[ALBUM] 3rd "AMARANTHUS" and 4th "Hakkin no Yoake"
  • February 2016
    220 Reputation

It's not Country Roads. West Virginia doesn't come up at all. :)

I think the source of the misunderstanding is that Momoclo did at some point cover a Japanese adaptation of John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads.

But Country Rose has nothing to do with that.

Hahaha, take me home, country road...

nieain said:

I think it's Country Rose. The song has a phrase mentioning about 'blooming a red flower'.

Thanks for that.

• February 2016
    220 Reputation

Btw, I haven't read every post here and I usually don't go and read up a lot of stuff surrounding these Japanese CDs because.. well my Japanese is almost none existing, and Google Translate sucks.
    And this feels stupid to ask for, but since I'm gong to do some blog reviews for these albums, is there good folks in here who could provide me with some information regarding these two albums that could be good to know?
    Like.. why two albums, are they connected or something? Special guest songwriters or performers and so on?
    Would be really greatful :)

From a much earlier post

ebizori said:

AMARANTHUS

1. "Sansyuki -prologue-" (tatsuo)
    2. "WE ARE BORN" (Fujibayashi Shouko/tatsuo)
    3. "Monokuro Dessan" (CLEVY (C&K)/Komatsu Kazuya)
    4. "Gorilla Punch" (ANCHANG(SEX MACHINEGUNS)/AKIRASTAR)
    5. "Buryotogen Nakayashimo Monogatari" (Hyadain/Hyadain; Arrangement: Hashimoto Yukari)
    6. "Katte ni Kimi ni" (Momoiro Clover Z, NAGAE/Oosumi Tomotaka)
    7. "Seishunfu" (Nagae Kuwahara/Shihori; Arrangment:Keiichi Tomita)
    8. "Saboten to Ribbon" (Tadano Natsumi/Satoru Kousaki)
    9. "Demonstration" (Kiyoshi Ryuujin/Kiyoshi Ryuujin)
    10. "Bussouge" (Sada Masashi/Kondou Kenji)
    11. "Naitemo Ii n da yo" (Nakajima Miyuki/Nakajima Miyuki; Arrangment:Seo Ichizou)
    12. "GUNS N' DIAMOND" (zopp/Kobayashi Yasuo, Okamura Nasuhiko)
    13. "Bye-Bye de Sayounara" (Tadano Natsumi/Endou(GEEKS))
    14. "Happy Re:Birthday" (Tica·α/Tica·α (Soutaisei Riron); Arrangment:Yakushimaru Etsuko, Yamaguchi Motoki)

Hakkin no Yoake

1. "Ko No A Hajimari No Z -prologue-" (Tadano Natsumi/NARASAKI)
    2. "Tougenkyou" (Mori Yuriko/NARASAKI)
    3. "Hakkin no Yoake" (Maeda Takahiro/Yokoyama Masaru)
    4. "Mahorovacation" (Mutsumi Sumiyo/invisible manners)
    5. "Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina" (Paul Stanley/Paul Stanley, Greg Collins (KISS))
    6. "ROCK THE BOAT" (Iwasato Yuuho/Nicole Morier, Greg Kurstin)
    7. "Kibou no Mukou e" (Kuwahara Nagae/Satou Kouichi)
    8. "Country Rose ~Toki no Tabibito/Ryoujin~" (NAOTO/NAOTO(ORANGE RANGE))
    9. "Imagination" (Kiyoshi Ryuujin/Kiyoshi Ryuujin)
    10. "MOON PRIDE" (Revo/Revo(Sound Horizon))
    11. "'Z' no Chikai" (Mori Yukinojo/NARASAKI; Arrangment: NARASAKI, Yuyoyuppe)
    12. "Ai wo Tsugu Mono" (Hyadain/Hyadain; Arrangement:Tom-H@ck )
    13. "Mokkuro ni Naru Hate" (Muro Boo/Muro Sui)
    14. "Pinkzora" (Doumoto Tsuyoshi/Doumoto Tsuyoshi; Arrangement: Sogawa Tomoji)

• February 2016
    59 Reputation

It's interesting to hear your opinion there that your first impression was disappointing and later that quickly started to like them :)
    It got me a bit nervous for getting my CDs, but I'm hoping I'll like them :P

Btw, I haven't read every post here and I usually don't go and read up a lot of stuff surrounding these Japanese CDs because.. well my Japanese is almost none existing, and Google Translate sucks.
    And this feels stupid to ask for, but since I'm gong to do some blog reviews for these albums, is there good folks in here who could provide me with some information regarding these two albums that could be good to know?
    Like.. why two albums, are they connected or something? Special guest songwriters or performers and so on?

