Momoclo Haru no Ichidaiji 2014 Kokuritsu Kyougijo Taikai ~NEVER ENDING ADVENTURE Yume no Mukou e~
  • InvaderInvader

March 2014
    1737 Reputation
    momomofu said:

There are venues bigger than Nissan Stadium.

Shame on me for trusting wikipedia.

I remember Bon Jovi once said something like "I don't want to play small venues. I want to sold out the desert, twice!"

I'm happy with Momoclo mixing smaller shows like the GOUNN tour and bigger shows like those in Nissan Stadium. And if they find a place that could be their "desert" which is rarely used then I'll be more than happy.

However, I also don't think going international is the best for them. It's ok to try, but they should never neglect Japan.

Edit: surprise! I'm top of the page again.

• AzureusAzureus

March 2014
    1470 Reputation

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation
    OM617 said:

Americans just don't "get" Japanese Idols.

In America, KPop is the main thing within Asian Pop.

superman said:

they need to make a humble start some place in the U.S. Appearances in small venues like this would be ideal to help spread the word. Surely, across America there are like venues.

asan said:

unfortunately Americans can't deal with accents.

Remember guys, there is a lot more of the world than just America. :P

I think doing shows and building their fan base around the world is perfectly feasible, particularly other Asian countries and Europe. However, cracking America is definitely not a good idea or even possible i'd say. If you think of it from an American point of view (not to offend but Americans do have a tendency to do that) then the situation is pretty futile but if you look at it from the rest of the world it's more hopeful. :) Europeans particularly are very open to other languages and have fewer problems with foreign media or subtitles. Apart from us English of course who are generally a little more home-country-minded compared to other Europeans! (not counting myself among them)

Lets all just keep hoping and praying, wherever we may be. :p

• March 2014
    904 Reputation
    Gomen ne, Goat-san. But I do agree with looking at more than just America (even though one of the commentators was me). Look at what happened at Japan Expo in France! A lot of people went to watch their live perf when they had 3! (although one of them was for Sailor Moon and lasted only 3 songs but it's still a live!)

• asan

March 2014
    462 Reputation
    I'm german. I've been to concerts of japanese artists that didn't even fill a small venue, and that includes anime conventions. MomoClo have no chance.

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation

Look at what happened at Japan Expo in France! A lot of people went to watch their live perf when they had 3!

Precisely. ;) It IS possible and will happen...

If not i'll just have to go to Japan and see them. :p

On a side note i may be going travelling to Japan in the nearish future and will definitely time it to coincide with a momoclo concert. But shhh forget i ever told you anything, i'll update you when i've thrashed out the details which will be a matter of months. :p It's far to early to get excited but if it does all fall into place... i will explode. O_o

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation
    asan said:

I'm german. I've been to concerts of japanese artists that didn't even fill a small venue, and that includes anime conventions. MomoClo have no chance.

Momoclo are a different story as we know, they have the power!

• asan

March 2014
    462 Reputation
    MrGoat said:

Momoclo are a different story as we know, they have the power!

Their power is called Stardust and doesn't reach very far.

I want them to conquer the world, but it seems so unlikely that it's a waste of time to dream about it.

Looked at another way, the point of idols isn't the music, maybe not even the concerts, but the reality TV aspect. And that's impossible to translate.

• March 2014
    904 Reputation
    Conquering the world is too big of a dream but I'm pretty sure MomoClo is aiming for some international attention about now considering they got into Kouhaku (twice to be exact!) and performed in Kokuritsu a year after they announced the goal. If MomoClo has that kind of power in popularity after working so hard, there's no doubt they'll be gaining international attention as long as they continue to work harder towards their goals. I remember momonofu-san posted a translation of the girls' goals and a lot of them wanted to go international. Even if they can't, it's best to cheer them on no matter how small the venue is if they go overseas.

• asan

March 2014
    462 Reputation

I remember momonofu-san posted a translation of the girls' goals and a lot of them wanted to go international.

As I remember it they want to go abroad for sightseeing and dining with Momokurochan. Nobody mentioned concerts.

But yes, I'm preaching to people I know all the time, and if MomoClo comes to Europe will do what I can. Unless it's a huge convention with crazy queues full of french people in an expensive city ^^;

• MrGoatMrGoat

March 2014
    99 Reputation
    Well said Mizuki-chan.

Asan, have some faith!

