclo towards becoming very successful.

And yes, that's a good thing. He has relied on his own taste in art and entertainment, to build a very successful band. That's something none of the producers of Kouhaku have achieved. So, why should he worry about why Kouhaku didn't pick Momoclo? Why shouldn't he just continue relying on his own taste instead? What makes Kouhaku producers worthy of Kawakami taking their judgement into consideration? What's so special about their judgment? All they do is look at sales and what's "mainstream". Anybody could do that. I could do that. Should Kawakami also think about what I think? I don't think so. I think he should continue trusting his own judgement over everybody else's.

Also, when you say "Kouhaku have been succesfully picking artists for decades", sure. But that's not the same people. Kouhaku's staff changed over the decades. It's not a fact that two decades ago Kouhaku would've also snubbed Momoclo.

• RevanRevan

November 2015
    230 Reputation
    lets us trace back to the begining, Before MMC exist..... KWKM out of Job(Jobless Manager),before that, he got 1 big Artist Managed, that Artist go Down he got drag down too(down to 0 again), now if i'm KWKM i'll Be atleast Upset n think "The Next Time i Made someone Big again i'll make sure i wont get draged down to the lower level again if that someone messed up", next thing he know he got thrown to manage a bunch of "no one" and to make it worse they are kids ....., if it was me i will think "meh better than nothing and i can experiment whatever i like with them, dangerous or not, if they make it than it's good if not well they are nobody(hence the brave and bold move being done by him, well there is nothing at stake anyway), fast forward , the girls got big, invited to kohaku got to perform in national stadium, now i bet he think "it's time for me to make my own base/Foundation in entertainment so i wont go back to point 0(mean start over)", now, that personal Ambition is what made him more reckless, before that, he also blinded by the invitation to make Stardust Idol kingdom, he ok it without measuring his capability(does he have good number of good man to watch over that many kids/teen) hence the 3bjr accident happen...,THIS IS ONLY MY POINT OF VIEW please don't take it TOOO Seriuously, and because of this is my point of view, i don't like to blindly ok'ed everything KWKM do and say , saying "Momoclo is what it is because of his emotional ways. For better or for worse. And in the end that's a good thing" is not ok with me, especialy that last part "in the end that's a good thing", it's a good thing that momoka didn't lose her voice and the girls is still in healthy condition(as in alive) but do you only think that it's a bad thing only if it's already unfixable ? for me before it become unfixable better do something .... (no i didn't mean to fire him but make him FOCUS by critisizing his bad decision and slap some sanity to him)

• November 2015
    372 Reputation

Okay I counter with Deep Purple. Made in Japan :)
    I can still remember doing homework when "Smoke on the Water" hit the charts. Lol

Dammit. I actually spent a New Year's Eve watching Deep Purple perform (on TV, unfortunately never caught them live, bit too young for that). Me and several of my friends are crazy about Deep Purple. So now I don't know what to say :) .

• November 2015
    372 Reputation
    Revan said:

lets just track back to the begining .... KWKM out of Job(Jobless Manager)

My best guess is that he's a "jobless manager" because he quit. I wouldn't want to be Momoclo's manager either. Sounds like a nightmare job: you have to work 80 hrs/week, and you even have to be ready to answer calls when you're sleeping.

So that "jobless manager" thing doesn't mean anything. He's still a bigshot at Stardust, and (judging by the fact that he's ...somewhat unfortunately...in control of Momoclo's social media), 100% in charge of MCZ, which is one of their biggest assets.

• RevanRevan

November 2015
    230 Reputation
    ^Really ? Did he Quit ? or is it because his previous artist (before MCZ) got exiled from entertainment industry ?, and yes he is a big shot thanks to MCZ thats why i want him to more focus on MCZ than his personal Ambition