I can't read Japanese well enough either (I understand a little bit of the spoken version), but I think the reason is just that they wanted to release some more mature music, to show off their improved singing abilities. And in general, new music, to make up for last year's inactivity on that front. They couldn't go on just singing the same songs, that were written to them when they were still teens, and be successful as adults.

And one album wouldn't have been enough, there wouldn't have been room on it for more than six or seven new songs. This way, they released 20 new songs.

There aren't special guest performers on the albums, but of course they're all written by outside songwriters (not by peope on their staff), many of them famous musicians. Most notably, I think, Hyadain: he wrote a song for each album, after not working with MCZ for a long time. Also, one of the singles they added to the albums was written by Paul Stanley, from KISS.

Yeah I was thinking about this too,that the reason they released two albums was because they only had done singles in the last 3 years or so. But I have seen many bands go more than 3 years of nothing and then release one CD with 8 songs or so.
    If anyone know anything else, I'd like to know :)

Otherwise, thank you so much for this information :) Really helpful!

• February 2016
    59 Reputation

From a much earlier post

ebizori said:

AMARANTHUS

1. "Sansyuki -prologue-" (tatsuo)
    2. "WE ARE BORN" (Fujibayashi Shouko/tatsuo)
    3. "Monokuro Dessan" (CLEVY (C&K)/Komatsu Kazuya)
    4. "Gorilla Punch" (ANCHANG(SEX MACHINEGUNS)/AKIRASTAR)
    5. "Buryotogen Nakayashimo Monogatari" (Hyadain/Hyadain; Arrangement: Hashimoto Yukari)
    6. "Katte ni Kimi ni" (Momoiro Clover Z, NAGAE/Oosumi Tomotaka)
    7. "Seishunfu" (Nagae Kuwahara/Shihori; Arrangment:Keiichi Tomita)
    8. "Saboten to Ribbon" (Tadano Natsumi/Satoru Kousaki)
    9. "Demonstration" (Kiyoshi Ryuujin/Kiyoshi Ryuujin)
    10. "Bussouge" (Sada Masashi/Kondou Kenji)
    11. "Naitemo Ii n da yo" (Nakajima Miyuki/Nakajima Miyuki; Arrangment:Seo Ichizou)
    12. "GUNS N' DIAMOND" (zopp/Kobayashi Yasuo, Okamura Nasuhiko)
    13. "Bye-Bye de Sayounara" (Tadano Natsumi/Endou(GEEKS))
    14. "Happy Re:Birthday" (Tica·α/Tica·α (Soutaisei Riron); Arrangment:Yakushimaru Etsuko, Yamaguchi Motoki)

Hakkin no Yoake

1. "Ko No A Hajimari No Z -prologue-" (Tadano Natsumi/NARASAKI)
    2. "Tougenkyou" (Mori Yuriko/NARASAKI)
    3. "Hakkin no Yoake" (Maeda Takahiro/Yokoyama Masaru)
    4. "Mahorovacation" (Mutsumi Sumiyo/invisible manners)
    5. "Yume no Ukiyo ni Saitemina" (Paul Stanley/Paul Stanley, Greg Collins (KISS))
    6. "ROCK THE BOAT" (Iwasato Yuuho/Nicole Morier, Greg Kurstin)
    7. "Kibou no Mukou e" (Kuwahara Nagae/Satou Kouichi)
    8. "Country Rose ~Toki no Tabibito/Ryoujin~" (NAOTO/NAOTO(ORANGE RANGE))
    9. "Imagination" (Kiyoshi Ryuujin/Kiyoshi Ryuujin)
    10. "MOON PRIDE" (Revo/Revo(Sound Horizon))
    11. "'Z' no Chikai" (Mori Yukinojo/NARASAKI; Arrangment: NARASAKI, Yuyoyuppe)
    12. "Ai wo Tsugu Mono" (Hyadain/Hyadain; Arrangement:Tom-H@ck )
    13. "Mokkuro ni Naru Hate" (Muro Boo/Muro Sui)
    14. "Pinkzora" (Doumoto Tsuyoshi/Doumoto Tsuyoshi; Arrangement: Sogawa Tomoji)

Oh thanks, I missed this post :)

• February 2016
    1238 Reputation

BTW - is it Country ROADS or Country ROSE?? I've seen it translated as both.

http://www.mczalbum.com/ says Country Roads.