• eyelesseyeless

March 2014
    2256 Reputation
    From Momokuro Chan

• March 2014
    38 Reputation

Asan, have some faith!

Asan is our resident wet blanket pragmatic. Every forum has one. He is correct that Momoclo have little or no chance of being more than a cult group in the western world. But he's wrong to say it's a waste of time to dream about it. "Dreaming is free," sayeth Blondie. Momoclo and other idol groups are my escape from the grey reality of life, and I enjoy dreaming about them like a giddy schoolboy. I know I'll probably never see them live, but it's still fun to talk about them touring my hometown. Let us have our dreams. I-)

• March 2014
    144 Reputation
    I think it's pretty possible for Momoclo to get international fame, but the thing is that it probably won't happen by any kind of planning or marketing. Even K-pop, which happens to be trendy now, can't really penetrate international markets much by touring or TV promotion. In the case of Kyary, she happened to have a PV that managed to get some viral success, and that made more people aware of her than any kind of active promotion would have. Momoclo just needs to have some luck and get their material noticed by the mainstream (I think some of their videos already were weird/silly enough to have had the potential for this), and then the world will be asking for them to come.

At any rate, I think there's still ground for Momoclo to cover in Japan, so going international can wait a little while still. :P

• March 2014
    65 Reputation
    asan said:

Sorry, I don't think kwkm will nor should go international.

I mostly agree with this. KPP got lucky: the right video and the right song (that wasn't even released as a single) at the right time. It got clicks for being weird, and people in the West were able to glom onto it because the chorus is easy to say and repeats endlessly (pon pon wei wei wei pon pon wei pon wei pon pon). Perfume has been attempting the international thing, and their first song with this in mind was "Spending My Time" which just repeats "Spending my time/Loving you forever" over and over. Especially in the US, pop songs need to be 3-4 minutes with focus on the chorus – they'd have to abandon their long, meandering songs. And what would they be able to sing in English? "I want you/I need you"? No thanks. Momokuro dumbed down for America doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Another big part of their appeal is how much Japanese culture plays a part in their music and their image. Going international may drain the appeal they have for people back home. They should focus on becoming the best damn Japanese pop group of all time. If the international thing happens by luck, great. But I'd hate to see them waste any energy and resources on it. Although if they'd open an international fan club and give members the opportunity the buy tickets, like Perfume does, I would certainly back that. :)

• March 2014
    904 Reputation
    lol "dumbed down for America"
    That's a good point there, AchiKochi-san. It does take a lot of time and energy to appeal internationally so it would be meaningless if MomoClo had to change themselves just to make it overseas (I don't want that, either. It's a scary thought for me to think about now...). But hopefully an international fan club could pull through and some of us in the FB group were hoping they could accept members outside of Japan (which will increase the size of the fanclub by a ton). But they did have a good start overseas by performing at events for small venues such as Japan Expo or the Music Festival in Malaysia or even their appearance in Germany. Baby steps are nice but overseas fans exists everywhere which is a lot of ground to cover, especially if they want to reach out to those unable to afford plane tickets or concert tickets (and even if fans do get to go to Japan for concerts, it'll still be a bit difficult with the tickets if they buy it second-handedly). But hopefully we'll be able to get some more concert footage and more small overseas perfs. It's best to have faith in them *^*

• March 2014
    139 Reputation
    Everyone has stated really interesting points.

Forgive me for the next analogy. Does anyone here like Soccer/Football? The world cup is around the corner, i know my country has slim chances of winning the cup, actually they'll be lucky if they make it to the best 16... but i want them to go, i want them to try, i want them to give their best knowing that i'll always be there to support them no matter what.

Of course, we have to be realistic, but we should never stop dreaming.

• OM617OM617

March 2014
    176 Reputation

Forgive me for the next analogy. Does anyone here like Soccer/Football?

Boring second only to Golf. The field needs to be 1/2 the size.

I'd be more than happy to travel to any show they do in North America. If they "didn't even fill a small venue", oh well. That just leaves more room for me to get closer to the stage and better chance of it being a handshake event!

• OM617OM617

March 2014
    176 Reputation
    duplicate, sorry

• March 2014
    139 Reputation
    OM617 said:

Forgive me for the next analogy. Does anyone here like Soccer/Football?

Boring second only to Golf. The field needs to be 1/2 the size.

That wasn't the point, feel free to replace it with whatever you like.