I'm kinda wondering though if it's meant to be both.

• February 2016
    372 Reputation

Interesting.

I think it's just a mistake. In katakana, roads would be written ロードズ, not ローズ, the way it is there.

• February 2016
    144 Reputation

Yeah I was thinking about this too,that the reason they released two albums was because they only had done singles in the last 3 years or so. But I have seen many bands go more than 3 years of nothing and then release one CD with 8 songs or so.

Another thing that might be helpful is that if you go to the mczalbum.com site, under the individual song previews it lists all the musicians who participated in each song. I can't read Japanese though, so the names don't mean much to me. :-/

I think a lot of the reason there was two albums is that there were too many singles to really fit into one album. There also does seem to be a theme behind making two of them, although I'm not exactly sure what it is. I think someone on the Facebook group said that it's "dreams while awake" vs. "dreams while sleeping"; to me, they seem to be about transcending from an old life (Amaranthus) to something else (HnY). Knowing more of the lyrics on HnY would probably help a lot.

On a side note, after listening to the albums a lot more, I'm finding that my first opinions have changed a fair bit. When I just went through the songs a little at a time, I liked HnY more because more of the songs really grabbed my attention, but now I'd say that Amaranthus is definitely the stronger album in terms of listening to the whole thing at once. The songs I'd listen to the most just on their own are still mainly on HnY though - I can keep listening to the 5 songs going from Country Roads/Rose? to Ai wo Tsugo Mono without getting too sick of them. A couple of other highlights:

- I kind of had the same opinion of Demonstration and Imagination originally, but now I like Imagination quite a lot more. I guess the tunes just seem more memorable, and I like how intense the synth and drum patterns are.
    - Bye-Bye de Sayounara became a standout for me - it really captures the feel of the rebirth/celebrating life theme that Amaranthus seems to have.

• February 2016
    59 Reputation

Another thing that might be helpful is that if you go to the mczalbum.com site, under the individual song previews it lists all the musicians who participated in each song. I can't read Japanese though, so the names don't mean much to me. :-/

I think a lot of the reason there was two albums is that there were too many singles to really fit into one album. There also does seem to be a theme behind making two of them, although I'm not exactly sure what it is. I think someone on the Facebook group said that it's "dreams while awake" vs. "dreams while sleeping"; to me, they seem to be about transcending from an old life (Amaranthus) to something else (HnY). Knowing more of the lyrics on HnY would probably help a lot.

On a side note, after listening to the albums a lot more, I'm finding that my first opinions have changed a fair bit. When I just went through the songs a little at a time, I liked HnY more because more of the songs really grabbed my attention, but now I'd say that Amaranthus is definitely the stronger album in terms of listening to the whole thing at once. The songs I'd listen to the most just on their own are still mainly on HnY though - I can keep listening to the 5 songs going from Country Roads/Rose? to Ai wo Tsugo Mono without getting too sick of them. A couple of other highlights:

- I kind of had the same opinion of Demonstration and Imagination originally, but now I like Imagination quite a lot more. I guess the tunes just seem more memorable, and I like how intense the synth and drum patterns are.
    - Bye-Bye de Sayounara became a standout for me - it really captures the feel of the rebirth/celebrating life theme that Amaranthus seems to have.

Interesting thoughts there, and thank you for sharing :) And thanks for the link, I will check it out!
    I was also in the thoughts of it maybe be like you said, too many singles so they had to put out two albums to get out some new material as well. Personally I think they should have released just a few singles, maybe just 2 or so.. and then release full albums. And if they insist on going with a lot of singles, do a singles compilation CD instead and later on new songs for an album.

I haven't read the lyrics but I'm having a little hard time feeling that these could be concept albums since the songs are all written by different people, and some singles like Moon Pride, the Dragon Ball Z song and Naitemo doesn't fit to it, I think..

Haha don't tease me more with how good these songs are, my package has arrived in my country but is stuck at customs right now.. fucking bandits.

• February 2016
    220 Reputation

I think someone on the Facebook group said that it's "dreams while awake" vs. "dreams while sleeping"; to me, they seem to be about transcending from an old life (Amaranthus) to something else (HnY). Knowing more of the lyrics on HnY would probably help a lot.

I saw somepalce (twitter prob) about the two dreaming concepts.

For me, if you take the two in order - Amaranthus is the life cycle Conception (embryo) - Birth (WE ARE BORN) -> Death (Bye Bye de Sayonara) -> reincarnation (Happy RE:Birthday). This is really just my guessing as I have little to no translation skills. But thematically this is what I think (again, everyone has their own opinion). I also think you throw Seishunfu (Graduation) and Saboten to Ribbon (Marriage?) in there. Someone else said it - its like Momoclo The Musical.

BTW - I think of the male voice in Bye Bye de chorus as DEATH, right?

Then, HnY would then be the reincarnation album...more lofty, dreamy, etc? I'm really talking out of my ass, but its the paradise, platinum dawn, dreams, time traveling, and Pink Skies <- which is awesome!<br />

• February 2016
    144 Reputation
    ^ I'll ramble a bit more on this, although I'm in the same boat as you as I don't actually know most of the lyrics.

I kind of thought of the male choruses as a funeral procession, except that instead of mourning they're celebrating, which leads to the exultant la las after the choruses. I can totally imagine 21-gun salutes and such going with that part :P

What you said about HnY is pretty much what I think it's meant to be about as well. I think the death in Amaranthus is supposed to represent a transformation to a higher state, which gets shown in the more esoteric stuff on HnY. It's kind of similar to the interpretation of the Death tarot card (any Persona players here will be familiar with this one lol); I guess it probably is supposed to give a sense of going from old to new as well, which someone mentioned early on when it was first announced that there would be two albums.

• February 2016
    59 Reputation
    Interesting thoughts there guys, or girls (I don't know your gender XD). But are these concepts coming from official sources or just fan speculations? :)

• February 2016
    144 Reputation
    ^ The one about dreams while awake and dreams while asleep is somewhat official, as someone mentioned it in Momoclo-Chan. The other ones are personal interpretations, although I think there was mention of some sort of overall plan shown in the documentary with the limited edition that has to do with the cycle of life idea.

There's some more details on the "Momoiro Clover Z Overseas Fans" Facebook page, under one of the posts shortly after the albums were released.

• February 2016
    220 Reputation
    ^ yeah, pretty much what cinnamonpie said. Most of it is my interpretation with outside influences. But given the mood of the albums, artwork, and what you can gather from videos it seems to be pretty close (at least I convinced myself that it is). We may gave embellished the details some, but the overarching themes seem right.

• February 2016
    644 Reputation

I think someone on the Facebook group said that it's "dreams while awake" vs. "dreams while sleeping"

I said this along with some other people, but that's because the girls said it themselves at the end of an episode of Momoclo-chan.

What everyone has said makes sense since Hakkin starts with the music box of Happy re:Birthday, and I have felt that you should listen to them back to back in order to get the whole experience.

• February 2016
    59 Reputation

^ yeah, pretty much what cinnamonpie said. Most of it is my interpretation with outside influences. But given the mood of the albums, artwork, and what you can gather from videos it seems to be pretty close (at least I convinced myself that it is). We may gave embellished the details some, but the overarching themes seem right.

I think so too, but that's the beauty with music.. you are free to interpretate it and it can cause you so much different feelings :)

But if any of you guys who got the DVD and if they are saying anything more regarding the meaning of the albums, please let me know as it could be good for the review :)

• AzureusAzureus

February 2016
    1470 Reputation
    Favorite part of making "Hakkin no Yoake" when Shiorin is being grill by Kanako when she try to sing a part in "Country Rose" which is too funny.

Some cute drawings from twitter tibinekosuwano
    Spoiler:

• February 2016
    59 Reputation
    Hehe well they seem to have fun, and that's important while recording and staying together as they do :)

• February 2016
    59 Reputation
    Yay I got my CDs today :)
    Ready to fire up the CD player and enjoy in my newly home build speakers. This is gonna be awesome :)

• February 2016
    220 Reputation

What everyone has said makes sense since Hakkin starts with the music box of Happy re:Birthday, and I have felt that you should listen to them back to back in order to get the whole experience.

Oh wow, how did I miss that?!?
    Edit: I guess since its so quiet, and I've been skipping over the prologues...but still.

• February 2016
    322 Reputation
    Speaking of the prologues, I think HnY's is worthy to be played every listen. It's almost a standalone song, I love it. As for embryo, eh, it's actually like an album intro track and can be skipped without worry.